Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #118,743 of 155,127
Thanks looks great. Any early preview of the other much anticipated Urd?
A few pages. Fair warning: not proofed, wrong display image on Operation page (we're simplifying), things may change a bit.

1684602155058.png

1684602197352.png

1684602126226.png

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 20, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #118,744 of 155,127
A few pages. Fair warning: not proofed, wrong display image on Operation page (we're simplifying), things may change a bit.

Thanks for posting these, @Jason Stoddard

I assume ALL Schiit DACs ever produced are UAC2 compliant? It might be nice to include a list of current/past Schiit DACs that are compliant. To take paraphrase a quote from Miranda July's movie, "Me and You and Everyone We Know," perhaps you can include the sentence, "You Schiit into my Schiit and I Schiit into your Schiit. Back and forth. Forever. The Schiit Urd is best used with Schiit DACs*. But you can use any UAC2 compliant DAC." (*Include a list of current/past compliant Schiit DACs.)

So a potential chain (in my use-case scenario) could be HTPC USB output > Urd USB input (1 of 2) > Urd USB output > Bifrost 2/64 USB input. I would then select input CD or USB1 depending on my desired source.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #118,745 of 155,127

No Pause button?

Me thinks that the Play button (both unit and remote) should be a toggle between Play and Pause and so marked. I imagine the functionality is there because otherwise would be a pain to use Stop when an outside interruption occurs. If the functionality is not there, the genius firmware programmer can do that with a few lines of code. :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #118,750 of 155,127
A few pages. ...
That's a lovely piece of kit. Makes me wonder about DVD player -> URD -> Syn.

More importantly, can you loan me one so I can see if it's compatible with my HiFi Rose streamer? The Rose can control a USB CD player and has the ORT-requisite VU meters....

May 20, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #118,751 of 155,127
has the ORT-requisite VU meters....
I know what that phrase is supposed to mean, but I will once again beat my drum that VU meters are only "requisite" in recording studios on professional gear. In home audio the only place they have meaning is on analog recording devices.

May 20, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #118,752 of 155,127
I know what that phrase is supposed to mean, but I will once again beat my drum that VU meters are only "requisite" in recording studios on professional gear. In home audio the only place they have meaning is on analog recording devices.
Not sure they are even vital there, since everyone uses a DAW now. Anyway here is an interesting take on the subject.

May 20, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #118,753 of 155,127
Not sure they are even vital there, since everyone uses a DAW now. Anyway here is an interesting take on the subject.

😁 I enjoyed that the last few times I have watched it. I do get involved in recording on occasion so I am around them. In some of my more current work I am seeing more power meters.

D2FA292B-75B4-4493-801B-A60447A0AFF6.jpeg

I may also grab a reel to reel so I can properly check the Dolby NR system on this receiver. It is on its side because I am still refurbing it. $900 in 1975 bought you a lot of circuitry.🤪

The power meters serve two functions since they also show record level.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #118,754 of 155,127

More importantly, can you loan me one so I can see if it's compatible with my HiFi Rose streamer? The Rose can control a USB CD player and has the ORT-requisite VU meters....
Just buy one to try and take advantage of the 15 day return policy.

May 20, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #118,755 of 155,127
VU meters on vintage gear are fun, but as far as a new gear goes - nice to have on the nice vs. gotta have scale. They serve no purpose other than eye candy. Not under valuing eye candy, but I fully respect the decision to forego them and think no less of a mfg if they choose to not include them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back