Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #111,947 of 150,702
I really want to hear how the Gj's would do with something efficient like a set of Zu, Tekton, Klipsch or etc. It really makes for such an accessible system to the audio plebians, lay persons and generally un-annointed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Zu Audio Dirty Weekend, Gjallerhorn, Saga and Bifrost. Let's go!
I use 10-watt-per-channel tube amps with Klipsch speakers, both Heresy and smaller models. I am not into loud heavy rock, more jazz and sixties rock. It works. Gj’s are clearly a different beast and your demands for volume could be more. And people love to argue the Klipsch speakers are not as efficient as claimed. My Vidar sounds more authoritative with the same music and the same speakers. But I could retire to a cottage with ten watts per channel. I could equally retire with the Vidar.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #111,948 of 150,702
Since this thread has been a good source for music recommendations, I wonder if there ... I like electronic, space music, New Age and fusion too. Any other bands that I should look out for?

Thanks. :grinning:
I filled out my initial playlists with 80's alternative / 'New Wave' favourites - done. Lately it's been electronic (with bass influence) ? I looked at what I've been listening to, toooo many artists but I tried to narrow it down to ten but conceded to fifteen,

Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
Babybird - Neil Armstrong
Cake - Never There
Daft Punk - Solar Sailer

Daniel Avery - Projector
Greg Haines - 183 Times
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene, Pt.4
Jonathan Roy - Keeping Me Alive(acoustic)
Kraftwerk - The Robots
Max Cooper - Resynthesis 3D (Binaural Version)
Moby - God Moving Over the face of the Waters reprise version
Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi
Rillakill - My Time is Coming
Soulwax - E Talking
Trentemoller - Chameleon

Hope you see/find something new you like.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #111,949 of 150,702
I know I'm almost a week late to this conversation, but just wanted to chime in regarding the irrational chase for more power that seems so prevalent these days. I've been running a pair of Ohm 1000s with an Aegir for the past two years and love it. That's after several prior years of using well regarded class D amps (first Bel Canto and the VTV Hypex) that had wattage many multiples of the Aegir's power. The Aegir wins hands-down. Now, I do cheat a little by having a sub in the system, which does take the low-end duty off the Ohms, but this setup plays louder, clearer and cleaner than I need. I've got no urge to chase wattage.

Now, as respects the new entries, the Rekkr and Gjallahorn, all I need to do is figure out a system to use them in...

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #111,950 of 150,702
If you sell the Asgard you lose the headamp... If you only have the one source from the Bifrost keep the Asgard as the preamp, it'll be fine in that setup.

And re the 86db speakers ... 86db is pretty loud, maybe more than many would listen to regularly, and louder than you might think. You get that for about 1 watt and have some headroom to spare with the Gjallarhorn.

I have a Gjallerhorn arriving in a few days, and will try it driving @Paladin79 built mini speakers, and then will move it to drive Pioneer HPM-100s, which are fairly efficient (92 dB). Will post results.
Your pioneers will go plenty loud, if my ML Motion 20s are any indication (4ohm, 90 dB). I unplugged single Aegir to try Gjallarhorn, and haven't gone back...

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #111,951 of 150,702
Would love to hear someone's review of the Gjallarhorn(s) and LS50 Meta's (Nearfield). I currently am running this config with a Rag 2. Was thinking about Aegir's and Vidars...but am very curious...

Thank you
Peak power delivered by Rag2 can be calculated knowing a few more things:
Loudspeaker specs,
Source dac & its connection type (internal module / se xlr)
Typical volume knob & Rag2 gain settings,

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #111,952 of 150,702
Considering a new Freya +. Based on output/input impedance, will balanced amp input of 22k, cause bass roll off in balanced tube mode?
Thanks,
barondla
LF roll off -3dB point is about 6.6Hz, assuming 2.2uF output coupling / dc blocking output cap per phase

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #111,955 of 150,702
I found a couple over the last few weeks :
Jonas Lindberg and The Other Side - Miles From Nowhere
Kites - This Winter Machine
Yogi Lang - No Decoder
Eric Baule - Revelations Adrift

They are the albums I currently have listening to from these artists, they have more! Yogi Lang used to (still does?) do Pink Floyd cover bands as I undertand it, so this album is very Floyd inspired

On the heavier side try
Beyond The Bridge - The Old Man & The Spirit (They have only one album)
Darkwater
Circus Maximus

Enjoy (or not?) as the case may be :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #111,956 of 150,702
What are you using there for speaker cabinet dampers ?
They are (old) drafting weights, shot filled leather bags. Not sure that they do anything, really - but they look cool. :sunglasses: A friend who worked for Crocker Land Company in San Francisco gave them to me years ago. They have a lot of history, holding large-format sheets of vellum on the drafting board of one of their civil engineers...

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #111,957 of 150,702
Since this thread has been a good source for music recommendations, I wonder if there are any fans of Prog Rock here? I've been a progressive music fan for decades; YES, ELP, Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, and Kansas; I'm a big fan of them all. But, I'm not to up on as much modern Prog. I've only heard a few newer bands; I.Q., Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson), Dream Theater and Anima Mundi. I like electronic, space music, New Age and fusion too. Any other bands that I should look out for?

Thanks. :grinning:
I'm pretty much into space/new age/ambient electronic and my go-to's are:
Steve Roach​
Max Corbacho (very similar style to Roach)​
Craig Padilla​
Chuck van Zyl​
Erik Wøllo​

I can list dozens more, but that's a start. Also, a real good way to sample this type of music is to listen to Chuck's radio program Star's End on WXPN Saturday nights at 1 AM ET. Hearts of Space as well. Another radio show is Music with Space on WPRB Friday nights at 11 PM ET.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #111,958 of 150,702
And re the 86db speakers ... 86db is pretty loud, maybe more than many would listen to regularly, and louder than you might think. You get that for about 1 watt and have some headroom to spare with the Gjallarhorn.
86db is actually really loud at the listening position. A speaker that is 86db sensitive with 1 watt at 1 meter will be more than loud enough six or seven feet away.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #111,959 of 150,702
My response to this is...HUH? Negligible, right?

But, the Vidar has a 22k input impedance, so it is fine, right? (He says with absolutely no confidence)
Did not know amp was vidar, in that case 3.3Hz is -3dB point, for both stereo and monoblock (xlr balanced to vidar) use cases. Not significant.

FWIW loudspeakers have LF fall-off at -12dB/octave (2x, sealed box) or -24dB/octave (4x, ported) logarithmic rates below Fs (system resonant frequency, typically accompanied by an impedance peak in the impedance vs frequency plot)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back