Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #127,111 of 155,168
Oh so true!
Growing up in Waukesha, Wisconsin I didn't think anything of the names like Ashwaubenon, Menomonee Falls, Mukwonago, Oconomowoc, and Weyauwega until my out of state cousins would come visit and trip all over their tongues ... 🤣
Oconomowoc is such a great name. It just rolls off the tongue.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #127,112 of 155,168
I attended Warminster Elementary on Street Road for 2nd and 3rd grade in the early 1950's, (I think there is a dinner there now). Johnsville Naval Air was a mile east and in between there and the school was the centrifuge that I believe, is where the early astronaut/ pilot candidates did some training. I've spent my life in Bucks constantly moving north in the county to get away from the urban sprawl. I don't get down that way much if at all anymore, the area has changed so much I could easily get lost. But I'm at my final destination now.
May you live many more years my friend.

I just heard this Zevon chorus..
… Don't let us get sick
Don't let us get old
Don't let us get stupid, all right?
Just make us be brave
And make us play nice
And let us be together tonight

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #127,113 of 155,168
Took me a hot minute to figure out how to pronounce Tuolumne, a county (and river) in northern CA and outside of a select few spots around the SF Bay Area probably by far my favorite corner of the state. Spent the first few months after moving here pronouncing it kinda French-ish, earning myself more than just a handful of raised eyebrows from the locals.
I grew up in the Weequahic section of Newark, NJ, and graduated from Weequahic High School. Weequahic is a Lenni-Lenape word for "head of the cove". You can imagine the numerous mispronunciations that it spawned.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #127,114 of 155,168
I attended Warminster Elementary on Street Road for 2nd and 3rd grade in the early 1950's, (I think there is a dinner there now). Johnsville Naval Air was a mile east and in between there and the school was the centrifuge that I believe, is where the early astronaut/ pilot candidates did some training. I've spent my life in Bucks constantly moving north in the county to get away from the urban sprawl. I don't get down that way much if at all anymore, the area has changed so much I could easily get lost. But I'm at my final destination now.
No, you are just at a waypoint of a long journey.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #127,115 of 155,168
Went to grade school on St rd and high school on York. Nativity School and Wood (89) to be specific. Grew up basically behind them and remember the Johnsville Air Base as I worked off of Jacksonville rd while in High school.

I almost never get back as I have gone about as far west as I can without being in Lancaster County.

Warminster is absolute gridlock. Heard Tesla has bought the old Pathmark across from Perkins at York and Roberts roads.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #127,116 of 155,168
What's in a name?

Living in upper Bucks County Pa, many towns have Native American Indian name derivations.

"Before the arrival of Europeans, Bucks County was occupied, and the soil owned, by Indians known as the Lenni Lenape, or original people, who dwelt on both banks of the Delaware from the mouth to its source, and reaching to the Susquehanna in the interior."

Up until a few months ago the town I lived in, geographically, was the town of Perkasie, which roughly translated to "Place where they crack hickory nuts". Or so I read many years ago in a local history book. I moved back in April, 2 miles away to a town that sounds like a marketing Mecca. Sellersville.
The US doesn't have the only odd placenames. Try Oswaldtwistle or Slaithwaite.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #127,117 of 155,168
I grew up in the Weequahic section of Newark, NJ, and graduated from Weequahic High School. Weequahic is a Lenni-Lenape word for "head of the cove". You can imagine the numerous mispronunciations that it spawned.
Indian tribes of Illinois included

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #127,118 of 155,168
The US doesn't have the only odd placenames. Try Oswaldtwistle or Slaithwaite.
Slaithwaite has it’s own Philharmonic Orchestra. Mrs F and I saw them on Saturday night playing with Barclay James Harvest, in Huddersfield, and it was a fantastic evening.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #127,120 of 155,168
Slaithwaite has it’s own Philharmonic Orchestra. Mrs F and I saw them on Saturday night playing with Barclay James Harvest, in Huddersfield, and it was a fantastic evening.
And for all those reading this and pronouncing “Slaithwaite” phonetically, round these parts it’s pronounced “Slowit”, with the Slow rhyming with Cow.

I would say “us locals round these parts”, but Slowit is two valleys away, which makes it bandit country.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #127,121 of 155,168
Oh so true!
Growing up in Waukesha, Wisconsin I didn't think anything of the names like Ashwaubenon, Menomonee Falls, Mukwonago, Oconomowoc, and Weyauwega until my out of state cousins would come visit and trip all over their tongues ... 🤣
My brother lived in Wisconsin from age 28 on, north of Milwaukee area near the lake. His last home was in Fredonia. I'd go out 3 times a year to fish, big lake for salmon and lakers and up north to the Saint Germain area for walleye, and our favorite Walleye spot was Lake Gogebic on the Michigan penninsula. I loved the State and almost relocated there several times. You could hardly throw a rock and not hit a "Welcome to...(Native American Indian name) sign. The, generally, multi-syllabic names were fun to pronounce, they flowed off the tongue like water down a river.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #127,122 of 155,168
When I first moved over to PA, I lived in Monongahela. Took me about 3 months to get my tongue around it, a lot called it Mon City. But, whilst all the locals could pronounce that, anything that was French in origin was hopelessly butchered. North Versailles is locally called North Versales.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #127,124 of 155,168
1695768381173.png

We're gonna need a bigger sinewave!

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #127,125 of 155,168
When I first moved over to PA, I lived in Monongahela. Took me about 3 months to get my tongue around it, a lot called it Mon City. But, whilst all the locals could pronounce that, anything that was French in origin was hopelessly butchered. North Versailles is locally called North Versales.

The correct pronunciation for Versailles, MO is Versales. Nevada, MO is pronounced neh VAY duh.

Locally, Chouteau Blvd. is often butchered by visitors. Crysler Ave. is also mispronounced as the auto brand. They're Show-toe and Kriss-ler, phonetically.

So is it Missouree or Missouruh? It's even debated by residents of the state. The best argument I've heard is, "You don't say Mississippah, do you?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back