Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #123,601 of 150,898
8897607A-DFCD-465D-BA60-03D033B96390.jpegF018C9BA-BD92-4AD5-B26A-FA0F9EA56203.jpeg

Lots of final shaping and sanding but I held the boards with hot glue as I check out all the angles, tapers, and bevels. The height and stability is quite good. Hopefully
once completed it will attract a few people to the Schiit meet in NC. I will indent and round the top a bit, I will also figure out a matching peg on the back for a headphone cable. Looks simple right? That top piece has eight cuts so far not counting what I will be doing to finish it. :beerchug:

4DC88211-62CC-4993-B9CB-6D85050FFFE4.jpeg
You obviously excelled at solid geometry in school. That was a long time ago!

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #123,603 of 150,898
You obviously excelled at solid geometry in school. That was a long time ago!
I had to stop and think much more than I should have.😁 Many of my courses in high school came out of the University of Illinois so I hope some of it sunk in.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #123,604 of 150,898
For anyone who is following my little saga of Pi2AES- Lite in a modi width case, here is the latest update.

The case is tall enough to have the entire unit inside. Its basically a Magni/Modi stack high. I am going to leave it mostly open on the back so you can get your fingers in to seat the Optical or optional power supply. The BNC and Coax seat easily.

I'm trying to make it easy to install. Today's modifications which I'll print tomorrow was adding countersunk holes in the bottom. I grabbed (4) M2.5-12 machine screws and thread them up through the bottom.

Basically the plan is to take the case you get with the Pi2AES- Lite and reuse most of it. The small spacers which are underneath the Pi board when installed in the acrylic case need to be moved to add space on the top (so you end up with two spacers on top of the Pi2 board. The medium and small ones.

If this is ok tomorrow, I'll move to working on the top piece although that may take until the weekend. I need to do something about mounting the top to the 4 spacers on top of the Pi2-Aes board. I already lengthened it. It may be tolerance related, but my height is 0.08 mm off from the spacers to the flush top of the case. I may just drop some material down from the top with countersunk holes again. We'll see a problem for later this week.

Lastly I've been using Fusion 360. Fun little program. Doesn't feel like I haven't used CAD in 32 years.

Attachments

• 20230814_183954.jpg
    20230814_183954.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #123,609 of 150,898
Some do sink in, but I think that I have forgotten more than I remember!
… better than not remembering what you forgot … 😳

Aug 15, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #123,610 of 150,898
What grits and/or method did you use?
Oh boy...it was a while ago. I want to say I started with 400, then 2,000, then polished with Cape Cod. I think it brings some uniformity to the MJ2 as the switches, screw heads, and even the tubes are shiny and reflective.

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #123,611 of 150,898
PSA - Multiple Coaxial inputs into BiFrost 2/64 and Modi Multibit 2

I have multiple devices (DAPs and phones) that output via USB-C, some require a OTG dongle such as DD ddHiFi TC28CPro USB-C to USB-C OTG and Charging Adapter others do not

I had previously used a 4x1 SPDIF Digital Audio Switcher.

In an attempt to downsize my desktop footprint (too many cables with this device) I found this DSD TECH SH-AU01A USB to TOSLINK Coaxial Optical Audio Adapter (I have 2)
and these Mini Toslink Optical 3.5 mm Female Jack to Toslink, Optical Audio Adapters (these take 10 to 14 days as they have to clear customs)

Much smaller footprint, simple to switch out devices

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #123,612 of 150,898
For anyone who is following my little saga of Pi2AES- Lite in a modi width case, here is the latest update.

The case is tall enough to have the entire unit inside. Its basically a Magni/Modi stack high. I am going to leave it mostly open on the back so you can get your fingers in to seat the Optical or optional power supply. The BNC and Coax seat easily.

I'm trying to make it easy to install. Today's modifications which I'll print tomorrow was adding countersunk holes in the bottom. I grabbed (4) M2.5-12 machine screws and thread them up through the bottom.

Basically the plan is to take the case you get with the Pi2AES- Lite and reuse most of it. The small spacers which are underneath the Pi board when installed in the acrylic case need to be moved to add space on the top (so you end up with two spacers on top of the Pi2 board. The medium and small ones.

If this is ok tomorrow, I'll move to working on the top piece although that may take until the weekend. I need to do something about mounting the top to the 4 spacers on top of the Pi2-Aes board. I already lengthened it. It may be tolerance related, but my height is 0.08 mm off from the spacers to the flush top of the case. I may just drop some material down from the top with countersunk holes again. We'll see a problem for later this week.

Lastly I've been using Fusion 360. Fun little program. Doesn't feel like I haven't used CAD in 32 years.
My look at it was that the DAC doesn't fit. The unit with the GPIO connector and cable is too high. It has to be changed.
The micro SD card on the Pi can't be accessed anymore and needs a cable and is also very tight. It can only be done with a special type of cable.
I want to keep all external sizes of the Modi.

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #123,613 of 150,898
Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 at the Proms. High quality stream on BBC Sounds app:

IMG_8726.jpeg
High quality stream? It is like Spotify max 320 kbps AAC. Maybe my expectations of High quality are too high.

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #123,614 of 150,898
Tempting, but my music listening space is currently under deconstruction.
IMG_3663.jpeg
One of the easiest sonic tweaks is to build non-parallel walls.

Of course you realize that we'll want detailed reportage of your project. Good Luck! :smiley_cat:

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #123,615 of 150,898
High quality stream? It is like Spotify max 320 kbps AAC. Maybe my expectations of High quality are too high.

Well... this is a free service. Have you listened to it? Listened to the performance, not the audio under a microscope. A large orchestra at RAH sounds quite good. Pianos sound full and resonant. Is it the best there is? No, but I do not seek best all the time; I seek memorable performances (live if possible).

Edit - typo - RAH Royal Albert Hall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back