Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #122,851 of 155,074
I did hear Jason mention a potential upgrade to Freya S coming. I am interested. A very good preamp for the price but room for improvement. I do not mind a power switch on the back so much but the Freya S is deep in the back and very difficult to reach when in a rack. Just do what is done with the Tyr amps with standby and button on front. I also believe sonics could be better with the Freya S. Willing to pay considerably more for it for better sonics. I am confident the value will be there.
Me too. I tried the Freya + but in my system tubes just don't work. I get all kinds of noises which makes the preamp unusable. I feel the sound of the Freya S is a little thin, and feel it could be improved. I too would pay considerably more for an upgraded Freya S. Do you recall what Jason said about the potential upgrade to the Freya S?

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #122,852 of 155,074
For those who have had issues, does the issue occur only via usb or it repeatable using S/Pdif?
Only USB for me, and it seemed to be random. Swapped the USB cable between Urd and OG Yggy (A2, w/Unison) and the problem has disappeared. I have played 30+ different CDs since the cable swap, and (knocks wood) alles ist gut.

URD sounds spectacular with Yggy, IMHO.

/d

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #122,853 of 155,074
Are the CD's in question, an Enhanced CD? Do they contain any Rom data?

Old vintage CD players, would try and paly any track on a disc, even if it wasn't CD-Audio. They could play Rom data, which would definitely cause a loud "metallic screeching sound. Once heard, never forgotten. So, I wonder if the URD is randomly misinterpreting audio content as Rom?
Misinterpreting? Or getting a leg tongue up on the screeching metal talking book craze? 🤣

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #122,854 of 155,074
Are the CD's in question, an Enhanced CD? Do they contain any Rom data?

Old vintage CD players, would try and paly any track on a disc, even if it wasn't CD-Audio. They could play Rom data, which would definitely cause a loud "metallic screeching sound. Once heard, never forgotten. So, I wonder if the URD is randomly misinterpreting audio content as Rom?
No ROM data on any of the discs I played. For me, the "strange metallic screeching" happened within the playback of a Redbook-encoded song, not on a data track...

And it didn't sound like the "brown noise type" static that occurs when attempting to play a data track as audio... it sounds more like the phase-shift / heterodyning that happens when a shortwave radio is slightly mistuned... bass drops away, the sound becomes shrill and scratchy.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #122,855 of 155,074
Me too. I tried the Freya + but in my system tubes just don't work. I get all kinds of noises which makes the preamp unusable. I feel the sound of the Freya S is a little thin, and feel it could be improved. I too would pay considerably more for an upgraded Freya S. Do you recall what Jason said about the potential upgrade to the Freya S?
Do not remember anything else other than he specifically mentioned Freya S and not the +. I am looking forward to hearing more from Jason when the time is right.

For me the location of the power switch is such an issue that I either need to start leaving on the preamp 24/7 or get another preamp. I have considered the Benchmark LA4 or a Rogue RP5. Both of these are also US made. They are pricey though. I would probably pick a $2k or more Schiit preamp over these. Would be neat if the new Freya S had a first rate phono stage that is a few steps up over the Mani. That would be bad ass. I would be good with Yggy size even.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #122,856 of 155,074
For me the location of the power switch is such an issue that I either need to start leaving on the preamp 24/7 or get another preamp. I
Or get a smart plug or plugs. I have my main headphone stack components all plugged into smart switches. I love saying "Alexa! Turn on my Schiit!" when I walk into my library. Alternatively, I can turn them on and off with a phone app.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #122,857 of 155,074
Do not remember anything else other than he specifically mentioned Freya S and not the +. I am looking forward to hearing more from Jason when the time is right.

For me the location of the power switch is such an issue that I either need to start leaving on the preamp 24/7 or get another preamp. I have considered the Benchmark LA4 or a Rogue RP5. Both of these are also US made. They are pricey though. I would probably pick a $2k or more Schiit preamp over these. Would be neat if the new Freya S had a first rate phono stage that is a few steps up over the Mani. That would be bad ass. I would be good with Yggy size even.
I would just leave the thing on 24/7. That's what I do with all my tube-less Schiit, and my Freya+ gets put in bypass or buffer mode when idling or while no "critical" listening is done.

Much more convenient, leaves no appreciable dent in my power bill (…maybe a buck a month, tops…), and caps don't like to be power-cycled too often anyway, so I'm actually doing the longevity of my Schiit a favor by not switching it on and off all the time.

Plus, I don't have to wait for half an hour to an hour for the caps to fully charge whenever I do want to listen critically. That's nice, too.

Bonus: Schiit that's being left on 24/7 also doubles as a handy-dandy night light.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #122,858 of 155,074
Or get a smart plug or plugs. I have my main headphone stack components all plugged into smart switches. I love saying "Alexa! Turn on my Schiit!" when I walk into my library. Alternatively, I can turn them on and off with a phone app.

I'm currently using a smart power strip made by Kasa. Just don't name any of the outlets with Schiit product names. Alexa's translation of Nordic is pretty weak. Well, it might be my pronunciation. :laughing:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #122,859 of 155,074
When I had my equipment on shelf stands reaching around was no biggie. But with my current install its beyond difficult so I bought one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H274S3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so I can start my Loki Maxi and Rag 2 in sequence.

The cost to keep it on all the time wouldn't be much a month and I think that's a plus with solid state gear. But I still don't like leaving gear like this on unattended. Even with good spike and surge protection. Several times a year the electrical service provider in my area power cycles on/off rapidly, for reasons I can't fathom and without announcement. That makes me not want to have to remove, pack, and lug a component to Fed X and pay them dearly for shipping if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #122,860 of 155,074
Aug 1, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #122,861 of 155,074
Given how Schiit makes their products in the US, especially the chassis, I thought that this video was very interesting:

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #122,862 of 155,074
No ROM data on any of the discs I played. For me, the "strange metallic screeching" happened within the playback of a Redbook-encoded song, not on a data track...

And it didn't sound like the "brown noise type" static that occurs when attempting to play a data track as audio... it sounds more like the phase-shift / heterodyning that happens when a shortwave radio is slightly mistuned... bass drops away, the sound becomes shrill and scratchy.

OK. Rom data, sounds like an electric razor turned up to full blast, and played through your speakers...! Nothing musical about it at all...! Not fun. 😵‍💫

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #122,863 of 155,074
The other day I Googled Schiit Mjolnir 3 and found a link to what appeared to be the Schiit Website for a Mjolnir 3
owner's manual. Strange that I could not actually find it on the main Schitt Website. However, this manual
shows illustrations of the Mjolnir 3 and describes its class A architecture and how hot the unit runs. It actually looks a lot
like the Mjolnir 1.

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/mjolnir 3 manual(1).pdf
Thanks

1690928769241.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back