Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #124,141 of 149,684
Any North Carolinians going to meet Jason, Grahm and others in Pittsboro for the meet in September the 9th?
Its just a few weeks away!!

I plan on being there!!

Alex
:>)
I can’t make it since I’m closing one house on the 8th, and the new house on the 11th. Saturday the 9th is truck loading day.

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #124,142 of 149,684
I owned a Freya S, listened trough it with some capable upstream and downstream gear (see my sig) and I could detect no hiss. Issues with cables? Defective unit?

I was using (& still use) the Pyst cables. Just for clarity my rig when I had the Freya S:

- PC/laptop/dap (source)
- Yggy LIM (dac)
- Freya S (preamp)
- Emotiva XPA Gen3 (power amp)
- Monitor Audio Gold 200 (gen5) (speakers)

I also used the SYS as a brief tester pre-amp and no hiss either, so definitely something to do with the Freya S. But glad that Kara doesn't have this issue.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #124,143 of 149,684
It's always good to scan such items and upload them to the internetarchive.org!
It’s 28 pages in total and covers how to read specs for all of the components available at that time, giving spec ranges for budget, mid-fi and high end.

Back then specs mattered more due to the broader range of stuff out there. You didn’t have to be Mr. Golden Ears to detect the noise floor on stuff back then.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #124,144 of 149,684
I know my dad pissed the neighbors off when we lived in Boston - even when it was snowing he had no issues being outside grilling.
We live on a few acres of property which back on to about 50 acres of undeveloped land. So we bbq year round, usually
several times a week. It's very convenient being able to bbq all year long.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #124,146 of 149,684
Nah, you are right: Black is where it's at. Silver is for remotes. (Apologies for craptacular photo work.)
Nice system! If I had that system I would get a text while at work saying “I want to listen to a CD, how do I play it?”
me: “First turn on the Urd, then the Yggdrasil, then the Loki, then the Freya, and then the Tyrs. Then insert the CD and press play.”
wife: *”Okay thank You”

*5 minutes later

wife: ”How do I turn them on?”
me: “The power switches are on the back.” 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #124,147 of 149,684
Nice system! If I had that system I would get a text while at work saying “I want to listen to a CD, how do I turn I play it?”
me: “First turn on the Urd, then the Yggdrasil, then the Loki, then the Freya, and then the Tyrs. Then insert the CD and press play.”

*5 minutes later

Thank you. Been waiting a while for the MJ3 and the Super Schiit Stack is complete (for now).

Fortunately, my wife just looks at the system and shakes her head. Just the occasional, "what does that one do differently?" She's more visual and I'm more audio, so we complement each other well.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #124,148 of 149,684

CanJam weekend this weekend.

Erm… I just bought an excuse to buy a Valhalla…

It was an absolute pleasure meeting Zach, Beviin and Team.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #124,149 of 149,684
Thanks for all the switch recs everyone, genuinely appreciated!

Would need to cascade them to go 1>2>4>... Not cheap. When I had 3 amps in one place, I asked Goldpoint whether they make custom switches with more outputs, they recommended cascading the 2-output ones.
No. See my direct reply to @rfernand above.
Interesting, but cascading is not ideal for practicality or cost. Need three switches for just four amps. And each of the 4 amps would have two switch positions associated.

Alternate version: use XLR splitter cables into two of these, reduces the need of 1 switch.

Kramer makes a 4x1 XLR switch.
I like this one a lot, including the non-rotary switching mechanism. Downside: would need a lot of new cables to reverse the in/out configuration. Also it's only 4/1. Bookmarked!

I have one of these I won't be using anymore. Can be used 1 in 4 out or vice-versa.
https://www.markertek.com/product/s...witch-stereo-in-4-stereo-out-monitor-switcher
I'd want to know how this one switches outputs off, but ostensibly as long as I don't act like an idiot with switching toggles, I would never get into a situation where it's acting like a splitter (which is what I'm avoiding).

While I primarily keep three amps in my system, I previously had eight and ran into the same problem. I had to learn a lot about professional components to find a solution. I currently use a Kramer VS-4X, and like the product listed by FLTWS, it's four in, one out, or vice versa, but instead of just using that, I run the VS-4X out to a product called the Patchbox II from Henry Engineering. The Patchbox gives me one input and twelve outputs, six balanced, and six unbalanced. It's intended for the output of an audio mixer, but it's probably the band aid you need, and I would recommend checking one out.

https://henryeng.com/patchbox-ii/
This looks like a splitter, no? PDF even calls out that 'it's fine' splitting into many high impedance inputs. Which is what I'm trying to avoid (both the Freya+ and the Formula S have 'just' 10k input impedance, on the low end of high impedance inputs and parallelizing them reduces it further and asks more of the Loki Max).

Also would need a handful of TRS to XLR cables, doable but an additional inconvenience.

I'm liking this one. I already have Snake Oil XLR Splitter cables for how I currently have things set up. I was hoping to get out of splitting, but 1>2 split is the least bad option.

I have another option by getting two Nobsounds, too: casading them in serial. Would mean just 5 outputs (fine for now) and potentially two switch positions to configure (and remember) for a switch, but no amps in parallel.

This also looks like the least expensive option, I think I'll start here...thanks!

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #124,151 of 149,684
Nice system! If I had that system I would get a text while at work saying “I want to listen to a CD, how do I turn I play it?”

*5 minutes later

So... Having the power switch on the back is a security system... Nice 👍!

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #124,152 of 149,684
Sitting in the car, having finally caught up. Go to one Guns n Roses concert and you are 100+ posts behind.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #124,153 of 149,684
So... Having the power switch on the back is a security system... Nice 👍!
The best security would be to have the switch inside the component.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #124,154 of 149,684
Mrs Vader?
Is there one? The one candidate ended up fleeing to some planet even invisible to the Force...

Now I realize it's all about having the ultimate bachelor pad....

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #124,155 of 149,684
Definitely agree. We probably just don't need two models. The real question is what the feature set of a replacement model would be like. Still thinking about that.
I think, maybe, have a page focusing on a half-rack centric system. Bifrost/Saga/Gjallarhorn or something. Lot of downsizing/apartment dwelling out there.

Could even be in one of those fancy European languages/fonts as their listening spaces are smaller than Texas size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back