Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #118,756 of 155,168
VU meters on vintage gear are fun, but as far as a new gear goes - nice to have on the nice vs. gotta have scale. They serve no purpose other than eye candy. Not under valuing eye candy, but I fully respect the decision to forego them and think no less of a mfg if they choose to not include them.
I disagree about serving no purpose, my system is fairly complex and they are an easy way for me to track specific signals. They also show me tube imbalance. Many of my uses are not for everyone. I have never said they should be on Schiit gear of course.🤪

May 20, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #118,757 of 155,168
I disagree about serving no purpose, my system is fairly complex and they are an easy way for me to track specific signals. They also show me tube imbalance. Many of my uses are not for everyone. I have never said they should be on Schiit gear of course.🤪
Well, I was making a statement that represented both my opinion and a what I consider a typical user. You, my friend, are not TYPICAL by any stretch of the imagination. 😄

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #118,759 of 155,168
Well, I was making a statement that represented both my opinion and a what I consider a typical user. You, my friend, are not TYPICAL by any stretch of the imagination. 😄
I am now engrossed in rebuilding five receivers from the mid seventies valued at $25k minimum once refurbished so I suppose that is not typical.🤣 Roughly $100 a pound, they are heavy. I will still take the time to check out your Carver preamp and even rebuild Cowen’s receiver if the proper conditions are met.😁

May 20, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #118,760 of 155,168
I am now engrossed in rebuilding five receivers from the mid seventies valued at $25k minimum once refurbished so I suppose that is not typical.🤣 Roughly $100 a pound, they are heavy. I will still take the time to check out your Carver preamp and even rebuild Cowen’s receiver if the proper conditions are met.😁
IIRC the conditions were that I send it to you, wait a bit, and say Thank You when you send it back. Right? 🤣

Geeez....at $100/lb, it'd be worth over $30k. Maybe I should send some security personnel with it. :slight_smile:

May 20, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #118,761 of 155,168
IIRC the conditions were that I send it to you, wait a bit, and say Thank You when you send it back. Right? 🤣

Geeez....at $100/lb, it'd be worth over $30k. Maybe I should send some security personnel with it. :slight_smile:
You best get to your doctor and have your memory checked, if you can remember your doctor that is.🤪 Some receivers are worth that, yours may be worth scrap metal value.😁

May 20, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #118,762 of 155,168
You best get to your doctor and have your memory checked, if you can remember your doctor that is.🤪 Some receivers are worth that, yours may be worth scrap metal value.😁
Pffft. I still have its original box. That's gotta be worth at least $15k by itself.

May 20, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #118,763 of 155,168
May 20, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #118,764 of 155,168
Fair warning ... this is a post about Schiit :astonished:

I have been playing around with a few bits and pieves of kit to see how best to incorporate Syn into my system, and offload my XMC-1. The XMC-1 is a good processor, but taking it out of my system and using a Freya+ over the last few weeks has shown me how much better Freya+ is for music. So I have stripped the system back to the following with Freya+ as the hub:

Apple TV -> Oppo BDP103 -> Freya+
Node 2i -> Bifrost 2 -> Freya+
Dual 701 T/T -> Mani 2 -> Freya+
..... Freya+ -> 2 x Vidar (XLR) / Subwoofer (RCA) / Magni 3 (RCA)

If I add Syn into the system, and use the SE output from Freya that I currently feed to my subwoofer will the following hold true?

Max volume on Syn and use the Freya+ volume to control overall levels
Relative center level adjusted by the center level on Syn
Relative surround level adjusted by the surround level on Syn
Width control still works to focus the centre?
Presence control only affects the centre?
If I leave the amp for the Centre and Surrounds powered off, the Subwoofer will still work in stereo mode?

Sound System Wiring (SYN).png

I have re-read the chapter and the manual, so I think it works as I want, but interested in any experience anyone has with a use case like the above.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #118,765 of 155,168
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Low Rider.......War

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #118,767 of 155,168
A few pages. Fair warning: not proofed, wrong display image on Operation page (we're simplifying), things may change a bit.
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 10.15.36 PM.png

I recall that when Urd was on display for the first time at a meet (SoCal?), someone wrote that he and others at the table couldn't figure out how to eject the tray. When the disc is already stopped, why not a simple press instead of press and hold to eject?

May 21, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #118,768 of 155,168
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 10.15.36 PM.png
I recall that when Urd was on display for the first time at a meet (SoCal?), someone wrote that he and others at the table couldn't figure out how to eject the tray. When the disc is already stopped, why not a simple press instead of press and hold to eject?
I think that press and hold is to prevent the CD land on the tray while it is still spinning .....

May 21, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #118,770 of 155,168
I think that press and hold is to prevent the CD land on the tray while it is still spinning .....
I'm saying that when the disc is already stopped, a simple press should be sufficient to eject.

It should be programmed to do the appropriate action in all cases. If you press and hold while the disc is spinning, it should wait for the spinning to stop before ejecting. If you press twice without holding, similarly the second press should cause it to wait for the spinning to stop before ejecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back