Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #125,717 of 154,998
My first car was a Yellow 76 Chevette...

1693837988265.png

The aftermarket Car stereo (ADS/Alpine) I installed had more power than the engine! 🔊

My best friend had an orange Pinto (just like this one :scream:)

I had a Pinto Station wagon back in 1973 (I think it was). I bought it in response to the gasoline shortage, sky-rocketing prices, stations operating only a few hours a day, and long lines were the rule. Fortunately I had a customer who owned a station and would let me know when they were going to open so I could send a few of my employees each day in an effort to be able to keep the bank open (by law it had to be) so they could make their drives each day, and we implemented car pooling as best we could.

One of Ford's better ideas was to use rubber, instead of metal for the "U" brackets that held up the exhaust piping. I was coming down the northeast extension of the Pa Turnpike on a hot sunny day when the rubber failed at a key point by the gas tank and the tail pipe fell down. If it had fallen off completely that would have been fine, but noooo... I heard the sound of grinding metal and my first thought was, WTH, this car has less than 30,000 miles on it for the universal to fail. Then I saw a massive stream of sparks flying when I looked in my rear view window. I pulled over but was unable to break off the tail pipe which would have solved the issue. I had a the wagon full of people for that day trip so I had cleaned out all the stuff that could have been of help to me in this scenario, from the back. I ended up taking my pants off and tied the dragging tailpipe to the rear bumper.

I got the exhaust system repaired the next day, and traded the car in the day after that.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #125,718 of 154,998

The 1963 Corvair Monza Spyder, my first car. This is a photo I borrowed but mine was black as well.

Anyway 1967-1970 produced debut albums by such people as..

Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, The Grateful Dead, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Velvet Underground, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, James Taylor, Steppenwolf, Neil Young, Santana, Blind Faith, Fairport Convention, Warren Zevon, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, and Ry Cooder.
1967…. debut album by Jimi Hendrix “Are You Experienced?” … and …
2D3F9628-B0E7-4694-B878-BDBE851C335E.jpeg

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #125,719 of 154,998
1967…. debut album by Jimi Hendrix “Are You Experienced?” … and … 2D3F9628-B0E7-4694-B878-BDBE851C335E.jpeg
Janice Joplin and Grace Slick (who may have been related on my father's side of the family), two of my favorites. The first live pop concert I ever attended was to see the Beach Boys.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #125,720 of 154,998
Sweet Car!!!

Test #3 today:

I thought I got an Aegir, but a Vidar showed up! LOL..

Just inserted and listening...compared to the G-horns mono setup...I am very surprised.

1693840648846.png

1968 for me then off to college in the South. I changed schools and was nearly drafted and faced OCS before getting into another school. First time in history they were drafting for the Marines. Even today if you search for greatest rock albums of all times you will find many from that period toward the top. My first car was a turbocharged Corvair Spyder.😉
Ha...On my lifes journey, I got a letter from Uncle Sam giving me a winning lottery number of 103 and a nice "please report at your local selective service board? Viet Nam here we come....oh my. My Realistic Optimus 1 Speakers and Allied Radio turntable had to go into storage!!! But things turned out, I never got to go to Nam, but became an officer in the US Army ! And got to listen to my first hi-fi rig again.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #125,722 of 154,998
Sweet Car!!!

Test #3 today:

I thought I got an Aegir, but a Vidar showed up! LOL..

Just inserted and listening...compared to the G-horns mono setup...I am very surprised.

1693840648846.png

Ha...On my lifes journey, I got a letter from Uncle Sam giving me a winning lottery number of 103 and a nice "please report at your local selective service board? Viet Nam here we come....oh my. My Realistic Optimus 1 Speakers and Allied Radio turntable had to go into storage!!! But things turned out, I never got to go to Nam, but became an officer in the US Army ! And got to listen to my first hi-fi rig again.
I ended up being 366 in the draft, friends were like number 4 or 27 and new they best pick a service after school. As best I recall they took people down to about number 250 or so.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #125,723 of 154,998
I was already ETS'd well before the lottery was established.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #125,724 of 154,998
1968 for me then off to college in the South. I changed schools and was nearly drafted and faced OCS before getting into another school. First time in history they were drafting for the Marines. Even today if you search for greatest rock albums of all times you will find many from that period toward the top. My first car was a turbocharged Corvair Spyder.😉
My father had a Corvair when he met my mother. He told me it was the only car designed to resemble an electric razor.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #125,725 of 154,998
My father had a Corvair when he met my mother. He told me it was the only car designed to resemble an electric razor.

… except that the electric razor had greater power / acceleration / top speed 🤣

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #125,727 of 154,998
Today we celebrate the wonder of child birth.
Happy Labor Day, folks! ✌️😁
And thank FSM for child brith, otherwise we would not be enjoying these fine conversations and excellent music.

And kudos to Women, who truly do the hard work bringing us into the world. :smiley_cat:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #125,728 of 154,998
I still enjoy the HD-580 with Vali 2++, but don’t like them with Magni, or with iFi ZEN Can, unless I’m using balanced output on the latter. They seem quite amplifier dependent.
I’m running modded 58x phones with Vali 2++, with GE 5-star red 5670 . The combination is amazing.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #125,729 of 154,998
Ahhh, the memories. My Dad had two Corvairs, first a steel-blue hardtop, then a white convertible. Neither were turbos I don't think. I remember as a kid "helping" him install seat belts into the white one. Guess they were an option back in the day? :smile:
Very nice! Picked up a nearly rust free 1962 Covair Monza as a winter project, got it running yesterday.....
Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 9.09.16 AM.png

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #125,730 of 154,998
I ended up being 366 in the draft, friends were like number 4 or 27 and new they best pick a service after school. As best I recall they took people down to about number 250 or so.
My eyesight was too poor (approx. -14) and no branch of the service could take me and they did not allow correction to be taken into account as if I lost my glasses or contacts I was literally blind. I also could not be a fireman or policeman for much the same line of reasoning. I understood why but it was still frustrating. I would go to the physical tryouts just to make a point and show them what I was physically capable of doing. Standards are there for a reason and again, I came to understand that but the Marines really tried to get me in and the doctor knew me and said, "Nope!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back