Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #109,891 of 149,331
Yes, it's both a DVD and BluRay player. We popped in a different BluRay last night and it played just fine. The only trouble has been with these particular BluRay discs. And, I agree getting a player that will handle all regions makes sense ... this was just a $100 device we bought after the Oppo 103D crapped out last year.
I have an idle 103 I'm thinking of selling. OTOH, it's probably better just to get OPPO to fix yours, they charge $95 for that.

You may be able to change the region setting on your player with a secret menu. You'd have to know what region the disc is for, which I think is part of the problem...

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #109,892 of 149,331
OMG! This post makes me SOOO GLAD I do not own a turntable....
vinyl-new-yorker.jpg

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #109,894 of 149,331
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #109,896 of 149,331
It's a myth we vinyl aficionados perpetuate in order too keep all that audio goodness to ourselves. 😛
F'real. I like how you can tailor things to your own liking and flout the "rules". Like oh I'm supposed to get the raking angle exactly to the manufacturers requirements and not use variations to change the tonality? Yeah no. Methinks I'll run it a bit tail down and get a little more low end. #rebel #loner

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #109,897 of 149,331
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #109,898 of 149,331
If we dip it into liquid nitrogen first, you won't feel a thing...
Well, that reminds me........
As a young man at sea with HMS Blake visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico, we had a young stoker turning 18. He was taken by his mates to a notorious bar and house of ill repute, the Black Angus IIRC, where a whip round was held for the booze and the, err, entertainment. As a young virgin, he was naive on all topics and received much advice on many topics of the evening and all, apparently, went well.

As in the way of service personnel, as soon as he returned on board, Beverly hung over, but happy, the fun started. "Does it hurt yet?" and other similar requests. He was on watch the following day, just him and the Chief who enquired about his big bash. The young lad confided that he was a little worried; he had been so drunk that he didn't remember much of the evening or the encounter. He also mentioned that he was concerned that he may have caught something and didn't want to be made fun of in the mess. As an aside, it was usually known when someone had copped a dose as their beer was stopped and much hilarity and p*^& taking resulted.
The Chief looked serious. "Has it started dripping or stinging yet" he asked. "No Chilef". "Son you are in luck, you've caught it early. I'll cover your watch. Go down to your mess deck, get your tea mug and half-fill it with Dettol (Lysol, I believe in the USA) and dip your old man in it for about two minutes, you'll be right as rain."
The young man did as the Chief told him and later reports stated that he made it twice around the mess without his feet touching the floor :wink:

Happy Days!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #109,899 of 149,331
A favorite western of mine is High Noon, remade as sci-fi with Sean Connery.....Outland.
Outland is one of my favourites, being a western, but in a space setting. It’s kind of refreshing with a sci-fi movie where space is the setting but the main plot doesn’t depend on it.

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #109,900 of 149,331
Space Westerns: "Firefly"

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #109,901 of 149,331
Oh gosh when I was into vinyl, just after the demise of the dinosaurs, I remember having to protect my children from flying pieces of vinyl while listening.
We used to call these turntables "snow plows" because of the vinyl wearing down the record starting at the first play. OMG...we made fun of this but there were no
real alternatives except for early FM stereo broadcasts! Ha!

Anti-static mats, DiscWashers, Polonium anti static brushes, Static ion guns!, Setting up that cartridge, anti-skate, wow, rumble, tics and pops, speed synchronization, dropping that tonearm on a record accidently and watching a speaker cone go flying across the room or startling one's wife into a heart attack!.

Buying a Phase Linear 1000 ( i think) to remove or mask the tics and pops, something called an Noise Reduction System ?
"Dynamic Range Recovery System"...Oh My! And I did buy one of these...yup I did!

1675605475201.png

Oh my do I miss all this.....oh I used to buy more than one copy of a record, just to have one that was pristine...

Those were the real good ole days!!

Big Smile here!
Enjoy the music

Alex

Attachments

• 1675605404862.png
    1675605404862.png
    899.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #109,902 of 149,331
I wonder, is the $ 450 item going to be valhalla 3 or a desktop speaker amp?
I would love for it to be a Valhalla 3, or rather, a Folkvangr Mini in a Lyr3/+ kind of chassis. Two 6N1P input tubes (like both Valhalla and Folkvangr), and four 6N6P output tubes (unlike Valhalla’s two and Folkvangr’s eight). Of course complete with a scaled down version of the Folkvangr’s tube tray :)

But, alas, I don’t think something like that could make the $450 price tag. More likely $900 or thereabouts, but it doesn’t matter, I would buy in an instant, I don’t care if I need it nor not!

@Jason Stoddard, pretty please, with tubes on top?

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #109,903 of 149,331
OMG! This post makes me SOOO GLAD I do not own a turntable....
Or you could do as I do: Buy that which you think is the best looking 'table(s) to your eyes and then buy and play the music you enjoy the most with occasional new offerings from recommendations given by friends like those here. Also, do not fixate over things which you truly cannot hear and make absolutely no sense from a objective view and worse still will have those that know you think you have lost your mind, LOL! Note that I said "FIXATE".

Pay no attention to frAudiophiles such as Michael Fremer or Michael Lavorgna (to name butt two), because they are the poster idiots for "Misery enjoys Company". I cancelled my favorite magazine The Absolute Sound because they brought Fremer on board and I have met and corresponded with the EIC who is a great guy but I told him that Fremer is a canard spewing goofball (or something like that, LOL!). If you think differently, fine. But all one need do is read the dross those two OCD maroons put out to know that they are in it to feed their coffers and ego.

Listen to records when the mood/desire strikes you. We all have a soundtrack to our lives and I can enjoy it equally on vinyl, CD, AM/FM (albeit rarely!) and via my internet tuners. I do not sit there straining to hear a gnat alight on conductor's baton. I listen to the music which fills my heart and soul and mines the depths of my memory to remind me that I had and still have a life worth celebrating with family and friends.

And listen to the music, not the equipment. To be sure, look at your stuff and revel in its beauty. And most importantly...Never forget that it is called "vinyl" NOT "whinyl".

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #109,905 of 149,331
Outland is one of my favourites, being a western, but in a space setting. It’s kind of refreshing with a sci-fi movie where space is the setting but the main plot doesn’t depend on it.
I once read there are only X number of movie plots. Dances with Wolves, Avatar, and Little Big Man all share the same theme. A person who ends up living in a different society and ends up seeing things through other eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back