Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #118,591 of 151,187
Yep. I saw it after I posted. Man, you don't read the forum for just a few days and BOOM! almost 400 posts...
Wait! You don’t constantly check this page at least 100 times a day? Are you mad? 🤣🤣🤣

May 17, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #118,592 of 151,187
Speaking of phenomenal drummers…

This might be my favorite drumming-related video, because it so perfectly demonstrates three concepts I very deeply believe in: That merit weighs more than fame or showmanship, that less is pretty much almost always more, and that you can usually spot the true craftsman in the room by their clear lack of "trying too hard."

The contrast that can be seen in this video couldn't be more crass. While Jay Weinberg, certainly a decent drummer in his own right, looks like he's drumming for dear life, Max shows up in a suit and proceeds to play his son through the wall without so much as breaking a sweat. Jay's all over the place, banging his way an inch closer towards a torn rotator cuff with every passing minute, cracking and/or losing a stick every few bars. Meanwhile, Max pretty much just sits there in his suit and tie, with a posture that would make even the most cynical of orthopedists proud, and with a smile on his face that just so oozes with his genuine enjoyment of the craft and of the moment.

Sure, they're both coming from vastly different genres. Jay's a punk and metal drummer by trade, and Max's is rock and blues. So it's completely understandable that Jay looks and sounds like a fish out of water here, while Max looks and sounds like he's right at home with this track. But that's not my point.
My point is that there's no argument that Jay, taken on his own, is a world-class drummer. But he can't hold a candle to Max's energy and mind-boggingly effortless yet almost machine-like level of precision.

I was never able to get into anything Springsteen-related, to me he's just some highly overrated bloke who happened to be in the right place at the right time.* But Weinberg's phenomenal work alone has my finger move away from the skip button whenever something "Springsteen" comes on. He also single-handedly elevated Conan's band to the best late night band there ever was. (No disrespect to Paul Shaffer, Helmut Zerlett, Jon Batiste, Reggie Watts, Questlove, or Doc Severinsen, but come on!)

So, yeah.
Max Weinberg.
What a phenomenon!
Waaaaay up there with the likes of Buddy Rich, Jack DeJohnette, Keith Moon, Stewart Copeland, and Mickey Hart.
Honorable mention: Gil Sharone.

Plus: This video has them playing Benny Goodman's Sing Sing Sing, the most fantastic big band track ever written. Nothing else comes even close, at least not in terms of its overall energy and sheer overwhelming bopping power. A song that was pure metal decades before metal even was a thing, and one that will always be appreciated here at Casa del Armchair.

* This is overly harsh on purpose just to ruffle some feathers. Springsteen has always been an incredibly hard worker. I respect that, and for this alone he deserves every bit of cash and recognition that he gets. But purely from a merit point of view, as a musician, his fame is massively blown out of proportion. But in his defense: What the frack do I know, I think the same about the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Take That, Elton John, Prince, or Madonna, after all. Just to name a few of my "worst offenders"… 😬

PS, and on an entirely unrelated note: I just now realized that Blues Brothers 2000 has been out longer by this point than Blues Brothers was when Blues Brothers 2000 came out. The original Blues Brothers was 18 years old when Blues Brothers 2000 had hit the screens — which itself was 25 years ago. 🤯 Crap on a cracker, I'm getting old…

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #118,593 of 151,187
The firm I worked for for 13 years was purchased by a conglomerate early last year, and they parachuted a new CEO in 2 months ago. I was packaged out in a restructuring (not sad!) last month and after a single consultation with a lawyer, I just finished negotiating a proper package. All good, we're doing fine, and I'm enjoying a nice Spring and looking for something different, no rush. I'm in my "quasi-retirement" :ksc75smile:

Which brings me to hobbies, of which audio - Schitty audio in particular - is one. I'm seeing a very odd congruence in 3 of my 5 main hobbies: price of the wishlists. Concurrent with that is my wife's perception of value and need. With the astronomy gear gift from my brother I plan on selling some redundant items which will allow me to buy a few things without putting in any "new" money.

(all prices below are converted to Canadian dollars)
Schiit: cost of my current wish-list: $8,887
Astronomy: Mount + focal reducer: $9,012 (other bits can be added as well, but these are the immediate "needs")
Photography: A gently-used Canon 600MM f/4 IS II: $8,900

It's an odd and interesting coincidence that the costs of the three hobby-wants are virtually identical.

For the astronomy and photography items, my wife is "Go for it! All good.". She hates clutter and the soon-to-arrive astronomy gear is instant clutter-in-a-U-haul and she is thrilled that I'll get rid of even a small portion. Both hobbies get me out of the house often, now, and with other humans. After Covid and 3 years of working from home, she's been concerned that I wasn't getting enough in-person human interaction.

Here's the head-scratcher: For audio: "You have enough audio gear. Y U need MOOOAARRRRR??? You don't!".

Whut? 🤷‍♂️

I'd be a Lyr if denial of my fantasy Yggy Syn wouldn't send Tyrs down my face.

May 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #118,594 of 151,187
Yes, the black Freya S cover was available when I inquired about a month or so ago. I'm sure it's properly priced but with shipping cost, I debate whether the money may be better spent on other Schiit products that I still want. I may even grab a Freya N while I can and sell the S. Tubes might be fun and I need something new to obsess over. :beerchug:
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

9 more Freya Ns 115vac added to B stock page. Better get one!

“And I even like the color!”

May 17, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #118,595 of 151,187
11739453.jpeg

A lot of people prefer to stick heavy door stops up on top of their Schiit, but everybody around here knows: a cat sounds better.

IMG_4608.jpeg
He is completely chillin'. Got his own private Schittr and best seat in the house. Way cool.

May 17, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #118,596 of 151,187
Yes, the black Freya S cover was available when I inquired about a month or so ago. I'm sure it's properly priced but with shipping cost, I debate whether the money may be better spent on other Schiit products that I still want. I may even grab a Freya N while I can and sell the S. Tubes might be fun and I need something new to obsess over. :beerchug:
How much were they asking for the black cover plate?

May 17, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #118,597 of 151,187
The best drummer on the planet right now, IMO, is Brian Blade.

Always looking for inspiration, I will listen today to The Flecktones ... thanks to @Paladin79 for the idea. They don't have a drummer. But, they do have Bela Fleck, Victor Wooten, and Howard Levy, who's one helluva harp player. :)

May 17, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #118,598 of 151,187
May 17, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #118,599 of 151,187
The firm I worked for for 13 years was purchased by a conglomerate early last year, and they parachuted a new CEO in 2 months ago. I was packaged out in a restructuring (not sad!) last month and after a single consultation with a lawyer, I just finished negotiating a proper package. All good, we're doing fine, and I'm enjoying a nice Spring and looking for something different, no rush. I'm in my "quasi-retirement" :ksc75smile:

Congratulations!
I'm in nearly the same spot as you - my employer offered buyouts earlier this year and I took them up on it. My official last day isn't for a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to having a bit of fun before I go all in and look for a new job. :beerchug:

May 17, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #118,600 of 151,187
Congratulations!
I'm in nearly the same spot as you - my employer offered buyouts earlier this year and I took them up on it. My official last day isn't for a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to having a bit of fun before I go all in and look for a new job. :beerchug:
Good for you! :beerchug: My feeling when it all came down was that feeling I remember in grade-school when the bell went off at the last minute of the last hour as Summer vacation started. No worries, no cares, no stress, and lots of possibilities. My average sleep time per night is up almost 1.5 hours since. :slight_smile:

May 17, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #118,601 of 151,187
The best drummer on the planet right now, IMO, is Brian Blade.

Always looking for inspiration, I will listen today to The Flecktones ... thanks to @Paladin79 for the idea. They don't have a drummer. But, they do have Bela Fleck, Victor Wooten, and Howard Levy, who's one helluva harp player. :)
I'm trying to find the name of the modern jazz drummer who plays and sounds like a drum machine. He plays beats that I was positive that no human can play.

In the meantime... (Metal drummer reacts to Steve Moore aka "The Mad Drummer")

May 17, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #118,604 of 151,187
I discovered a really badass drummer on YT about a year ago, who goes by tobines (not sure if that's his real name or not). Everything I've seen has really impressed me, but here's him doing Slipknot's Iowa (the entire album) in a single take:

There is a single-camera version (from in front of the drum kit) of the video with no edits that proves it was a single-take, but I prefer the version with the perspective changes.

May 17, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #118,605 of 151,187
... you can usually spot the true craftsman in the room by their clear lack of "trying too hard."
I'm reminded of the economy of motion shown by these masters as they pushed themselves:
- Bill Bruford (as mentioned above) did so much with no arm flailing, very disciplined. Sitting at his feet for his eponymous band at The Stone in SF.
- Robert Fripp, was jamming so hard he ALMOST stood up from his chair. King Crimson Discipline, Old Waldorf, SF.
- John Entwistle, fingers flying but body still, arms only moving from the elbows down. The Ox. The Who at the larger Oakland Arena, but captivating nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back