Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #122,356 of 149,681
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #122,357 of 149,681
You may need some more ventilation--I'm currently redoing the manual to include provisos like "if you think 85 degrees F/30 degrees C is comfortable, you may need to put a fan on Mjolnir 3." Truly not for everyone.

Aaaand, you're gonna kill me: no silver on Mjolnir 3. We need the black for heat dissipation. Seriously.

Remind me again why we're introducing this in the summer? Ah well, timing...
Does the Mjolnir 3 run hotter than Folkvangr? Apologies if I missed an earlier comparison.

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #122,358 of 149,681
Aaaand, you're gonna kill me: no silver on Mjolnir 3. We need the black for heat dissipation. Seriously.
Bummer about not having a silver option, but I'm not quite understanding how black helps with heat dissipation?
Does the clear-coat of the silver case somehow insulate more than the powder-coat of the black case?

[edit] - Thanks @Jason Stoddard for the clarification - increased surface area of the black powder-coat finish to help dissipate heat makes some sense (though still a bit sad that silver won't be an option even though other units run with a higher case temp and still have silver as an option).
Back in black for the MJ3 it is then :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #122,359 of 149,681
I have a similar problem with a totally different piece of audio equipment. I'm listening to one of my solid-state headphone amps, and suddenly the sound on one channel gets messed up. When it happens, the only solution is to power cycle the amp. After a few times of this happening, I figure it out. I was listening on the sofa next to the audio rack, and I stood up to get something from my desk. If I stay put, or listen from a different seat, or move very carefully off the sofa, no issue. This is super-dry summer California. Yes, static somehow energizing the headphone cable and zapping temporarily the app's innards. Once I concluded this, I'be been a bit careful and it never happened again.

So, I wonder if you are statically discharging onto the Urd somehow, those CDs and jewel cases do get charged.
Wow, never thought of that! The indoor humidity has been high for summer, I'm seeing 58-61% RH at various points in the house at this moment on my Ambient Weather temp/humidity display. Have only been static shocked here in the winter... but worth checking out.

I am going to swap the cable tonight and see how it goes. If the problem goes away, the AudioQuest cable will be returned.

Thanks for the thought... sometimes, it's the strangest things, right? :)

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #122,360 of 149,681
Bummer about not having a silver option, but I'm not quite understanding how black helps with heat dissipation?
Does the clear-coat of the silver case somehow insulate more than the powder-coat of the black case?
2 second Goggle search as an anodized aluminum at 0.85 emissivity, powder coat at 0.9-0.95 so assuming the Gargler isn't off like normal nowadays, that is a decent bump is radiant heat transfer. I am surprised it beats the added insulation, unless the anodized has a lower conductivity than the powder coat as well - something I am sure Jason has investigated. Can this be the first Dave product for thermal reasons instead of sonic - no top?

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #122,361 of 149,681
When you're designing a convective heatsink, dark colors are preferred because black surfaces will radiate heat better than silver surfaces. YMMV, but the Google tells me that black surfaces are ~3% to 8% more effective in dumping heat than silver surfaces (e.g., bare or clear-anodized aluminum). That little pup must be runnin' hot. <g>

Take a look at Vidar or Aegir or Tyr's heat-sinks; regardless of case color, they are black anodized.

This being stated, the heat sinks on the backs of my REL T/9 subs are silver and they never get any more than slightly warm. I think I need to turn it up a bit...

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #122,362 of 149,681
Has SCHIIT® any experience with 6N copper heatsinks? Seems to me an ideal solution for heat.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #122,365 of 149,681
2 second Goggle search as an anodized aluminum at 0.85 emissivity, powder coat at 0.9-0.95 so assuming the Gargler isn't off like normal nowadays, that is a decent bump is radiant heat transfer. I am surprised it beats the added insulation, unless the anodized has a lower conductivity than the powder coat as well - something I am sure Jason has investigated. Can this be the first Dave product for thermal reasons instead of sonic - no top?
In this case, better safe than sorry. The black powder has a texture that also increases effective surface area. The main thing is that it helps dissipate heat from the chokes, which are working far harder than the Tyr chokes (the whole amp has a low vibration due to the chokes).

With respect to hotter than Folkvangr, over most of the chassis, no not as hot. The heatsinks run very hot, like almost 60 degrees C in a 20 degree C room.

Oh and copper heatsinks? LOL no we don't think you're made of money. Plus that only helps conductivity. It doesn't add a bunch of surface area, or a fan. Mjolnir 3 almost got a fan. Almost.

For fun, here's a heatsink calculator (note that spacing is important, not just surface area): https://www.heatsinkcalculator.com/heat-sink-size-calculator.html

For even more fun, here's the manual. No not proofed. That's tomorrow.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #122,366 of 149,681
Nah, just very different creatures with shared genetics.

I honestly wanted to enjoy Snarky Puppy because of the name alone. Nothing I heard from them ever clicked with me, although the talent was obvious. I have enjoyed music by Charlie Hunter featuring SP members, however.

Charlie Hunter and his 7 and 8 string guitars where he plays bass and cords makes my head hurt thinking how does he do that!

Lucy Woodward is also worth a listen. She has been featured with Snarky Puppy also.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #122,367 of 149,681
My experience with the Aeon 2C and Aeon 2 Noires is that they need decent power and if you don't power them right, they will come off dead. I'd never heard them with a Jot2 but if I was a betting man, I'd bet they sound great with it.
I have an Aeon 2C with Jotunheim 2 (even with multibit card) for some years now, and it is a great combination indeed.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #122,368 of 149,681
The main thing is that it helps dissipate heat from the chokes, which are working far harder than the Tyr chokes (the whole amp has a low vibration due to the chokes).
I've been telling my non-audio friends that MJ3 is like the Dodge Demon of amplifiers. So now that I know the chokes vibrate I feel like I'd be missing out if they didn't. 😂

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #122,369 of 149,681
In this case, better safe than sorry. The black powder has a texture that also increases effective surface area. The main thing is that it helps dissipate heat from the chokes, which are working far harder than the Tyr chokes (the whole amp has a low vibration due to the chokes).

With respect to hotter than Folkvangr, over most of the chassis, no not as hot. The heatsinks run very hot, like almost 60 degrees C in a 20 degree C room.

Oh and copper heatsinks? LOL no we don't think you're made of money. Plus that only helps conductivity. It doesn't add a bunch of surface area, or a fan. Mjolnir 3 almost got a fan. Almost.

For fun, here's a heatsink calculator (note that spacing is important, not just surface area): https://www.heatsinkcalculator.com/heat-sink-size-calculator.html

For even more fun, here's the manual. No not proofed. That's tomorrow.

Would you (or someone else) be able to add some context to 60 degrees Celsius?

I see water that is 140 Fahrenheit causes burns in 6 seconds, but I'm not sure thats apples to apples

How does that temp compare to asgard 2, OG Vidar, Ragnarok, Yggy OG in terms of heat?

How hot is 60 deg C compared to the glass bulb of a vacuum tube?

I ask, because I had fully intended on buying an MJ3, but I've got small kids, one is in the terrible 2s, and I'm a bit concerned about my use case for MJ3 if its a burn hazard.

I want to go in with eyes fully open, thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #122,370 of 149,681

Users who are viewing this thread

Back