Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 5, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #125,866 of 150,789
I've been very fortunate in my working life to have had some really, really good bosses. There have been couple that were kinda 'meh,' but only one that was really, truly, horrifically bad. 20k pounds of nuclear waste would have been more appropriate for him, although I would hate to do that to nuclear waste. 🤣
+10
I've been lucky to work for some great bosses, and I'd like to think I'm one as well. When someone does something wrong, I point it out in private, when someone does something right, I point it out in public. A very early life lesson from one: "Don't complain, unless it's to someone that can actually do something about it"

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #125,867 of 150,789
Has anyone compared the Jot2 and Bifrost combo with the FiiO K9 PRO ESS?

I listen mostly on a Senn HD 800S.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #125,868 of 150,789
Chromecasting BBC Sounds to a WiiM Pro seems to be greater than that:

Try Chromecasting an MP3 or AAC source and see what WiiM reports as the resolution. I'm wondering if the Chromecast implementation in the WiiM might be upsampling. YouTube Music and TuneIn Radio apps support Chromecast. You could try KUSC on TuneIn, which streams AAC 96 kbps.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #125,869 of 150,789
8-track cartridges could be used in broadcast radio stations. Stereo version o' the 4-tracks already in use.

Concerning 1950's-era automotive radio receivers, stereo FM was new to the consumer. There were miniature-tube shields which could hold the novals in place, as was demonstrated in Fender tube amplifiers; medium- and high-µ twin triodes such an the 12AU7A and 12AX7A could take their place alongside pentagrid demodulators with 12VDC heaters. Of course, octals had the advantage in power amplification; quad 12V6G beam power tubes could handle the load for two channels.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #125,870 of 150,789
Try Chromecasting an MP3 or AAC source and see what WiiM reports as the resolution. I'm wondering if the Chromecast implementation in the WiiM might be upsampling. YouTube Music and TuneIn Radio apps support Chromecast. You could try KUSC on TuneIn, which streams AAC 96 kbps.
KUSC via TuneIn:

IMG_8785.jpeg

KUSC app Airplay to WiiM:

IMG_8786.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpeg
    IMG_8786.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #125,871 of 150,789
A long time ago I told my wife that I wanted a 240Z. She bought me a small model that I could keep on my dresser.
hahaha! I did that with a BMW Z3 for my wife. Parked it in the garage for when she came home even :smile:
We still have that model car too, 25 years later.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #125,874 of 150,789
Sep 6, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #125,878 of 150,789
Have you been watching Sarah-n-Tuned working on her 1974 V8 swap?
Funny to have her channel pop up in this thread. She's literally the only grease monkey I have in my YouTube subscriptions. I don't care the least bit about car modification or restoration content, but I watch all her videos more or less religiously because her energy is so damn entertaining and I really appreciate her attention to detail and approach to "clean" (i.e. era-appropriate and generally really tasteful and understated) modifications.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #125,879 of 150,789
320 is where Mp3 does top out and in blind testing, almost no one can tell the difference between that and .flac or .wav
Certainly, everyone's experience will vary, but when I started trialing Qobuz on a very basic setup about three years ago, I started running through the various quality outputs, from lossless CD all the way up to 192kHz. Back and forth, back into lossy Spotify, back to lossless, and so on. BY FAR, the most significant leap in sound quality was that between lossy compressed and lossless CD quality. Everything above that (ie. the HiRes tiers) are just subtle refinements of that sound. I pretty much cannot stream lossy audio on my HiFi or through headphones anymore, and thus, Spotify listening has been relegated to my workplace, Bluetooth'd into a large powered Ultimate Ears Hyperboom speaker.

Anyway (and this is all very much influenced by initial mastering quality of course), CD quality and up can be glorious while compressed lossless sucks the life and width and air out of the music, in my experience.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #125,880 of 150,789

I will have a sip of this with music later.🤪
Ahhh! 😍

It is so wonderful to see bottles of spirit that I had a hand in the creation of out in the wild for people to enjoy! Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back