Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #111,571 of 150,265
I have a pair of AV123 ELT525M speakers that have been in a closet for 10 years. These were part of an office desk setup with a class D amp (Tweak City Gizmo). Not being well versed in this topic, would a BiFrost 2/64 > Lokius > Lyr3 > GJallahorn stack drive these speakers?

Frequency Response: ± 3dB to 20 KHz with -3dB at 60Hz
Crossover Point: 2200Hz
Slope: 2nd order acoustic
Impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 83dB @ 1w/1m

Thanks

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #111,573 of 150,265
Wondered the same,

@Jason Stoddard from 2017, SchiitKit shows. Although Mike and I would love to be like Dan at MrSpeakers and be at virtually every show—no, wait, actually Mike and I are kinda boring stay-at-home dudes, so strike that, and enter the SchiitKit. Now, virtually anyone can organize a local meet and have a whole kit of Schiit sent to them to enjoy. This improves our exposure, and allows Mike and I to keep our sanity.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-13899173
I bet you we could come up with a complete set of Schiit, not necessarily every edition, but probably every model in the Tampa area. West Florida should have a big meet!

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #111,574 of 150,265
If I'm going to buy a Gj ... hey, twice as many letters as last time! ... thing then I need a Saga, yes?

But, Saga not balanced, and 'they' say that the balanced outputs of certain dacs have a better signal than the SE 'flavor' (is this just the noise resistance they say, or more than the noise resistance?).

So, would it make sense to

BiFrost > Lokius balanced in > se out to Saga > headphone amplifier, and Gjallarhorn (got it on the first try!) in the two outputs from Saga?

Is that "okay" to use Lokius out of the dac and not Saga? And is it "legit" to go from Saga into a headphone amplifier?

Finally, if I choose Saga+ for the tubiness, will the solid state passive mode provide enough power for drive Gjallarhorn effectively?

LISST! Schiit already has the answer. Thanks!

I have no idea where this system would go ... but I want it anyway.

ps: How well does Gjallarhorn do in balanced mode with 4 ohm speakers? Iirc Vidar is not recommended for that, but you can get away with it if you're willing to put up with occasional shutdowns when driven hard.

I just had an idea I need to share:

for the desktop:

Modi+ to FV to Gjallarhorn to speaker. All the sizes in one, organized carefully on the desktop!

I can see a bifrost / preamp in one box and power in Gjallarhorn ... I see all new areas for my Schiit ... you need a subwoofer out though from the dac/pre. And probably hdmi in, is that a deal killer?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #111,575 of 150,265
I’ve got friends that are either Viking fans or who went to ECU or LSU that might beg to differ, but I agree with the SOLID NO…

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #111,576 of 150,265
I've been running active speakers on my PC desktop (no critical listening), some audioengine a5+ but I have been wanted to do something a little different. This gives me an option to go with the bifrost 2/64 and asgard and replace those speakers. Just need to findsome passive desktop suitable speakers under $600 that would be a good upgrade to the A5+.
I'm using the bifrost 2/64 to my Jot 2 (as a pre-amp) to control my 10+ year old Logitech powered speakers (with subwoofer).

I'm a headphone guy for music. I'm very satisfied with my current desktop setup for sound (tv, movies).

Interesting, but I'm full pass on this product iteration.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #111,577 of 150,265
Coincidentally for the past month, I have been randomly shopping for a pair of nearfield studio monitors speakers to upgrade the JBL LSR305s which I have been using as my computer speakers for the past 5 years and then Schiit's next products turn out to be desktop speaker amps!

Does anyone have recommendations for smallish passive nearfield studio monitors that I can power with the Schiit Rekkr? Reason why I'm asking for studio monitors is because my sub is a studio sub so I probably can't pair it with non studio monitors (i think).

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #111,579 of 150,265
If I'm going to buy a Gj ... hey, twice as many letters as last time! ... thing then I need a Saga, yes?

But, Saga not balanced, and 'they' say that the balanced outputs of certain dacs have a better signal than the SE 'flavor' (is this just the noise resistance they say, or more than the noise resistance?).

BiFrost > Lokius balanced in > se out to Saga > headphone amplifier, and Gjallarhorn (got it on the first try!) in the two outputs from Saga?

Is that "okay" to use Lokius out of the dac and not Saga? And is it "legit" to go from Saga into a headphone amplifier?

Finally, if I choose Saga+ for the tubiness, will the solid state passive mode provide enough power for drive Gjallarhorn effectively?

ps: How well does Gjallarhorn do in balanced mode with 4 ohm speakers? Iirc Vidar is not recommended for that, but you can get away with it if you're willing to put up with occasional shutdowns when driven hard.

for the desktop:

Modi+ to FV to Gjallarhorn to speaker. All the sizes in one, organized carefully on the desktop!

I can see a bifrost / preamp in one box and power in Gjallarhorn ... I see all new areas for my Schiit ... you need a subwoofer out though from the dac/pre. And probably hdmi in, is that a deal killer?
I've never owned a saga/saga+ but my understanding is that since the tube is for buffer purposes, and not voltage gain, you don't get much tubiness out of it. FWIW, at least with my noval lissts, I haven't found them to be great as cathode followers in my freya n, so I almost wonder whether it would be worth using a lisst in the saga as a buffer.

I have however owned a saga s and that thing did a great job driving an amp in active mode. Might be worth giving that a try if you want to go the solid state saga route. Or maybe lyr+ with lisst [derrp, forgot lyr+ basically has lisst built in] if you're looking for tubiness 🙂

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #111,580 of 150,265
I ordered a Gallaj for my LS50 Metas to replace a SMSL A300. I'm not sure about the wattage, but I'm gonna give it a fair shot. I was about to order a Vidar but wasn't sure where I was gonna put that on my desk :).
No worries and I'm sure it will sound great.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #111,581 of 150,265
Feb 24, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #111,582 of 150,265

for the desktop:

Magnius

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #111,583 of 150,265
I'd also like to know how the GJALLARHORN sounds compared to an Aegir. I could get two for less that the Aegir but then I would need to upgrade/downgrade my Lyr 3 to get balanced outputs. At the same time, with my Zu Omen IIs one might be enough in my 11 x 11 foot room even though I do not listen near field.
I have Aegir currently driving Martin Logan Motion 20i (Bifrost 2, Lokius and Freya S), and love it. Gj arrives tomorrow, will advise.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #111,584 of 150,265
Jason, does the Schiitr stock the Texas built products? I’m going to be in SoCal in early March, and since I’ll be close…:relaxed::relaxed:
I don't believe the Schiitr has product for sale at all but maybe they carry some of the small stuff. However, if you pre order you can have it waiting at the Schittr for you to pick up. I did this with both my amps so that they wouldn't get beat up by UPS/FedEx. But then I live about 20 minutes away.
they do sell stuff, both TX and CA, best to call ahead if you want something specific…

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #111,585 of 150,265
We may need a second new shirt by then. Need to distill it down to a short, pithy saying that isn't just "we were wrong all along!"
How about: “Well, Schiit“ (am undecided about an ellipsis, bang, or interrobang)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back