Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #127,306 of 152,202
The cost of equipment does not impress me. I have listened to many kilobuck pieces I would not put in my living room at any price.
We do blind studies and often lesser price equipment wins out.😀

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #127,307 of 152,202
Midgard Fun Facts -

- Identical to Magnius in size/inputs/outputs/buttons - New smooth black finish
- Fully-discrete circuit design - Single-ended internal amp circuit - Unique "Halo Topology" circuit
- Halo Topology only active from XLR4 output (although the XLR4 is not a fully-balanced output on the Midgard)
- Up to 5W of output power from both 6.35mm and XLR4
- $219 - Est. mid-October release date

Not sure if the Midgard will be replacing the Magnius or not.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #127,308 of 152,202
Those people will prefer a unit over the other just because it costs a bit more? Or perhaps they can help themselves using the remote to constantly switch R/C/gain changes. :wink:
????
Never mind, I am happy to try a Skoll.🤣

Many buy gear regardless of price if there is enough difference to their ears and some prefer tube phono stages. Personally I do not run tube gear in my shop very often.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #127,310 of 152,202
Midgard Fun Facts -

- Identical to Magnius in size and inputs/outputs/buttons - Has smooth black finish
- Fully-discrete circuit design - Single-ended internal amp circuit - Unique "Halo Topology" circuit
- Halo Topology only active from XLR4 output (although the XLR4 is not a fully-balanced output on the Midgard)
- Up to 5W of output power from both 6.35mm and XLR4
- $219 - Est. mid-October release date

Not sure if the Midgard will be replacing the Magnius or not.
Midgard sounds like it'll be single ended, so Magnius should still be around to serve as a lower price balanced amp, I'm guessing

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #127,311 of 152,202
Looking forward to your listening perspective. The remote control load switching is funky. Cartridge loading is pretty well defined; subjective switching is kind of silly.
It is about sound, have a good evening.🙂

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #127,313 of 152,202
Midgard sounds like it'll be single ended, so Magnius should still be around to serve as a lower price balanced amp, I'm guessing

Yeah, I think you're right.

Jason will probably keep both available for a while and see how they sell, and if one sells significantly better than the other, then he'll probably phase out the poorer selling one.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #127,314 of 152,202
Hey all, I know everyone is probably focused on the Schiit preview tonight but I am still trying to dial in my Schiit pre-amp/amplifier pairing for Zu Audio DW6 speakers (high-efficiency, semi-concentric driver, 12-ohm load). What is everyone's thoughts on the difference in sonic character, or flavor, between a Kara driving an Aegir vs. a Ragnarok 2 integrated? [There's a black Just an Amp in B-Stock right now.]

My assumption is that the Kara/Aegir combo would be a bit richer and maybe more tube-like and the Rag2 would be a little more precise and analytical and clear. Does that sound right? I think my preference would be towards the former but I don't know how critical that is for me yet on my audiophile journey.
I use a Lyr 3 to an Aegir to drive my Zu Omen IIs. The MM2 added a lot as well that wasn't there with the Modius. Tubes make a reasonably difference in the Lyr. Or step up to the Freya+.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #127,315 of 152,202
I think the Skol sounds fantastic and is exactly the kind of preamp I was hoping for. What exactly is a the XLR out for on a turntable?
There are a couple of shots of the front panel. Maybe you can make out the load inscriptions better than I can.
The first five are impedance, The last 3 appear to end in a P.

The numbers MIGHT BE 12, 62, 120?, ???, 47k, 50?P, ???P, 120?P, 200?P

I could be WAAAAY off base.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #127,316 of 152,202
Yeah, I can see people clicking the remote with wrong loads, distorting the RIAA curve and bragging about the fuller sound. LOL.

Having read your posts I will trust your review of Skool.

Yes, have a good evening!
I rarely review, my local audio group has their own impressions but at the end of the day I buy what I prefer. I may be involved in future phono preamp comparisons but I was not involved in the last. Maybe I can get them to try a Skoll.😁

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #127,317 of 152,202
I think the Skol sounds fantastic and is exactly the kind of preamp I was hoping for. What exactly is a the XLR out for on a turntable?

The first five are impedance, The last 3 appear to end in a P.

The numbers MIGHT BE 12, 62, 120?, ???, 47k, 50?P, ???P, 120?P, 200?P

I could be WAAAAY off base.
Makes sense, and it's kind of looking like similar values as mani 2. The P ones seem to be capacitive loading values in picofarads.

From mani 2 manual:

Screenshot_20230927_220915_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #127,318 of 152,202
Yeah, I think you're right.

Jason will probably keep both available for a while and see how they sell, and if one sells significantly better than the other, then he'll probably phase out the poorer selling one.

Actually Jason mentioned in the video that the Midgard might destroy Asgard sales, which makes sense because both of them are single ended, have the same dimensions while the Midgard is slightly cheaper and may sound better.

If you want balanced, then Midgard isn't going to be considered at all.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #127,319 of 152,202
OK.

Since nobody has brought it up:

1695863905759.png

Back in college days you could get 10 cans for $1. Of course, $1 was a crapload of money when *I* was in college. 🤣
Don't get me started on the topic of canned gourmet sardines...

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #127,320 of 152,202
Actually Jason mentioned in the video that the Midgard might destroy Asgard sales, which makes sense because both of them are single ended, have the same dimensions while the Midgard is slightly cheaper and may sound better.

If you want balanced, then Midgard isn't going to be considered at all.

Hard to say really considering the main selling point requires the balanced connection, even if it isn’t balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back