Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #125,881 of 153,372
Ahhh! 😍

It is so wonderful to see bottles of spirit that I had a hand in the creation of out in the wild for people to enjoy! Cheers!!!
Sunday a bottle will also be delivered to my son in Virginia. I do like the aftertaste that reminds me of black pepper with maybe a hint of cinnamon. :beerchug:

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #125,882 of 153,372
Getting ready for Saturday!
Show and Tell Time!
There's more yet to pack!
Going to be fun!
1694019131349.png
1694019101215.jpeg

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #125,885 of 153,372
Good morning all! I’m a newbie here, but have been lurking long enough to have read “Schiit Happened”.
I currently have two “piles-o-Schiit” - Main system is Yggdrasil OG / Rag 2 driving HD650. Bedside system is a Jotunheim 1 with a recently purchased Bifrost 2/64
I have been wondering whether it is worth upgrading my Jot 1 to a Jot 2, given the difference the Bifrost made.
Does anyone have any experience with both J1 and J2, that might be able to render an opinion?

Thanks & Regards

MC

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #125,886 of 153,372
Good morning all! I’m a newbie here, but have been lurking long enough to have read “Schiit Happened”.
I currently have two “piles-o-Schiit” - Main system is Yggdrasil OG / Rag 2 driving HD650. Bedside system is a Jotunheim 1 with a recently purchased Bifrost 2/64
I have been wondering whether it is worth upgrading my Jot 1 to a Jot 2, given the difference the Bifrost made.
Does anyone have any experience with both J1 and J2, that might be able to render an opinion?

Thanks & Regards

MC
I have both the Jot 1 and 2. Actually listening to the Jot 1 with my Audeze LCD-2C at the moment in the office, they actually pair well. I would say the difference between the two is reasonable, wider sound stage, more detail and better power delivery on the 2. But they are still both very good and not a million miles apart. I kept the 1, it's still good. I would say the biggest difference is with planars tho, the Valhalla 2 and some nice tubes would probably be a better change for the HD650. I'd probably spend the money on headphones, they will make more difference, but you won't regret getting the Jot 2.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #125,887 of 153,372
8-track cartridges could be used in broadcast radio stations. Stereo version o' the 4-tracks already in use.

Concerning 1950's-era automotive radio receivers, stereo FM was new to the consumer. There were miniature-tube shields which could hold the novals in place, as was demonstrated in Fender tube amplifiers; medium- and high-µ twin triodes such an the 12AU7A and 12AX7A could take their place alongside pentagrid demodulators with 12VDC heaters. Of course, octals had the advantage in power amplification; quad 12V6G beam power tubes could handle the load for two channels.

Yeah. When I was volunteering at the local college radio station, it made heavy use of 8-tracks for station IDs etc. I kept the one with my intro theme on it as a memento when that ended.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #125,888 of 153,372
KUSC via TuneIn:

IMG_8785.jpeg

KUSC app Airplay to WiiM:

IMG_8786.jpeg
In these screenshots, WiiM show the data rate (kbps) in addition to the resolution. However, for BBC Sounds it only showed the resolution. Do you know why that is?

BTW, it's playing at such a low rate on TuneIn because by default TuneIn chooses lower rate streams to avoid buffering issues. There is a setting in the app for preferred stream rate.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #125,889 of 153,372
In these screenshots, WiiM show the data rate (kbps) in addition to the resolution. However, for BBC Sounds it only showed the resolution. Do you know why that is?

No idea. I posted a question on their site.

BTW, it's playing at such a low rate on TuneIn because by default TuneIn chooses lower rate streams to avoid buffering issues. There is a setting in the app for preferred stream rate.

I do not see a TuneIn quality setting in the WiiM built-in TuneIn app.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #125,890 of 153,372
I have both the Jot 1 and 2. Actually listening to the Jot 1 with my Audeze LCD-2C at the moment in the office, they actually pair well. I would say the difference between the two is reasonable, wider sound stage, more detail and better power delivery on the 2. But they are still both very good and not a million miles apart. I kept the 1, it's still good. I would say the biggest difference is with planars tho, the Valhalla 2 and some nice tubes would probably be a better change for the HD650. I'd probably spend the money on headphones, they will make more difference, but you won't regret getting the Jot 2.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I just ordered the Focal Clear, waiting anxiously for them to arrive.
A while to break in, and then maybe considered a Jot 2.
so down the rabbit hole he goes…

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #125,894 of 153,372
I have decided that I hate Mjolnir 3...

...because after listening to it driving the HD820s (balanced), every deficiency in my loudspeaker positioning, EQ settings and room treatments become as obvious as schiit when I take off the headphones and switch back to the speakers. Is this what was supposed to happen? <g>

OTHO, I was just downstairs taking a break, and realized that the balanced outputs of the Loki Max, which feed my line preamp, are easily long enough to reach MJ3's balanced inputs, and there is more than enough slack for Tyr's balanced input cables to connect to MJ3's pre-outs... I gotta hear this, next.

But that's a project for this evening!

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #125,895 of 153,372
I have decided that I hate Mjolnir 3...

...because after listening to it driving the HD820s (balanced), every deficiency in my loudspeaker positioning, EQ settings and room treatments become as obvious as schiit when I take off the headphones and switch back to the speakers. Is this what was supposed to happen? <g>
Yes, as designed. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back