Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 16, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #120,121 of 155,040
Interesting ... I love how the Gungnir presents music with kick. But, as AP so aptly noted, we're both hearing the sum of our rig, not just the DAC. Perhaps it is the transducers that don't deliver enough punch? Just a thought ...

Just Checking.. You have a Gungnir A1?

Agreed the sum of all the gear. Unfortunately for me I have run through a lot of gear, electronics and transducers. I'll just say that replacing the Gungnir A1 with a Modi MultiBit 2 resulted in the appropriate level of slam for that kind of music although not the finesse for the type GA1 is good at.

As far as speakers: Monitor Audio RS8 (aluminum dome) and Studio Speakers (Ribbon Tweeter), Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, ERA Design 4 Satellites, Dali Zensor 3, Soliloquy 5.0, Totem Mite and some older Mission 773 would be all that I tried. (Not an equal amount of electronics, but several choices there too, plus multiple input tubes on tube amp)

I'd genuinely like to listen to the Gungnir A2 although now that its discontinued probably not much.
That being said A1 with most the music I listen to is Amazing!

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #120,122 of 155,040
So, all of our amps sound like this? All different topologies, from integrated designs like Magni Heretic to power amps like Ragnarok to tube amps like Valhalla and Folkvangr? From simple topologies like Asgard and Asgard 2 to tube-like topologies like Lyr+? Including circlotrons like Mjolnir and Mjolnir 2? From amps with simple output stages like Magni+ to Continuity amps like Asgard 3? How about DACs? All of them? Modi? Bifrost? Modius? Yggdrasil?

Wow, I'm a magician. Because there's no physical way to make these very different products have the same sound characteristics.

But seriously:

1. I experiment with a lot of things, and listen to new ideas pretty much every month, if not every week.
2. We put an insane amount of time in R&D, both on the analog and digital side.
3. Different products will sound different to different people with different tastes in different systems.

I hope you find something that gets you to sonic nirvana, even if it isn't our gear.
And flipping that round - give 10 different people the same basic recipe for pound cake and you will get 10 totally different cakes !

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #120,123 of 155,040
And flipping that round - give 10 different people the same basic recipe for pound cake and you will get 10 totally different cakes !
… and nine of ten may not weigh a pound 🤪

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #120,124 of 155,040
Just Checking.. You have a Gungnir A1?

Agreed the sum of all the gear. Unfortunately for me I have run through a lot of gear, electronics and transducers. I'll just say that replacing the Gungnir A1 with a Modi MultiBit 2 resulted in the appropriate level of slam for that kind of music although not the finesse for the type GA1 is good at.

As far as speakers: Monitor Audio RS8 (aluminum dome) and Studio Speakers (Ribbon Tweeter), Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, ERA Design 4 Satellites, Dali Zensor 3, Soliloquy 5.0, Totem Mite and some older Mission 773 would be all that I tried. (Not an equal amount of electronics, but several choices there too, plus multiple input tubes on tube amp)

I'd genuinely like to listen to the Gungnir A2 although now that its discontinued probably not much.
That being said A1 with most the music I listen to is Amazing!

No, A2. Actually, I have two Gungnirs. The 5-yr old one was in beta test for A2 so upgraded by Schiit + Gen5 USB installed. Not much, if any, difference between A1 and A2 to my ears. The new Gungnir is a couple months old, so it's A2 and Unison. I listen to the new one because Unison >> Gen5 USB. I'm also using a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp, which provides plenty of punch, too. The volume has never been turned past 8:00 o'clock on that amp. :)

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #120,125 of 155,040
I have an Eitr feeding my MM1. My understanding is that the advantage of the MM2 is its Unison USB. I guess I need to listen to them both and compare.
I found the MM1 to be warmer, for lack of a better word. The MM2 is more resolving, more detail. Not harsh though or bright. All subjective observations of course.

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #120,127 of 155,040
I just wanted to get a post in on this page number.

Thank you.
750-RCldTR808_detail01.jpg

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #120,128 of 155,040
I found the MM1 to be warmer, for lack of a better word. The MM2 is more resolving, more detail. Not harsh though or bright. All subjective observations of course.
The MM1 is definitely on the warm side of neutral, especially when paired with my Vali 2++. It also sounds warmer than the Geshelli J2. It tends to sound more neutral when paired with my JDS Labs Atom Amp +.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #120,130 of 155,040
You see, the problem is that people keep reading my posts on the rather narrow screens of their phones. If they used a wider screen instead, my posts would be much shorter indeed. I mean, that's just science, right?! 😁
Perfect!!

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #120,131 of 155,040
No, A2. Actually, I have two Gungnirs. The 5-yr old one was in beta test for A2 so upgraded by Schiit + Gen5 USB installed. Not much, if any, difference between A1 and A2 to my ears. The new Gungnir is a couple months old, so it's A2 and Unison. I listen to the new one because Unison >> Gen5 USB. I'm also using a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp, which provides plenty of punch, too. The volume has never been turned past 8:00 o'clock on that amp. :)
You can change a few resistors and get a more useable rotation of the vol pot...simple.
I spoke to BH1 manufacturer when I was looking at buying one.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #120,132 of 155,040
okay I admit that I have not heard your Lyr+ and your new Folkvangr amp. As well as your Birforst2 and Ygg lim, A2.. But up to the Jot2 the compression is still there while all of my other brands cheaper amps have not. The magni3 and the Jot1 have it. The modi multibit v1 v2 modi 3 akm and the og Bifrost multibit have that compression effect too. Was they designed to sound that way? To my ears I hardly stand it. It is like singers just try the best to shout as loud as possible instead of singing. I dont know what is called sonic nirvana and if I do maybe I can’t afford it . But with some cheap audio devices I own now I can listen music for hours without feeling that loud effect.
PS: please don’t call me a Schiit hater because I bought and sold many its products. I am just fed up with the effort to find a Shiit MID TIER amps that have no irritation to my ears. Heck I feel the Piety sounds normal to some extent. Besides there are so many other popular brands nowadays. Maybe in the future I can regain my interest and go to try the new Lyr plus that is barely in my affordable range and I love its design.

most of Schiit's HP amps are specified ruler-flat (variations less than ~0.1dB) from 20-20kHz, that implies a (high-frequency) -3dB bandwidth in excess of 80kHz, and in some cases much much higher (Asgard 3's -3dB is 400kHz, Jotunheim 2's is 700kHz). Therefore, ultrasonic signals that get into your playback chain before the HP amplifier will be amplified and passed thru to your headphones and your ears, possibly causing listening fatigue. Ultrasonics aren't limited to the analog parts of your signal chain, and might be generated upstream of the DAC elsewhere in the digital realm including digital source (e.g. streamer, music server), software EQ or other 'plug-ins', digital upsampler, etc.

Some implementations of (improperly designed) FL and LED lighting can emit ultrasonics onto the power line or into nearby devices/ cabling.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #120,134 of 155,040
Previous discussion about Citroën vehicles.
This has been my transportation for the past week. By happenstance.
Beautiful. Too bad it's not sold in the US - but t's not an EV so not for me. :)

-edit- I haven't looked at the Citroen lineup for a few years and it looks like they do offered a wide range of electric vehicles! Outstanding. Now import those things here thanks. https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/new-e-c4-x.html

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #120,135 of 155,040
Unashamedly enjoying this tonight:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back