Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #122,371 of 151,795
Aaaand, you're gonna kill me: no silver on Mjolnir 3. We need the black for heat dissipation. Seriously.
:triportsad:
What is the size of the MJ3 going to be? Same as MJ2?

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #122,372 of 151,795
...Yes, static somehow energizing the headphone cable and zapping temporarily the app's innards....
Old Sun Microsystems keyboards (and a few others) had processors in them that were very (!) susceptible to static electricity. I never could get over having to reboot my freakin keyboard, of all things. Took us a while to stop rebooting the whole workstation.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #122,373 of 151,795
Has SCHIIT® any experience with 6N copper heatsinks? Seems to me an ideal solution for heat.
I recently got a Lab Gruppen amp and they make a big deal of their copper heat pipe technology with some fancy stupid name.

Tech-sharing possibility so Schiit can branch out to copper cases, like D'Agostino? I'd rebuy all my Schiit in copper....

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #122,374 of 151,795
Aaaand, you're gonna kill me: no silver on Mjolnir 3. We need the black for heat dissipation. Seriously.

Where the hell did I leave my pitchfork?

:sob::sob::sob::sob:

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #122,375 of 151,795
Would you (or someone else) be able to add some context to 60 degrees Celsius?

I see water that is 140 Fahrenheit causes burns in 6 seconds, but I'm not sure thats apples to apples

How does that temp compare to asgard 2, OG Vidar, Ragnarok, Yggy OG in terms of heat?

How hot is 60 deg C compared to the glass bulb of a vacuum tube?

I ask, because I had fully intended on buying an MJ3, but I've got small kids, one is in the terrible 2s, and I'm a bit concerned about my use case for MJ3 if its a burn hazard.

I want to go in with eyes fully open, thanks.

60 degrees c on the heatsink is cooler than the max temp of the Folkvangr chassis, and far lower than an incandescent bulb or typical tube. The Valhalla 2/Folkvangr output tubes run as high as 180 degrees C.

Vidar goes into protection when heatsinks reach 85 degrees C. Asgard 2 ran 45 or so, Asgard 1 a bit more.

Still, I'd follow the same instructions as Folkvangr: keep away from kids or pets.

:triportsad:
What is the size of the MJ3 going to be? Same as MJ2?
Same as Freya, Urd, and Loki Max.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 27, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #122,377 of 151,795
Bummer about not having a silver option, but I'm not quite understanding how black helps with heat dissipation?
Does the clear-coat of the silver case somehow insulate more than the powder-coat of the black case?
Isn’t the powder-coat over steel? And isn’t steel better at conducting thermal energy than AL? Trying vainly to remember the Thermodynamics that I never took…

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #122,378 of 151,795

How does that temp compare to asgard 2, OG Vidar, Ragnarok, Yggy OG in terms of heat?
Room temp 71F, no forced air cooling running..

OG Yggy is showing 94F, measured with a quality optical infrared, its hottest point, but it’s a silver case so YMMV.

Tyr’s heat sinks are ~84F. Loki Max’ (black case) hottest corner is 95F. Urd (silver) showing 81F on top.

OG Jot routinely hits 120F a.k.a. ~49C, and he is very warm to the touch.

Tubes… one hundred and 40C.

So 60C doesn’t seem too bad. Can you put it somewhere the kids can’t reach?

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #122,379 of 151,795
The Urd “Track ‘O The Day”

“Yawning or Snarling” - The Tragically Hip, Day for Night

This CD, spun on Urd, converted by Yggy, actually sounds more analog than the LP.
Yes I’ve been drinking but not much.

p.s. - swapped $$$ USB cable for low $$ USB cable and Urd+Yggy == MAGIC. Seven discs played, no weird metallic heterodyning noises, just the most analog digital sound I’ve ever heard.

This is nuts, I tell ya… nuts!

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #122,380 of 151,795
Room temp 71F, no forced air cooling running..

OG Yggy is showing 94F, measured with a quality optical infrared, its hottest point, but it’s a silver case so YMMV.

Tyr’s heat sinks are ~84F. Loki Max’ (black case) hottest corner is 95F. Urd (silver) showing 81F on top.

OG Jot routinely hits 120F a.k.a. ~49C, and he is very warm to the touch.

Tubes… one hundred and 40C.

So 60C doesn’t seem too bad. Can you put it somewhere the kids can’t reach?

Yeah, I can manage now that I understand what 60 deg C is a bit better. I have a couple space heaters that are hotter then MJ3 will be, plus I've got tube gear, regular lightbulbs, my Vidar has been plenty hot a time or two, my Asgard 2 is warm to the touch, not to mention stoves/ovens/sinks etc.

Just have to come to emotional terms with the news about black only. Painful.

Vibrating MJ3? Because of the chokes? Interesting and weird....

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #122,381 of 151,795
Yeah, I can manage now that I understand what 60 deg C is a bit better.
It’s hot. But my kids were really good about not touching the audio gear. Probably fear of Dad’s wrath.

Vibrating MJ3? Because of the chokes? Interesting and weird....
Makes me want one.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #122,382 of 151,795
I recently got a Lab Gruppen amp and they make a big deal of their copper heat pipe technology with some fancy stupid name.

Tech-sharing possibility so Schiit can branch out to copper cases, like D'Agostino? I'd rebuy all my Schiit in copper....
Try a search for companies near you doing copper over plastic or aluminum for EMI / EMC coatings

A clear coat over the bare copper will also be necessary, unless you want patina. @Paladin79 Not that there’s anything wrong with patina of course :smile_phones:
1690438232017.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #122,385 of 151,795

I see water that is 140 Fahrenheit causes burns in 6 seconds, but I'm not sure thats apples to apples

How hot is 60 deg C compared to the glass bulb of a vacuum tube?

I ask, because I had fully intended on buying an MJ3, but I've got small kids, one is in the terrible 2s, and I'm a bit concerned about my use case for MJ3 if its a burn hazard.

I want to go in with eyes fully open, thanks.
Do you have radiators in the house?

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back