Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 28, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #109,261 of 150,469
I had two scrambled for breakfast. Feel like a rich man

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #109,264 of 150,469
I am in that boat. Got distracted with obsessive reading on high-end telescope mounts and associated doo-dads and started this morning over 230 posts behind!
No worries. Schiitheads, like the stars, will be here when you're ready. What mount?

I melted a cable when it touched a hot tube. I also had some leftover striped maple. So I made these cable management devices. My wife approves of the tidier look. But if anyone is wondering they did not change the sound even one bit. To change the sound you need striped maple from the shady side of the mountain, and the little plastic gizmos need to be carbon-impregnated. Unless you prefer boron-impregnated. On the left of the photo is a Schiit stack and on the right is an ancient Magnavox tube amp.
I read somewhere the boron-impregnated cable stands sound a bit brighter, a bit "metallic". Yes, I see what I did there.

When Cookie wakes up she'll be hungry, so this is the most efficient place to sleep. 🤣

Cookie 3.jpg
Our fat, stupid cat (as opposed to our skinny sort-of-smart cat) often sleeps like that. He's a complete sweet heart, just copies off the Scarecrow's test papers.

There's a long-running thread on the astronomy forum I frequent called "What Did You Work On Today". Kind of like @Paladin79's posts. My audio-related "what did you work on today" is:
20230127_201203.jpg
My initial attempt to replace the surrounds (so thoroughly dry rotted they had disappeared in a small pile of dust and fragments) failed. Finding a suitable drop-in replacement didn't pan out, either. So I made these "sub-baffles" to mount these smaller-than-OEM drivers to. Having speakers in the garage again made today's astronomy projects more enjoyable. Coincidentally "La Villa Strangiato" was on my DAP...

These new drivers are more "bass suggested" than bass shy. Of course, they're only 5-1/4". Using the bass tone control on my Cambridge integrated adds a bit; makes them Plucky Little Aspens. However, too much bass boost turns them into Flatulent Elms of West Riseland.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #109,267 of 150,469
Jan 28, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #109,268 of 150,469
I really appreciate the sense of community that has developed in this thread.
Agreed. I really like this thread and those here …. I just can’t keep up with it!! If I were to comment on most things I care to…it would be 6-10 pages late already. 😆 Maybe when I retire (if that ever happens) 😁
But yes, seems like there’s some good people here.

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #109,270 of 150,469
Agreed. I really like this thread and those here …. I just can’t keep up with it!! If I were to comment on most things I care to…it would be 6-10 pages late already. 😆 Maybe when I retire (if that ever happens) 😁
But yes, seems like there’s some good people here.
But then all your time will be consumed by naps. Just ask @Paladin79 . 🤣 🤣

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #109,271 of 150,469
Re: Eggs...I've had to give up expensive whisky in order to keep eggs in stock.

I have a family of five, eggs are still a relatively cheap protein full of good fats, vitamins and minerals, when compared to beef at least.

I'll keep cutting out other expenses before I give them up.

Luckily I like Ancient Age way more then say Basil Haydens

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #109,274 of 150,469
Re: Eggs...I've had to give up expensive whisky in order to keep eggs in stock.

I have a family of five, eggs are still a relatively cheap protein full of good fats, vitamins and minerals, when compared to beef at least.

I'll keep cutting out other expenses before I give them up.

Luckily I like Ancient Age way more then say Basil Haydens
I should probably be reaching out to my neighbor for free-range eggs, their chickens wander into my yard anyways. Haven't thought about dipping into owning chickens yet (got multiple acres for them, travel too while the site is under construction).

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #109,275 of 150,469
But then all your time will be consumed by naps. Just ask @Paladin79 . 🤣 🤣
I solved the nap issue by sleeping 10 hours a night, or more.😀 I think I need to wake before 9:00 AM in February but I am working on that. No sense getting up if I don’t have to.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back