Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #123,616 of 151,307
Well... this is a free service. Have you listened to it? Listened to the performance, not the audio under a microscope. A large orchestra at TAH sounds quite good. Pianos sound full and resonant. Is it the best there is? No, but I do not seek best all the time; I seek memorable performances (live if possible).
The quality of a mix is more important than the bit rates in terms of sound quality. At least in my experience.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #123,617 of 151,307
Oh boy...it was a while ago. I want to say I started with 400, then 2,000, then polished with Cape Cod. I think it brings some uniformity to the MJ2 as the switches, screw heads, and even the tubes are shiny and reflective.
For Army brass we used to find a drill bit that fit and used Brasso and a piece of cloth and give it a good spin, excellent results.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #123,618 of 151,307
Well... this is a free service. Have you listened to it? Listened to the performance, not the audio under a microscope. A large orchestra at TAH sounds quite good. Pianos sound full and resonant. Is it the best there is? No, but I do not seek best all the time; I seek memorable performances (live if possible).
Very good answer, thanks.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #123,619 of 151,307
Here is a ‘memorable’ development !! …
4B98965D-FF25-4F52-84BD-67BE5C25B666.jpeg

Aug 15, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #123,620 of 151,307
Following some thoughts from @FLTWS, a respected friend, I added a curved shape so as not to crease headphone bands as well as a matching peg for headphone cables. I like for the glue to set for 24 hours then I will do final touch up and finish tomorrow. After that it will go to @golfbravobravo.

D7007E06-6757-4C81-9EE8-916539D09732.jpeg9EF702D4-A197-44E4-A87E-4285B69AEA15.jpeg

Aug 15, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #123,621 of 151,307
Looking good, and the cable hang is a seriously good add-on. I've owned many different HP stands at various price points and none of them, even ones I have not owned that I've seen, don't give that any thought. Makes for a much neater appearance. And, it's a practical idea for those with multiple phones as I suspect many Head-fiers do (Headphone"s" -r-us, right?). I had 6 different phones at one point and was in the habit of rotating them especially when I added new hardware additions to the chain, and sometimes just for a different listening experience. Constantly plugging and unplugging the typical fragile HP connectors is probably not the best way so allowing to keep the cable attached and coiled seems like a better proposition to me.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #123,622 of 151,307
Looking good, and the cable hang is a seriously good add-on. I've owned many different HP stands at various price points and none of them, even ones I have not owned that I've seen, don't give that any thought. Makes for a much neater appearance. And, it's a practical idea for those with multiple phones as I suspect many Head-fiers do (Headphone"s" -r-us, right?). I had 6 different phones at one point and was in the habit of rotating them especially when I added new hardware additions to the chain, and sometimes just for a different listening experience. Constantly plugging and unplugging the typical fragile HP connectors is probably not the best way so allowing to keep the cable attached and coiled seems like a better proposition to me.
Naturally I tried to get the cable holder to conform to all angles and shapes. A round dowel would not have sufficed.🤪 A closer look at the angles. I will not make another in this style so someone will win a one of a kind piece. I have a photographer coming in this Saturday for a scotch tasting, I will talk him into doing the final photos. He is also anxious to hear the eight Ei KT-90's I am now running in an amp. :beerchug:

Attachments

• 71887AEA-703B-485F-91D3-EAB7129CC321.jpeg
    71887AEA-703B-485F-91D3-EAB7129CC321.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #123,623 of 151,307
One of the easiest sonic tweaks is to build non-parallel walls.

Of course you realize that we'll want detailed reportage of your project. Good Luck! :smiley_cat:
It’s funny that you mention that. I just saw Paul McGowan’s recent video saying the same thing. My space is a little tight but I can make at least one wall non parallel. I have to tear out all of those studs and start over.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #123,624 of 151,307
It’s funny that you mention that. I just saw Paul McGowan’s recent video saying the same thing. My space is a little tight but I can make at least one wall non parallel. I have to tear out all of those studs and start over.

That's the spirit! :beerchug:

JC

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #123,625 of 151,307
Happy 4th of July / Independance Day to my US brethren!!! (Sorry UK folks.)

So, I hope everyone is sitting down, as I actually have audio questions. :astonished:

Most of my 2-channel listening is streaming Roon via a Pi4 running Ropieee XL feeding my BF2 with 2/64 upgrade via USB. I also have a Pi3B+ with an Allo DigiOne HAT that I drop in on occasion and run to BF2 via S/PDIF coax. I like both but tend to stick with the Pi4/USB, not because it sounds better (I don't really know), but because my OCD dictates that I use the cleaner USB the Pi4 offers (and the Argon case just looks cool). Latey I've had an itch to buy the new Pi2AES 2.0 Pro HAT and use that in conjunction with my Pi3B+ and replacing the Allo board. So I have a few questions...

1. Is the Pi2AES 2.0 a discernable upgrade to Allo DigiOne using S/PDIF coax?
I had an Allo DigiOne a number of years ago. I think I still have it but I bought a DigiOne Signature a few years ago and have been listening to it. The Signature sounded a little less fuzzy compared to the DigiOne. I had always used the BNC output of the Signature, or just used USB from the Pi. Recently I purchased a Pi2AES 2.0 mainly because I wanted to experiment with I2S without spending too much money. However, I think the BNC output of the Pi2AES sounds really good. I like it better than the DigiOne Signature. It sounds less edgy but still sounds crisp.
Pi2AES an
2. Is Pi2AES 2.0 a discernable upgrade to Pi4 via USB?
At least feeding my DAC, they sound different. USB always sounded very smooth and a little darker than the BNC coming from both the DigiOne Signature and the Pi2AES. Sometimes the USB sounded overly smooth, or comparatively lacking a little dynamics. They sound different, but who knows who might like one better than another.
3. Does BF2's Unison USB negate any real advantage in using Pi2AES via S/PDIF coax?
Not sure. One of my DACs is an Yggy with the LIM boards, but I never installed the latest USB board, and I never liked the the first USB version of the Yggy so I didn't feed it that way. I have another DAC with a very good USB implementation, but USB vs BNC still sound a bit different.
4. If there is a sonic difference between Pi2AES and Pi4 USB or Allo DigiOne, how would you describe it?
I think the DigiOne Signature sounds detailed but a bit edgy. The Pi2AES 2.0 sounds less annoying in the upper midrange, and quite beautiful through out the frequency range. Bass sounds really good - depth and heft but still very tuneful. I've always liked the USB from the Pi4, but it does sound a little overly smoothed and a bit dark on the three DACs I've tried it on. The bass sounds a little bloated compared to the two SPDIF units. Note though, I used to own a Soekris DAC 2541, and I preferred USB best on it because the bass weight increased a little.
5. Is the Pi2AES plexiglass case as ugly as it looks on the website? (I hope there are 3rd party options for black)
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Just hide it behind another piece of equipment, or stick it into a nice chassis.
6. Or is it -- What, dude!!?? Save the $299 and quit chasing after the next upgrade.

Thanks!!!

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #123,626 of 151,307
Another day another 5 hours on the printer. I think the bottom is done for the MoPi2-AES-lite case. Its functional. Will take a stab at printing the first version of the top. Here are a couple pics. I's say the countersunk holes in the bottom aren't perfect, but with a little clean out they are functional. Maybe a better printer or better setup printer could do a better job.

Attachments

• 20230815_174210.jpg
    20230815_174210.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230815_174148.jpg
    20230815_174148.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #123,627 of 151,307
When I owned my last home from 1988 to 2004 I had my listening room built over the 2 car garage it was pretty good but I always day-dreamed about a listening room with a slightly vaulted ceiling and a the wall behind my seating area that was curved with side walls that narrowed down slightly to a stage-like area for the the speakers.
1692135925668.png

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #123,629 of 151,307
Having non-parallel walls is excellent advice. That was recommended to me by ASC (the tube trap people) with a problem room I had in the past as I was in the middle of redoing it. Another big no-no: having room dimensions that are very close multiples of each other. That same room: 25' x 17' with an 8' ceiling. 17+8 equals....well even *I* figured that out and I suck at math. :laughing: Same reason a totally square room is terrible sonically.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #123,630 of 151,307
Brasso, haven't even seen it in 25 years but I could still smell it the moment I read your post.
I remember that smell, I may still have a can somewhere, LOL!. 55 years ago and after boot camp I never had to use it again. 5 months in Disneyland East, 6 months in hospital and rehab, finished out at Valley Forge Army Medical (a half hour from home) on night shift in the morgue and ambulance service so I never had to stand inspections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back