Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #124,021 of 150,262
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #124,022 of 150,262
I have 6" cables between a BF2 and a Jot2 and have plenty of slack. 10"should be fine.
I figured BF2 to Jot wouldn't be a problem, they're right above each other. The other inputs and outputs are not. Sounds like 10" will be fine.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #124,024 of 150,262
Aug 18, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #124,025 of 150,262
Ah, very disappointing but thanks. That's quite silly that it doesn't if the amp can otherwise run with it removed from the circuit. Hopefully the next rev can cut power off to it, I'll be holding off on it for now then.
The prospect of switching to solid state mode to avoid needing to reach behind the unit to turn it off every day so I could prolong the tube life would have been a major selling point for me but having to remove the tube entirely is even less ideal than just switching it off.
Hopefully Jason can do a minor rev to slap another relay in there to cut the heaters off.
Lyr + has a solid state mode? :wink:

I started listening to mine using the tube, and saw no reason to change anything.

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #124,029 of 150,262
Saga S is still in the line, as is Saga+.

The Saga of Saga is an interesting one, to be honest, with not a lot of good answers and some (perhaps) very weird choices if we want to do an update on that one.

Here's the thing: Saga is expensive to make. And it doesn't sell that well. And it doesn't have any voltage gain, which some people like. All of those don't bode well for its future, either in S or + form. But if we try to address the lack of voltage gain, it gets more expensive, bringing it closer to Kara. Probably not a winning idea. If we want to cut cost, it's gonna end up in a Syn-like chassis with a wall-wart. Again maybe not the right idea. And then there's the whole question of I/O, as in there's super-limited space for balanced I/O if we want to think about adding that--and, if you increase chassis size, you end up at Kara again.

I'll keep playing with it, but we have both Saga+ and Saga S right now, and I'm pretty sure we have good stock of both. So there's that.
How about just a passive saga or more like a Super Sys with more inputs than Sys and a remote?

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #124,030 of 150,262
How about just a passive saga or more like a Super Sys with more inputs than Sys and a remote?
Saga S is passive and has a remote.

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #124,032 of 150,262
Kara is really tempting to me, but my Freya+ with LISST does exactly what I need it to do 95% of the time.

And for the other 5% I always have the option to roll in my very much adored Westinghouse (for the gain stage) and Raytheon (for the output stage) tubes — something for which I am still very much indebted to @Paladin79; not just for introducing me to their mere existence, but also for gifting me the very two pairs that I am still enjoying my music through the most. The day will come when I will finally know how to adequately repay that debt.
No need to repay me, I try to help others and in return I have received tubes, speakers, Schiit gear etc. as well as satsuma mandarin oranges, whiskeys, and cardboard advice. :ksc75smile:

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #124,034 of 150,262
Saga S is still in the line, as is Saga+.

The Saga of Saga is an interesting one, to be honest, with not a lot of good answers and some (perhaps) very weird choices if we want to do an update on that one.

Here's the thing: Saga is expensive to make. And it doesn't sell that well. And it doesn't have any voltage gain, which some people like. All of those don't bode well for its future, either in S or + form. But if we try to address the lack of voltage gain, it gets more expensive, bringing it closer to Kara. Probably not a winning idea. If we want to cut cost, it's gonna end up in a Syn-like chassis with a wall-wart. Again maybe not the right idea. And then there's the whole question of I/O, as in there's super-limited space for balanced I/O if we want to think about adding that--and, if you increase chassis size, you end up at Kara again.

I'll keep playing with it, but we have both Saga+ and Saga S right now, and I'm pretty sure we have good stock of both. So there's that.

It's hard for me to think of a solid use case for the Sagas, and I bought one back in February, and really like it (though it's on sabbatical at the moment). Here is how my thinking evolved on this.
  • You need a preamp for a full two channel rig. The other items are mostly rack width or similar, so Saga doesn't quite 'fit'. Plus, more outputs are better than fewer, so Freya gets the call (or Kara now).
  • You are building a desktop 2 channel rig, so you need the smaller size, but it's also nice to have a HP output. Here the choices are endless - Lyr, Jot 2, Asgard, Magnius, Valhalla, etc.
  • You are building a 2 channel TV rig, and may want to go 2.1 later, or even full HT at some point. Syn for the win here.
  • So what's left? Compact 2 Channel rig that's not going on a desk, with more than two sources and no headphones? OK, but how big is that market?
Saga is a great product, but there are so many other great Schiit products on offer that just seem to fit the need a little better, at least to me, at least if you have more than $299 to spend.

What would make Saga more attractive would be to add a slot for a phono stage or Multi Bit or D/S DAC , where fewer boxes are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back