Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #111,061 of 150,256
Did you try making an offer or just a regular bid?
Just regular bid. There was no option to make an offer. Just BIN or bid

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #111,062 of 150,256
There used to be, a long time ago. Do an internet search for audio stores in Houston, there are a couple. One is off I-69 (Hwy 59 if you've lived in Houston more than a couple of years), near Hillcroft. They are open by appointment, if I remember correctly. Bricks and mortar stores for audio are getting hard to find.

There's at least 4 walk-in dedicated audio stores here in Calgary, as well as at least a couple that specialize in refurb hi-fi.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #111,063 of 150,256
Hey gang… I have the Lyr+ and love it especially with headphones. Currently I use it also as a pre-amp with Aegir and Triangle bookshelves. The only input is a Bifrost DAC.
Now I’m hinking of moving the Lyr+ to another room as pure headphone amp and wonder if I should get another Lyr+ to act as pre-amp, or if it maybe would make sense to have one of the Saga’s instead with the Aegir. I want that form factor and also remote…
Any experiences or thoughts from you are most welcome!

The closest I've came, is comparing my Lyr 2 with my Saga OG. The Lyr 2 is my daily headphone amp. It's great for that. But, as a speaker preamp, it fell short. Somewhat closed in, with a narrow soundstage. Good at detail, with a nice balance; just restricted in breath. The Saga is much more open and expansive. A wider and deeper soundstage. It blooms, where the Lyr 2 doesn't.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #111,064 of 150,256
Wait a second, did they show one of the new things
I'm thinking of picking up a black SL-1200 MK2 locally. It's a 1998 model with only one owner. Very good condition. I think it's priced about right at $800. Given that I should be able to talk them down to somewhere closer to $600 (hopefully). My only hold-up is the color. The trivial side of my wishes it were silver (as most of them are) to match my Schiit gear. Doh!
Pioneer in silver is about that new.

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #111,065 of 150,256
I must be doing something wrong here. I purchased 2x RCA Y Spliiters. I have Left & Right plugged into my Asgard and the single plug on the other side of the Y Splitter connected to my Modi Multibit 2 in one of the RCA spots (Red or White). I did the exact same thing with my Magni Piety. Now I’m testing with a song that I know plays some instruments on the Left and others on the Right, but this sounds like maybe I’m getting all sound from L or R to both ears, instead of both L and R to both ears. My immediate thought is this is because I have each amp just plugged into either Red or White on the MMb2, but how else am I expected to connect 2 amps using a RCA Y Splitter?
1676846090605.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #111,067 of 150,256
The closest I've came, is comparing my Lyr 2 with my Saga OG. The Lyr 2 is my daily headphone amp. It's great for that. But, as a speaker preamp, it fell short. Somewhat closed in, with a narrow soundstage. Good at detail, with a nice balance; just restricted in breath. The Saga is much more open and expansive. A wider and deeper soundstage. It blooms, where the Lyr 2 doesn't.
Have you tried moving the Lyr to a spot where it gets more sun? And fed it some Melz 1578-grade fertilizer? 🤣

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #111,068 of 150,256
I must be doing something wrong here. I purchased 2x RCA Y Spliiters. I have Left & Right plugged into my Asgard and the single plug on the other side of the Y Splitter connected to my Modi Multibit 2 in one of the RCA spots (Red or White). I did the exact same thing with my Magni Piety. Now I’m testing with a song that I know plays some instruments on the Left and others on the Right, but this sounds like maybe I’m getting all sound from L or R to both ears, instead of both L and R to both ears. My immediate thought is this is because I have each amp just plugged into either Red or White on the MMb2, but how else am I expected to connect 2 amps using a RCA Y Splitter?
The red RCA jack carries one channel only, the right channel. The white RCA jack carries only the left channel. If you put a splitter on either the red or white RCA jack, and then plug both outputs of the splitter into an amp, then yes, that amp is going to give you the one channel you selected in both its output channels.

Plug both splitters into the DAC. Plug one cable from each splitter into each amplifier, and do not plug both cables on the same splitter into the same amplifier.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #111,069 of 150,256
Noted, for when I finish with the astro-spending and can re-focus on the audio.
You will need adapters that are different than 12A*7 family. Totally worth it, IMHO.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #111,070 of 150,256
Unfortunately, your photo doesn’t show your entire splitters or cables. The combined ends of the splitters should be plugged into the left and right outlets on the DAC (this appears correct from your photo). Then you need to ignore the colours on the splitters - one of the cables from the splitter in the left socket should be plugged into the left input on your first amp and the other cable into the left input on your second amp; similarly, both cables from the splitter in the right outlet of the DAC should go to the right inputs on each amp. That is L DAC output to both L amp inputs and R DAC output to both R amp inputs. It sounds as though you are directing the left outputs to one amp and the right inputs to the other amp.

Edit: Dr. Cube was able to type faster and more concisely than me.

An additional point is that the splitters you have used were probably designed to transfer a mono source into a stereo amp or other device, hence their coloured connectors; nevertheless, they are suitable for your purpose. They do appear to be of lower quality than your other cables but as they are short this should not be an issue as long as you keep them away from power cables.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #111,071 of 150,256
I must be doing something wrong here. I purchased 2x RCA Y Spliiters. I have Left & Right plugged into my Asgard and the single plug on the other side of the Y Splitter connected to my Modi Multibit 2 in one of the RCA spots (Red or White). I did the exact same thing with my Magni Piety. Now I’m testing with a song that I know plays some instruments on the Left and others on the Right, but this sounds like maybe I’m getting all sound from L or R to both ears, instead of both L and R to both ears. My immediate thought is this is because I have each amp just plugged into either Red or White on the MMb2, but how else am I expected to connect 2 amps using a RCA Y Splitter? 1676846090605.jpeg
Y- Cable from Left channel out from Modi to Left Channel in of Asgard & Piety, Y-Cable from Right Channel out from Modi to Right Channel in of Asgard & Piety. Ignore the red/white colors of the RCA splitters. I think that you're sending the left channel output from Modi to both inputs of one amp, and the right channel output to both inputs of the other.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #111,072 of 150,256
Unfortunately, your photo doesn’t show your entire splitters or cables. The combined ends of the splitters should be plugged into the left and right outlets on the DAC (this appears correct from your photo). Then you need to ignore the colours on the splitters - one of the cables from the splitter in the left socket should be plugged into the left input on your first amp and the other cable into the left input on your second amp; similarly, both cables from the splitter in the right outlet of the DAC should go to the right inputs on each amp. That is L DAC output to both L amp inputs and R DAC output to both R amp inputs. It sounds as though you are directing the left outputs to one amp and the right inputs to the other amp.
What @NigelJ and @Dr. Cube said!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #111,073 of 150,256
Then you need to ignore the colours on the splitters
It irritates me when an RCA splitter has outputs of different colors, because it's confusing and they are just objectively mislabeled. Even though I can figure out how to connect them up properly, I still won't buy them because they're labeled wrong!

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #111,074 of 150,256
Maybe the ones you're looking at with different colors are RCA combiners. 😉

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #111,075 of 150,256
Maybe the ones you're looking at with different colors are RCA combiners. 😉
I've used 3.5 mm TRS splitters that way in rental cars to connect two smartphones, but from what I understand (which is, unfortunately, not much), this is a bad idea because the signal from each connected smartphone flows back into the output of the other one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back