Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 13, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #118,381 of 150,790
In the ancient Nordic "three" is spelled þrír. Or so a couple of sites dedicated to things Nordic sayeth.

When I looked it up the site said rarely were numbers displayed as symbols and so were most often written out.

Still, looks cool to me. Alas that some here find beauty for beauty's sake far too beastly for their sensibilidades delicadas. Must be why an umlaut does not appear above the letter "o" in Mjolnir. Oh wait...It is currently 2023 ce ("common era". And boy is it common!) ergo we must avoid things like the Renaissance and all that art for the sake of mankind meant. :L3000:

I'm a much simpler person.

Mjolnir had nothing after its name. The second iteration of Mjolnir has a "2" after its name. I am hoping the third iteration has... nevermind, I am sure ya'll get it. :deadhorse:

May 13, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #118,382 of 150,790
I'm a much simpler person.

Mjolnir had nothing after its name. The second iteration of Mjolnir has a "2" after its name. I am hoping the third iteration has... nevermind, I am sure ya'll get it. :deadhorse:
Okie dokie then! But I still think your initial idea of a "3" just fine. :beerchug:

May 13, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #118,383 of 150,790
Why not Mjolniiir ? 🤣🤣🤣

May 13, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #118,384 of 150,790
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Rods And Cones.......Blue Man Group

May 14, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #118,386 of 150,790
Made an all vinyl mix in honor of Mother's Day, called "Dear Mamma" with the title track being the 2Pac song of the same name. Ecclectic mix including hip hop, jazz, jamaican music, soul, electronic, etc. Mostly old stuff.

DM me if you want a link to the hi rez mix.

20230513_141924.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #118,388 of 150,790
MJ 3. No extraneous stuff. No microprocessor. No screens. Very simple and mechanical, as Mjolnirs always have been. Remember, asking for something over and over reduces the chance it will happen.

Two right side holes are for heatsinks. Two left side holes are for vents.

Maybe I'll give you a Bluetooth remote with VU meter displays for amps (and temperature, and output current, etc) for those who want something more verbose. LOL!

1684023319550.png

So MJ3 is as good as a bigger and better upgrade of Jot instead of Vallaha?

May 14, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #118,389 of 150,790
ChatGPT4 is getting 'smarter', every day... I look forward to the day when I can sit down with it and listen to LPs. <G>

Would a transconductance amplifier work well as a moving coil phono preamplifier? This seems to be a good use for the technology.

Yes, a transconductance amplifier can work well as a moving coil phono preamplifier. In fact, transconductance amplifiers are commonly used in moving coil phono preamplifiers due to their ability to provide high gain and low noise.

Moving coil cartridges are low output devices, typically producing an output voltage of only a few millivolts. This low signal level requires a preamplifier with high gain and low noise to bring the signal up to a level that can be properly amplified by a power amplifier or receiver.

Transconductance amplifiers are well-suited for this application because they can provide high gain without adding significant noise to the signal. They are also able to handle the low input impedance of moving coil cartridges, which can be as low as a few ohms.

One challenge with using a transconductance amplifier as a moving coil phono preamplifier is that it requires a power supply with high voltage and current capabilities to properly bias the FET or vacuum tube used in the amplifier circuit. Additionally, the design of the amplifier circuit must take into account the unique characteristics of the moving coil cartridge, such as its frequency response and impedance.

Overall, a well-designed transconductance amplifier can be an excellent choice for a moving coil phono preamplifier, providing high gain and low noise performance that can bring out the best in your vinyl collection.

May 14, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #118,391 of 150,790
Ala Cambridge Audio? They have their inputs and outputs labeled both right-side up under the jacks and upside-down over the jacks. Great when looking down over the top.

I've been using Windows Snip'n'Sketch to lift the drawings from Schiit's manuals and editing them. The image is printed and laminated for reference during those "blind system reconfigurations". An inspection mirror is a big help, too.

Freya S.jpg

May 14, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #118,392 of 150,790
MJ 3. No extraneous stuff. No microprocessor. No screens. Very simple and mechanical, as Mjolnirs always have been. Remember, asking for something over and over reduces the chance it will happen.

Two right side holes are for heatsinks. Two left side holes are for vents.

Maybe I'll give you a Bluetooth remote with VU meter displays for amps (and temperature, and output current, etc) for those who want something more verbose. LOL!

1684023319550.png
I’m very uncertain about this but does the MJ3 have height and width controls like Syn?

May 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #118,394 of 150,790
Bonus: Urd. No meters here either. Also screen will be simplified as below on RHS.

Simpler = better.

1684023666833.png

1684023752642.png
Urd power switch is outboard of the socket.

Hallelujah!

Easy to reach in from the side, making Urd suitable for tight shelves.

Is Jason mellowing in his mature years?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, MJ3 switch still guarded by the power cord, from the side. OTOH, suspect most users will give MJ3 several inches of clear air above, so not as big an inconvenience.

May 14, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #118,395 of 150,790
Not wanting to use adapted 6SN7s. Just looking for slightly larger openings for tubes for easier retrieval of a stranded noval adapter like 6922 to 12A*7 or 2C51…
Purchase a Unibit (step drill) for the diameter that you want. set it up in a drill press, and go for it. I enlarged the tube holes on my Freya OG this way for the same reason. You cannot tell that this was not factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back