Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #109,921 of 151,135
Yes, and many of Kurosawa's films / ideas were lifted by Lucas for his Star Wars stories. R2D2 and 3 CPO are two characters lifted from the Hidden Fortress.
Sanjuro (or Yojimbo, can't remember which, maybe both) were made into spaghetti westerns like a "For a few dollars more"and "Fist full of dollars".
Just saw a film recently that reads like Rashomon. "Ran" is a take on King Lear. "Throne of Blood" is Macbeth.
And on and on.
Yojimbo became Fistful of Dollars. I watched it recently and was blown away at how much Leone “borrowed” from Kurosawa. He basically stole the whole story and remade it as a western

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #109,922 of 151,135
Agree 100%. Perhaps the Stimpy One can comment, but I suspect those pressing machines are flying along. They probably make product changes all the time - and no way to eject the first disc after a change to verify it's correct ... so only QA will prevent these mistakes, not QC. The systems have to be robust enough to handle the speed of the process. We were always pushed to raise the speed of our lines - a dangerous proposition if not done right.

Presses are kept running as much as possible 24/7. One order finished, the next order goes on. And part of the issue, it's a long continuous line of equipment feeding into each other. Presses, metallization, lacquer, and printing all running together, on an assembly line. Plus, it all happens very fast. The press has a cycle time of about 13 seconds, so discs spit out quickly. Downstream operators have to keep a close eye on the discs, and notice changes in catalog numbers. If the operators aren't observant, discs can easily be mixed together.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #109,923 of 151,135
In conjunction with @Paladin79's chart of video recording / playback it's interesting to see how it doesn't match Region Coding, making for, potentially, a real crap-shoot of "will it play".

Attachments

• VIDEO STANDARDS and CODES WORLDWIDE.docx
    685.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #109,925 of 151,135
The Amazon return process was interesting. They gave me the codes right away and I chose to drop off at Kohl's. Annette took 'em over, the lady scanned the return codes and threw the DVDs into a huge box containing nothing but returns going to Amazon. There were five such boxes being filled at the same time. QC be damned ... sales full steam ahead!

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #109,926 of 151,135
Yojimbo became Fistful of Dollars. I watched it recently and was blown away at how much Leone “borrowed” from Kurosawa. He basically stole the whole story and remade it as a western
For "The Seven Samurai" it is well known amongst those that are not well known, that Kurosawa himself (!) borrowed from and paid cinematic homage to the story of...*GASP* "Snow White and the seven Dwarfs". :beerchug:

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #109,927 of 151,135
I can still see at each stop sign, several 8 track tape carcass's thrown out because the got wrapped around a capstan!! 8 track and cassettes!!
Oh my...at least you could see what people were buying for music just by stopping and examining the discarded stuff! LOL!

Fun times at Ridgemont High!! (pun intended)..
Q-tips and rubbing alcohol were always close by for routine maintenance of the cassette deck. I loved that deck, I think it was a TEAC, it had some of the first digital VU meters I had seen. Space Age!

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #109,929 of 151,135
Agree 100%. Perhaps the Stimpy One can comment, but I suspect those pressing machines are flying along. They probably make product changes all the time - and no way to eject the first disc after a change to verify it's correct ... so only QA will prevent these mistakes, not QC. The systems have to be robust enough to handle the speed of the process. We were always pushed to raise the speed of our lines - a dangerous proposition if not done right.
QA =/= QC, had that ingrained at work. And mixed product was a cardinal sin at work, seems to be a different world in commercial retail. At least those arguments don't approach fist fights like verification versus calibration of load cells for ISO/IATF audits. Those get ugly.

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #109,930 of 151,135
I was in high school in the early eighties, radio sucked even then (at least where I lived), so the challenge was to get decent tunes in the car. 8 track was still around but. Of course was terrible from an SQ perspective.
That meant cassette was the only viable option but the ones from the record labels were awful. So what to do?
I would buy the best BASF blank tapes and record on them from the LP. I would buy the album and listen to it once to see if any songs were so bad they had to be skipped. Then I wrote out the times of the keepers to figure out how many songs I could get one one side of the tape (most were 30 min per side, the 90 minute tapes of the day were prone to breakage). Then I would record the tape using slightly boosted levels to get all of the SPL I could.
Even if I waited a week the cracks and pops would appear and make it onto the tape.
Did exactly the same thing, but with TDK cassettes as my preferred medium.
I was a crazy person to my friends (and my mum) at the time, with the system I put in my 12 yo car. Clarion deck that needed some dashboard renovations to fit (no real standards for a 1973 car), Realistic (Radio shack) poweramp bolted under the glove compartment (100w from memory), 5 band EQ, 3 way pioneer speakers in the rear shelf, and 2 ways in the doors.

To my eternal regret I sold all my LPs when I replaced them with CDs. Most had been played but once, as the cassette was always used.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #109,931 of 151,135
Did exactly the same thing, but with TDK cassettes as my preferred medium.
I was a crazy person to my friends (and my mum) at the time, with the system I put in my 12 yo car. Clarion deck that needed some dashboard renovations to fit (no real standards for a 1973 car), Realistic (Radio shack) poweramp bolted under the glove compartment (100w from memory), 5 band EQ, 3 way pioneer speakers in the rear shelf, and 2 ways in the doors.

To my eternal regret I sold all my LPs when I replaced them with CDs. Most had been played but once, as the cassette was always used.
I did the same thing starting around 1973, not entire lps, but mix tapes from multiple lps. They are still burned in my mind, when I hear Almost Cut My Hear I always expect to hear This Ol' Cowboy next, etc; The lps are in safe keeping with one of my sons, he still tries to pull a random one each week and listen to it. I still have those cassettes, and about 200 plus commercial cassettes from the late 70s thru the early 90s in boxes here.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #109,932 of 151,135
I can contribute to our stroll down (pre-digital) memory lane!
- Pioneer SuperTuner cassette deck driving Jensen 6x9 Triaxials. I remember being in the back seat hearing the studio version of And You And I after having heard the Yessongs version many, many times. Rapturous!
- Trips to Telegraph Ave. to Rasputin's and Leopold's (Amoeba wasn't there yet) for used record shopping. For $1 I could buy a record simply because it had a familiar player or two on it.
- Nak 480 cassette deck. TDK SA and Maxell XLII 90s with an album on each side.
- Observing the change in the weight and thickness of LPs. No idea the number of grams, but it was obvious Atlantic records was skimping on the vinyl content as I bought successive copies of Fragile, trying to get that first play to actually sound clean. Can't say if the change correlated with the first OPEC oil embargo, but it seems close.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #109,933 of 151,135
I was in high school in the early eighties, radio sucked even then (at least where I lived), so the challenge was to get decent tunes in the car. 8 track was still around but. Of course was terrible from an SQ perspective.
That meant cassette was the only viable option but the ones from the record labels were awful. So what to do?
I would buy the best BASF blank tapes and record on them from the LP. I would buy the album and listen to it once to see if any songs were so bad they had to be skipped. Then I wrote out the times of the keepers to figure out how many songs I could get one one side of the tape (most were 30 min per side, the 90 minute tapes of the day were prone to breakage). Then I would record the tape using slightly boosted levels to get all of the SPL I could.
Even if I waited a week the cracks and pops would appear and make it onto the tape.

My go-to cassette was Maxell XL-IIS C90. I had an original Walkman and it was much gentler on tape than automotive units. Oddly enough, the receiver that I used 40 years ago because of its tape monitor path is still in use as my phono preamp. The tape monitor output now splits to my integrated amp and a Jil. I keep thinking a Mani should replace that old Onkyo.

Dubbing to tape was far easier. Digital rips of one massive WAV file have to be split into separate tracks, named, saved as FLAC, then suitable metadata information added.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #109,934 of 151,135
The Amazon return process was interesting. They gave me the codes right away and I chose to drop off at Kohl's. Annette took 'em over, the lady scanned the return codes and threw the DVDs into a huge box containing nothing but returns going to Amazon. There were five such boxes being filled at the same time.
It's even more interesting what happens afterwards. Returned items that Amazon can't or won't resell are handled by liquidators who resell returned items by the pallet.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #109,935 of 151,135
They are still burned in my mind, when I hear Almost Cut My Hear I always expect to hear This Ol' Cowboy next, etc;

Not sure if I already mentioned this, but I recently was able to get my Dad's Dual 701 direct drive TT out of storage (it'd been there for 30+ years) and after a few fixes for some dried out caps works very well. Cartridge is the OG Shure V15 mk.III so grabbed a Mani 2 for the pre-amp.

I've now bought some new albums, starting with the first 7 Queen albums that I loved back in the day. (2015 re-issue on 180G vinyl). Won't be replacing my whole collection at the current prices, but's it's nostalgic and emotional listening to them like I did back in the day. Surprising how much I remember of the subtle things like timing of the tracks. I could still "hit" the first note of a song based on the timing of the gap etc.

Have also re-jigged the system to listen to vinyl on my headphones, so my Magni 3 now feeds from the Freya+. Max out the Mani volume and use the Freya+ to drive it like a little power amp for my phones. I get the benefit of tube or S/S & remote volume too for my 'phones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back