Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #118,921 of 150,695
I don't really need an URD, but I'll be damned if I don't WANT one!! :D

May 24, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #118,922 of 150,695
I, for one, still think that any form of remote control is a dumb idea because we our spouses and kids are all too fat and need to get up more.
Growing up being a remote was one of our duties as a kid. Dad would say what channel and where to move the antenna to for the best picture. He had three remotes to choose from.

May 24, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #118,923 of 150,695
Understood, but I wonder why they discontinued them if they had so much stock left. Just let it roll until it runs out?

I bought mine in November thinking there were 5 left. 🤣
A $600 Freya with tubes is the best deal in audio right now, and there are a lot of good deals out there currently.

Agree though, in hindsight they could have simply reduced the price and left them on the main page until they were gone. I've said it before, it is very hard for someone to check out specs, etc. on the closeout models when they are yanked from the current pages. I think it makes them ironically harder to sell.

May 24, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #118,924 of 150,695
This should be pretty close--revised Urd manual.

Looks good! Question for @Jason Stoddard : When Stop is engaged (quick press) does the laser head align with track 1?

Great job as always! :)

Interesting that SPDIF optical not available. Not that I care about it in this instance, but what was the reason to include SPDIF coax and not toslink?

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #118,925 of 150,695
Ok, I searched this thread and the site and can't seem to find a viable answer, so I apologize if the answer is here.

I'm getting frustrated with having to pull SE cables out of my Freya+ and into my Jotunheim in order to listen to my turntable, external DAC, etc. over headphones as opposed to speakers. I'm also thinking if I switch out cables over and over, I take on the risk of damaging one or both units. So, my question is, can I use the Frey+ as a pre amp to the Jotunheim? I'm currently using one set of the SE outs to a sub, and I have the balanced outs going to mono block PS Audio M700s. I'm wondering if it is safe to connect the other SE output in the Freya to my Jotunheim. And, if so, what volume settings do I use. I have seen users doing this in Reddit, but... It's Reddit :) No offense to you reddit users :)

May 24, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #118,926 of 150,695
Looks good! Question for @Jason Stoddard : When Stop is engaged (quick press) does the laser head align with track 1?

Great job as always! :)

Interesting that SPDIF optical not available. Not that I care about it in this instance, but what was the reason to include SPDIF coax and not toslink?
Because toslink sounds like ass?

May 24, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #118,927 of 150,695
Because toslink sounds like ass?
It's in the manual.

1684950486947.png

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 24, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #118,928 of 150,695
Ok, I searched this thread and the site and can't seem to find a viable answer, so I apologize if the answer is here.

I'm getting frustrated with having to pull SE cables out of my Freya+ and into my Jotunheim in order to listen to my turntable, external DAC, etc. over headphones as opposed to speakers. I'm also thinking if I switch out cables over and over, I take on the risk of damaging one or both units. So, my question is, can I use the Frey+ as a pre amp to the Jotunheim? I'm currently using one set of the SE outs to a sub, and I have the balanced outs going to mono block PS Audio M700s. I'm wondering if it is safe to connect the other SE output in the Freya to my Jotunheim. And, if so, what volume settings do I use. I have seen users doing this in Reddit, but... It's Reddit :) No offense to you reddit users :)
Absolutely. Passive all the way up = straight thru. Be careful when switching back though.

May 24, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #118,930 of 150,695
Gotta say I absolutely love it when I get an answer straight from the person that would know better than anyone else on the planet, and within minutes to boot!! Thanks Jason!
Absolutely. Passive all the way up = straight thru. Be careful when switching back though.
One more question, to make sure I don't blow anything up... When you say Passive all the way up, are you saying that I shouldn't use the Differential buffer stage or Differential tube gain stage on the Freya+? And by be careful when switching back, are you basically saying I should make sure the Jot is either turned off, the SE input is disabled, or the volume is all the way down before switching to one of those stages on the Freya+?

May 24, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #118,931 of 150,695
One more question, to make sure I don't blow anything up... When you say Passive all the way up, are you saying that I shouldn't use the Differential buffer stage or Differential tube gain stage on the Freya+? And by be careful when switching back, are you basically saying I should make sure the Jot is either turned off, the SE input is disabled, or the volume is all the way down before switching to one of those stages on the Freya+?
You can use any stage you want--it won't hurt anything. But if you want the closest to a straight wire connection, go passive with volume all the way up.

Just be careful--the volume is all the way up.

Or you can use volume on Freya as well. In passive, it just sticks a couple of resistors in the path. Up to you. Freya is very hard to kill.

May 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #118,932 of 150,695

I recently picked up a Freya N and have a similar-ish setup in my office

F (balanced out) --> headphone amp
F (SE 1 out) --> Gjallarhorn
F (SE 2 out) --> subwoofer

Assuming you want to use the tube buffered stage you'll be pushing signal on all 3-outputs (2x SE, 1x balanced) at the same time

For speakers + sub - I leave the headphone amp off, and turn on the Gjallarhorn and sub
For headphones - I turn the Gjallarhorn and sub off, and turn on the headphone amp - I set the headphone amp volume to 90% and use the Freya's attenuator to set my listening level

This involves turning things on and off as needed which isn't going to be convenient in every situation - but it gets my backside out of the chair so there's that

Also every so often I'll forget to turn the subwoofer off and wind up listening to headphones and wondering why the bass is so much more palpable all of sudden ...

May 24, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #118,933 of 150,695
Some more good news on the digital front:
  • Bifrost 2/64 backorders start shipping Thursday. Bifrost 2/64 orders placed now should ship in 7-10 days (max, probably less).
  • Modi Multibit 2 backorders start shipping Friday. MMB2 orders placed now should ship in 7-10 days, maybe less.
  • Next week, the True Multibit Unison Card starts shipping. This is the new multibit DAC card for Jotunheim, Ragnarok 2, Asgard 3, and Lyr 3. It's $200 like the old one. The big difference is that it has Unison USB input. We'll update the site so you can order it with our current products, or purchase as an upgrade.
The huge DSP drought is ending!

The DAC drought still endures (if you're looking at Yggdrasil OG, best not to wait too long)...but we're working on that...
This is great news! Think it's time to give my new Jot 2 a Bifrost to match. Modi+ looks a little sad resting up top.

May 24, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #118,935 of 150,695
I recently picked up a Freya N and have a similar-ish setup in my office

F (balanced out) --> headphone amp
F (SE 1 out) --> Gjallarhorn
F (SE 2 out) --> subwoofer

Assuming you want to use the tube buffered stage you'll be pushing signal on all 3-outputs (2x SE, 1x balanced) at the same time

For speakers + sub - I leave the headphone amp off, and turn on the Gjallarhorn and sub
For headphones - I turn the Gjallarhorn and sub off, and turn on the headphone amp - I set the headphone amp volume to 90% and use the Freya's attenuator to set my listening level

This involves turning things on and off as needed which isn't going to be convenient in every situation - but it gets my backside out of the chair so there's that

Also every so often I'll forget to turn the subwoofer off and wind up listening to headphones and wondering why the bass is so much more palpable all of sudden ...
I actually heard this is a thing... running a sub while listening to cans to get that palpable feeling of bass. I think Duncan talks about doing it in one of the HiFi Podcast episodes - fun and very informative podcast BTW. Much like this thread. Of course you probably can't do this if you are purposely listening to your cans to keep from upsetting the missus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back