Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #111,076 of 150,665
It irritates me when an RCA splitter has outputs of different colors, because it's confusing and they are just objectively mislabeled. Even though I can figure out how to connect them up properly, I still won't buy them because they're labeled wrong!
As I have added in the edit to my earlier post, they were probably intended to allow the input of a mono source into a stereo amp or other device, for example a mono microphone into a DJ’s mixer.

Edit: I do agree that colour coding them is an issue whether they are being used as splitters or combiners. The exception would be if they were sold as pairs with all three connectors on one set being red and the connectors on the other black.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #111,077 of 150,665
@Dr. Cube @NigelJ I have 2 RCA Y Splitters.
• I connected my regular RCA cables to each amp.
• Then I connect one Y Splitter each to the RCA cables coming from the amps.
• I then took the single end of the Y Splitter and connected one amp to the Red on the DAC and the other amp Y splitter end to the White on the DAC

I have 2 RCA Y Splitters that go from Red & White Female ends to a Single Male end, and then I also have 2 regular RCA cables. The DAC only has one set of RCA inputs. If you two are telling me to plug a regular RCA cable into the DAC, and then on the other end of that cable, plug 1 Y Splitter single ended side to the Red RCA end (and then the other end of the Y into both R & W on one amp) and then repeat that same process to the other amp…I would need a Y Splitter with Female on the Single end and Male on the R & W end, yes? *EDIT* I just read more replies and I am going to try that suggestion. I misunderstood initially
1676849239584.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #111,078 of 150,665
• I then took the single end of the Y Splitter and connected one amp to the Red on the DAC and the other amp Y splitter end to the White on the DAC

I have 2 RCA Y Splitters that go from Red & White Female ends to a Single Male end, and then I also have 2 regular RCA cables. The DAC only has one set of RCA inputs. If you two are telling me to plug a regular RCA cable into the DAC, and then on the other end of that cable, plug 1 Y Splitter single ended side to the Red RCA end (and then the other end of the Y into both R & W on one amp) and then repeat that same process to the other amp…I would need a Y Splitter with Female on the Single end and Male on the R & W end, yes?

Maybe a diagram would help ...
- DAC splits L & R output using a Y-split on each RCA output
- Each amp needs both L & R input (so 1 branch from each split coming off of the DAC)

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 6.34.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #111,079 of 150,665
Maybe a diagram would help ...
- DAC splits L & R output using a Y-split on each RCA output
- Each amp needs both L & R input (so 1 branch from each split coming off of the DAC)

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 6.34.26 PM.png
Does the Y Splitters having specified Red and White ends matter in doing this? It means one of the amps is going to get the White end in the Red and vice versa. Thank you! I’m a visual learner. I apologize for the confusion in all of this

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #111,080 of 150,665
Does the Y Splitters having specified Red and White ends matter in doing this? It means one of the amps is going to get the White end in the Red and vice versa. Thank you! I’m a visual learner. I apologize for the confusion in all of this
No, and the coloration on the splitters is confusing and contrary to what you're doing. When you plug one splitter into the white RCA jack, think of that entire splitter as being white. For the splitter plugged into the red RCA jack, think of that entire splitter, both ends, as being red. Then connect the outputs accordingly.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #111,081 of 150,665
Generally, using tube as buffer (saga+) will sound less tubey than in a circuit with gain (lyr+)
Interesting. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere as well, and it makes me interested in trying the Lyr+ as a preamp. I'm currently using a Saga preamp with my Aegir with good results, but a little experimentation is always fun.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #111,082 of 150,665
Nope, assume your splitter is simply taking the output signal of 1 RCA terminal and turning it into 2-RCA output signals of the same type.

Logically you could think of it as:
- The Y-split you plug into the R side as being all R (both outputs red)
- The Y-split you plug into the L side as being all L (both outputs white)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #111,083 of 150,665

I have 2 RCA Y Splitters that go from Red & White Female ends to a Single Male end, and then I also have 2 regular RCA cables. The DAC only has one set of RCA inputs. If you two are telling me to plug a regular RCA cable into the DAC, and then on the other end of that cable, plug 1 Y Splitter single ended side to the Red RCA end (and then the other end of the Y into both R & W on one amp) and then repeat that same process to the other amp…I would need a Y Splitter with Female on the Single end and Male on the R & W end, yes? *EDIT* I just read more replies and I am going to try that suggestion. I misunderstood initially
Just to be clear the splitters and cables you have are perfectly ok. mjstealey‘s diagram is correct. Note that the L & R connectors on the DAC are outputs not inputs, the will connect to the inputs on the amps.
Ignore the colours on the splitters, the colours are misleading as all three connectors see the same signal when used as a splitter.

Edit: typo corrected.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #111,084 of 150,665
@Dr. Cube @NigelJ @mjstealey thank you all for your patience. It’s all sorted and working well. Incredibly fun comparing the two amps. I’m using Dean Martin’s - “I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm” because it has clearly defined Left and Right, and instrument separation, along with his vocals dead center.

Both amps sound fantastic. (The whole setup)

I might be picking up more bass definition (or forwardness) using the MP, but that is the only thing I notice straightaway with little listening for comparison. I’m happy :)

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #111,085 of 150,665
No, and the coloration on the splitters is confusing and contrary to what you're doing. When you plug one splitter into the white RCA jack, think of that entire splitter as being white. For the splitter plugged into the red RCA jack, think of that entire splitter, both ends, as being red. Then connect the outputs accordingly.
Spray paint the whole Left splitter Y-cable white and the whole Right Y-cable splitter red :wink:

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #111,086 of 150,665
I forget: Do Aegirs as monoblocks lose the magic? Don't have room for Tyrs.

Noodling my next update as I just got some Philharmonic Audio BMR monitors. They seem like they might be efficient enough for Aegirs. On paper they are not, however.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #111,087 of 150,665
With all that talk about vinyl, 8-track, reel-to-reel, and even cassettes, I'm surprised that my personal favorite of these "legacy" formats hasn't gotten any love yet: MiniDisc!

Back in the mid-to-late-ish 90s, I owned a silver Sharp MD-MS701 — and I absolutely loved that thing to bits..."
Wow brings back memories - I had the same model - loved that thing. I would record bands that I was with at the time, and also some CD's for portable listening. I even bought a Sony MD player for my wife, so she could listen to music while running. Really cool format...

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #111,088 of 150,665
Hahaha, what were you soldering? Also cat hair is notorious for getting literally everywhere. 😂

True, cat hair gets everywhere. But unfortunately, in this particular instance the hair was still attached to the cat.

Usually, whenever I work on something smelly (like soldering, etc.), Mojito (my cat) stays away from the workbench. There are plenty of elevated spots nearby for him to perch on if he wants to supurrvise and make sure that I'm doing things correctly.

Last night, however, he apparently decided to mix things up for a change and gave me a small heart attack in the process. Out of nowhere, and with no warning, my furry little fuc&er jumped up on the workbench and pretty much face first into the 700ºF hot soldering iron I was holding. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to not make any dumb and/or sudden moves myself, so it "only" singed his mutton chops a bit. But an inch or two into a different direction and the little brainiac would have lost an eye… 🤬

Anyway…

Meet His Royal Highny, Mojito:

66766040095__6AE89468-1902-45FD-96B1-959157003352.jpeg

Good thing he's so freaking gorgeous, because at times he sure ain't the brightest porch light on the block. 🙄

And this is what I was working on:

IMG_4634.jpeg

Wayne Colburn's WHAMMY headphone amp kit.
Because why not.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #111,089 of 150,665
True, cat hair gets everywhere. But unfortunately, in this particular instance the hair was still attached to the cat.

Usually, whenever I work on something smelly (like soldering, etc.), Mojito (my cat) stays away from the workbench. There are plenty of elevated spots nearby for him to perch on if he wants to supurrvise and make sure that I'm doing things correctly.

Last night, however, he apparently decided to mix things up for a change and gave me a small heart attack in the process. Out of nowhere, and with no warning, my furry little fuc&er jumped up on the workbench and pretty much face first into the 700ºF hot soldering iron I was holding. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to not make any dumb and/or sudden moves myself, so it "only" singed his mutton chops a bit. But an inch or two into a different direction and the little brainiac would have lost an eye… 🤬

Anyway…

Meet His Royal Highny, Mojito:

Good thing he's so freaking gorgeous, because at times he sure ain't the brightest porch light on the block. 🙄

And this is what I was working on:

Wayne Colburn's WHAMMY headphone amp kit.
Because why not.
I built a Whammy a long time ago, a fun little amp.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #111,090 of 150,665
@Dr. Cube @NigelJ @mjstealey thank you all for your patience. It’s all sorted and working well. Incredibly fun comparing the two amps. I’m using Dean Martin’s - “I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm” because it has clearly defined Left and Right, and instrument separation, along with his vocals dead center.

Both amps sound fantastic. (The whole setup)

I might be picking up more bass definition (or forwardness) using the MP, but that is the only thing I notice straightaway with little listening for comparison. I’m happy :)
The Schiit Sys works great too. It’s a little more costly than 2 better quality splitters, but easier to figure out(for me). And it goes both ways. 2 inputs or 2 outputs. FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back