Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #121,232 of 153,406
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #121,236 of 153,406
Hm…

I either need a smaller desk, or a longer cable for my Focal Elex… 🤔

IMG_4892.jpeg

Edit:
Ah, found the three foot extension that I kinda forgot I had. Problem solved, the desk can stay. 😁
I really like those modular Hart Audio cables. Nifty things, they are.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #121,237 of 153,406
run your own tests, with both optical and coaxial links connected and select the input (link) via the DAC. toslink and RCA coaxial should sound the same, but they don't. IMO, the optical sounds "smoother" but there is also less ambient and low-level information present.

if you have optical sources, or still want to use optical, then consider one of these devices
https://www.markertek.com/product/d...udio-switcher-with-power-supply-and-ir-remote

an interesting test would be to daisy-chain several of these devices using exclusively optical or coaxial connection and compare the audio quality. or keep increasing the number of devices and links until the signal is no longer reliable.

Maybe I'm not getting my point across, but it really doesn't matter to Mike Moffat what my own findings are. The point is he made a very matter-of-fact statement about something with a LOT of differing opinions, and felt strongly enough to exclude it here. And it stopped me in my tracks and made me go "wait, what?" It begs further elaboration.

Especially since optical is still offered on ALL of Schiits other latest-and-greatest digital products, including multi-thousand dollar ones, so it's quite something to suddenly learn they think it "sounds like ass."

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #121,238 of 153,406
This!!!

I've been wanting a multi-output Schiit DDC (USB in - optical, RCA coax, BNC, AES/EBU out) since the Eitr first came out.

Add a sample rate indicator (like the Yggy's), and I'll be the first in line for one!
Add I2S output for good measure...I would be interested.

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #121,239 of 153,406
Maybe I'm not getting my point across, but it really doesn't matter to Mike Moffat what my own findings are. The point is he made a very matter-of-fact statement about something with a LOT of differing opinions, and felt strongly enough to exclude it here. And it stopped me in my tracks and made me go "wait, what?" It begs further elaboration.

Especially since optical is still offered on ALL of Schiits other latest-and-greatest digital products, including multi-thousand dollar ones, so it's quite something to suddenly learn they think it "sounds like ass."
Mike has always, ah, disliked optical--dating back to the 1980s. This is not a new thing for him. Hell, he created his own glass-fiber-based optical interface at Theta Digital because he detested plastic optical (TOSLINK) so much. That AT&T interface was a $1000 option on his DACs in 1990. As in, like $1,000 MORE than the cost of the Urd today in constant dollars. ($1K 1991 = $2270ish today).

Matter of fact: optical plastic fiber is a fairly bad medium, with limited bandwidth and sometimes compatibility problems at 176/192K, even with 25MHz rated parts, like what we use. 16MHz parts, forget about it.

Also matter of fact: optical plastic fiber is on everything, most importantly TVs. So of course you'd include that on everything as an input.

As an output on your new shiny shoot-the-moon category-redefining product? Ah, that's a big fat "no." I agree 100% with Mike on that.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #121,240 of 153,406

That opinion has been expressed since this thread's beginnings.

JC

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #121,242 of 153,406
Jul 12, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #121,244 of 153,406
Mike has always, ah, disliked optical--dating back to the 1980s. This is not a new thing for him. Hell, he created his own glass-fiber-based optical interface at Theta Digital because he detested plastic optical (TOSLINK) so much. That AT&T interface was a $1000 option on his DACs in 1990. As in, like $1,000 MORE than the cost of the Urd today in constant dollars. ($1K 1991 = $2270ish today).

Matter of fact: optical plastic fiber is a fairly bad medium, with limited bandwidth and sometimes compatibility problems at 176/192K, even with 25MHz rated parts, like what we use. 16MHz parts, forget about it.

Also matter of fact: optical plastic fiber is on everything, most importantly TVs. So of course you'd include that on everything as an input.

As an output on your new shiny shoot-the-moon category-redefining product? Ah, that's a big fat "no." I agree 100% with Mike on that.

Alright, fair enough. It's always worthwhile knowing some "why" behind big-ish decisions like that.

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #121,245 of 153,406

Users who are viewing this thread

Back