Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #109,381 of 150,446
Psvane (pa-van) They are works of art.
EL-34 PH Matched Sextet originally purchased for RAAL VM-1a. And 6SN7 T ll Matched Pair. For reasons previously mentioned I'm leaving the hobby.
1675115990704.png 1675116205627.png
PM me if you get a chance, :ksc75smile:

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #109,382 of 150,446
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #109,383 of 150,446
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #109,385 of 150,446
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #109,386 of 150,446
Another totally off topic question for all you schiitheads :upside_down: A recent "mad science" projects out of the warped minds of myself and wife consists of a diy truck camper to fit our dodge dakota. Enjoying weekends out on forest service roads, the coast etc.

Looking for a small bluetooth speaker, USB-C rechargeable - not needing earth shaking volume, good balance preferred ....
Very cool indeed!!!
JBL pulse is a great little bluetooth speaker. New model has lot of cool lighting effects
I was looking for an upgrade on an Infinity I have and in parenthesis they say JBL. :ksc75smile:

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #109,388 of 150,446
If anybody wants some foundational knowledge that helps to understand interpolation filters like Schiit's Megacomboburrito filter, I found this guy's videos really helpful. You just need a bit of maths background, but the nice thing about these videos is you don't need to have learned differential equations (I never got that far in calc), because with FIR filters you're dealing w difference equations, which are easier to understand.

Based on Mike & Jason's posts, I believe Megacomboburrito uses a FIR filter, with 10's of thousands of coefficients, or "taps". As somebody mentioned (can't recall who that was. Oh well...), a typical way to go about making an interpolation filter is to add zeros between the original samples as the first step. Then a FIR filter can essentially transform them into non-zero values, through successive delays and multiply-accumulate operations using the chosen coefficients. I wouldn't be surprised if Schiit was using a technique other than this "zero stuffing", but there's no way to know for sure about that at this point, unless I've missed some of their posts. This guy's videos step through the process of implementing a FIR lowpass filter:

It seems that part of, if not most of the secret sauce in the MCB filter is in how the FIR filter coefficients were chosen. You can use something like matlab to generate filter coefficients for you but you'll end up with a filter that probably sounds nowhere near as good as MCB. Mike et al came up with their own way to generate the coefficients they needed for bit perfect interpolation, optimized in both the time and frequency domains. And they've programmed sharc DSP chips, presumably mostly to run the multiply-accumulate operations to implement the FIR filter with its many taps, though there may he more to it than that when it comes to what the sharc chip is doing.

I'll work on the architecture for MCB-II after dinner tonight. I'll post the results in the morning.

not

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #109,390 of 150,446
Another totally off topic question for all you schiitheads :upside_down: A recent "mad science" projects out of the warped minds of myself and wife consists of a diy truck camper to fit our dodge dakota. Enjoying weekends out on forest service roads, the coast etc.

IMG_4028.jpg IMG_3318.jpg IMG_4439.jpg
Looking for a small bluetooth speaker, USB-C rechargeable - not needing earth shaking volume, good balance preferred ....
UE Boom has worked for us for 5 years

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #109,391 of 150,446
I thought the recommendation was for a 7% solution. 70% might be lethal? @KoshNaranek can you help?
If I understand the question correctly, you are asking the toxicity of 70% or 140 proof alcohol. Taken straight in small quantities it should not kill but very high alcohol concentrations taken repeatedly can lead to Barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer.

If the question was tongue in cheek then I apologize for being such a straight man.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #109,392 of 150,446
Jan 30, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #109,394 of 150,446
To any interested party: The Psvane EL-34's were purchased direct from China, the rest of the Psvane's from Grant Fidelity in Canada.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #109,395 of 150,446
Another totally off topic question for all you schiitheads :upside_down: A recent "mad science" project out of the warped minds of myself and wife consists of a diy truck camper to fit our dodge dakota. Enjoying weekends out on forest service roads, the coast etc.

IMG_4028.jpg IMG_3318.jpg IMG_4439.jpg
Reminded me of Tyll Hertsens from the InnerFidelity website, who was well known and influential in the audiophile headphone community when he gave it up to go on the road. He was featured in this video recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back