Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 16, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #110,731 of 150,808
Aaaaaannnnnnddddd...TI DSPs are running!

Literally the best news of the year. True Multibit DACs are safe. We may even be able to keep Modi Multibit 2 in production, and release the Unison Multibit DAC card.

The cynical side of me expects the Analog Devices DSP deliveries to begin today.
I read today that TI is building an $11B fab in Utah(?). When I saw that my mind filled in the blank with "to meet Shiit's demand".

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #110,733 of 150,808
Aaaaaannnnnnddddd...TI DSPs are running!

Literally the best news of the year. True Multibit DACs are safe. We may even be able to keep Modi Multibit 2 in production, and release the Unison Multibit DAC card.

The cynical side of me expects the Analog Devices DSP deliveries to begin today.
Wasn't it Thomas Edison who said "the harder I work, the luckier I get"?

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #110,734 of 150,808
And another audio-nervosa is born leading to the newest niche obsession - DSP rolling. :D
If you guys start debating the relative sonic merits of TI versus AD, running the same filters...ah, yeah, maybe just buy some fuses or something.

Now, if you want to start debating the relative merits of DSP vs FPGA, running similar filters (because the FPGA can't implement at least one crazy thing we're doing), then, hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 16, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #110,735 of 150,808
If you guys start debating the relative sonic merits of TI versus AD, running the same filters...ah, yeah, maybe just buy some fuses or something...
Did Jason just hint at the possible announcement of an upcoming line of Schiit audiophile fuses!? :smirk:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #110,737 of 150,808
Based on FPGA, from what I can tell!

Hm, let's see… FPGAs and fuses…

IMG_4622.jpeg

IMG_4623.jpeg

IMG_4624.jpeg

IMG_4625.jpeg

Yep! Checks out!

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #110,738 of 150,808
Ergo the "Slide-in hardware modules and a MicroSD card slot" or "truly modular architecture, both hardware and firmware" :)
- Nevosa no more! just collect 'em all and get those late night audio sweats going as you A/B into the early morning
Late night audio sweats!

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #110,739 of 150,808
Ergo the "Slide-in hardware modules and a MicroSD card slot" or "truly modular architecture, both hardware and firmware" :)
- Nevosa no more! just collect 'em all and get those late night audio sweats going as you A/B into the early morning
Like the audio-nervosa version of Pokémon...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #110,740 of 150,808
Which AURALiC? I once owned an Aries Femto, which was mediocre on USB but good on S/PDIF with the Yggdrasil I owned then. I sold the Aries before I upgraded the Y. to A2+Unison, after which any reasonable Linux-based USB source sounded very good, with maybe a slight benefit from linear power supplies.
I have an AURALiC Aries G1 (which has been replaced with the G1.1). Before that, I had the original Aries ("mini-space-ship") design with the external power supply. When the OG Aries started behaving erratically, I contacted AURALiC and, since the OG was no longer supported, Xuanqian offered me a very fair trade-in offer. The G1 is a great machine; the biggest issue for a long time was software stability with Lightning DS. Today, I rarely have issues with the software (now in v7.7).

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #110,742 of 150,808
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #110,743 of 150,808
Here is some unrequested information. Both my SB Touch and my RPi 4B with a Digi+ HAT connected to a Yggy Lim via coax do NOT trigger the BBG light on the Yggy.
I believe Mike has rendered the 'buy better gear' light pretty much obsolete. It looks like the Yggy+ still has it included however the manual states that "you should pretty much never see this light."

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #110,744 of 150,808
Here is some unrequested information. Both my SB Touch and my RPi 4B with a Digi+ HAT connected to a Yggy Lim via coax do NOT trigger the BBG light on the Yggy.
In addition to xTripX’s reply above, I believe that it was Jason Stoddard who posted earlier in this thread that most modern USB sources, including computers, had got better than when Yggdrasil was introduced and would not light the buy-better light.

Edit: typo corrected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back