Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #116,701 of 150,788
Apr 16, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #116,702 of 150,788
So, this duo is playing Muddy Creek on Saturday night...

If you like solid blues music, I think you could do worse for your $20 ticket. If you aren't in the area, then check out their Youtube page, I just love the sound of that guitar.

And if you are in the area, then check them out on Saturday night, then stay for Sunday's first ever SchiitMeet in the Old North State. We'd love to see you, details are found on the thread below:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/western-nc-schiitmeet-announcement.967399/

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #116,703 of 150,788
I am really interested in SYN, sounds like just the thing to get me into surround without much nervosa (yes, I am quite turned off by the confusing amount of standards and tweaking)

But how should I integrate the SYN into my setup?
Right now I am doing
PC>Eitr>Modi Multibit>Lokius>Project Sunrise/Ember>Headphones
PC>Eitr>Modi Multibit>Lokius>Project Sunrise/Ember>PFMOD 4 Way Crossover>JBL LSR305 + Yamaha SW215

Should the SYN come before the amp, or after the amp (especially if I want the surround headphone feature in SYN)?

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #116,704 of 150,788
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #116,705 of 150,788
I am really interested in SYN, sounds like just the thing to get me into surround without much nervosa (yes, I am quite turned off by the confusing amount of standards and tweaking)

But how should I integrate the SYN into my setup?
Right now I am doing
PC>Eitr>Modi Multibit>Lokius>Project Sunrise/Ember>Headphones
PC>Eitr>Modi Multibit>Lokius>Project Sunrise/Ember>PFMOD 4 Way Crossover>JBL LSR305 + Yamaha SW215

Should the SYN come before the amp, or after the amp (especially if I want the surround headphone feature in SYN)?
Assuming that you don't want to replace the Ember with the Syn, how about placing it between the Ember and your Headphones and your speakers?

The Ember has a line out, if I recall correctly, which you would feed into the Syn's analog line in. The JBLs would plug into Syn's main left and right and the Yamaha into Syn's subwoofer output. The headphones would use Syn's headphone out, of course.

That way, you'd add a dash of toobey goodness to your Syn.
I haven't tried this myself, but in theory the tube might actually turn out to be somewhat beneficial to what you get out of the rear speakers, but it may or may not make the center a tiny bit less focused.*

If you don't plan on keeping the Ember in the chain, Syn would simply go in its place.

* My reasoning, which could well be entirely wrong: I've heard tubes that can introduce a slightly uneven delay between the two channels, which is what the listener's brain would interpret as a wider soundstage when compared to what the same track would sound like without the tube in the chain. In a matrix surround system, that slight offset between the channels would cause the center to become a little quieter, because there's less of a phase overlap between the two channels. But the same slightly reduced phase overlap would also push more of the signal to the rear speakers …or som'thin'…

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #116,706 of 150,788
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #116,707 of 150,788
I think there are more than one version of the note. Here’s the link to the 48 driver version. I misread the specs. It’s a heated 2.5 inch x 2 inch x 87 inch enclosure. No mention of drivers. Still a crazy speaker.
Agreed. I haven't figured out what the designer is going for with heating the cabinets. While I could understand having a constant, known condition inside the enclosure, that's not the way I read the Home Theater Review article. That author said it was a way to "make the drivers think they are in a larger enclosure than they are". That's weird. I get the idea behind the design, though. Lots and lots of little drivers: the Magnepan sub-woofer works with the same principle. They were impressive when I heard them at the Texas Round-up.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #116,708 of 150,788
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #116,709 of 150,788
With no due respect to the designer of that speaker array, heating the speaker enclosure to make the drivers behave as if they're in a larger volume is idiotic.

Add half an inch of depth to the cabinet and you're done. Of course, that takes away all the mystical audiophile bs and hence reduces the price (profit) substantially.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #116,710 of 150,788
With no due respect to the designer of that speaker array, heating the speaker enclosure to make the drivers behave as if they're in a larger volume is idiotic.

Add half an inch of depth to the cabinet and you're done. Of course, that takes away all the mystical audiophile bs and hence reduces the price (profit) substantially.
The enclosure is heated first, then cryogenically treated. Having both heat and cold applied is a new step forward in sound reproduction. It also makes the enclosure MQA compliant. :smirk_cat:

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #116,711 of 150,788
Curious about The Note, I went to Laufer Teknik's website and started poking around. I found the copy for the Furutech Vesuvius II power cord. I almost laughed out loud reading it.

To be clear, I am not bashing Furutech, just whoever wrote their ad copy. And, not bashing them either, really. Just laughing at their choice of words.

By the way, according to a Home Theater Review article, linked at Laufer Teknik's website, The Note is available in two versions, 96 or 112 1" drivers. Nothing in that article about the drivers' excursion. The Note has low frequency response to 85 Hz and is sold with an SVS subwoofer. It's designed and built by the guy who came up with the Pipedreams a couple decades ago.

I heard the Pipedreams at CES 2004. Back then, I was working in audio mastering. My monitors were Meyer Sound HD-1s, which were very accurate speakers, designed for both even frequency response and correct phase response. For me, the Pipedreams weren't much of a hit. Not impressed. They sounded uneven, unbalanced, like a stack of cheap speakers, atop of one another. I suppose that's what they were. Impressive visually, but sound quality was lacking, IMO. I hope the new speakers are better...? :grinning:

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #116,712 of 150,788
Last evening's tune:

IMG_8385.jpeg

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #116,714 of 150,788
Hoping to get some help with my Loki Max:

Last night it started loudly popping when switching between passthru and active and it sent my amp into protection mode.

Left everything offline for the night and this morning it's the same problem. I took it out of my setup to see if there was another issue causing gain but it seems to be the Max. Is there something happening here I have control over? Or is something bust?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #116,715 of 150,788
Didn’t see any Schiit there sadly.

But I did hear a few good systems.

A handful of systems sounded excellent but the majority didn’t sound as good as what I have. And most cost multiples of what my rig cost.

If ever there was a speaker gimmick, this has got to be it.

I couldn't have these in my living room without feeling like an idiot, even if the designer could prove to me substantial benefits of this configuration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back