Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 28, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #109,201 of 155,168
Jan 28, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #109,206 of 155,168
I practiced with lesser expensive hardwoods lol, I have no patience when I make errors so my wood stove generally gets my grade B stock. I make one of a kind pieces for myself and for my small circle of friends. I rarely turn down a request so if you have a specific purpose in mind maybe I can gift you something.
I really appreciate the sense of community that has developed in this thread.

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #109,208 of 155,168
Do any of you guys use a universal remote for your Schiit? Any recommendations?
I'm using the Logitech Harmony 665. I like how it feels when I hold it or use its buttons, and that it's quite flexible. For instance I could program a "sequence" for it so that it switches both outputs of a TOSLINK 4x2 matrix switch with one button press, requiring two button presses with the original remote.
Learning doesn't always work perfectly, I needed to contact Logitech's support to be able to change the Ragnarok 2's volume by holding down the respective volume button. Their support is responsive and can change what you have in your account, which you can then sync to your remote with a computer and a micro USB cable, but it took multiple attempts for them to fix it and I can't do it myself when it happens again, which bugs me. Easy to forget once you programmed it successfully, of course.
What can be annoying in use is the forced delay when applying multiple button presses, the settings that sound like they should reduce the delay don't work. So if you want to skip four inputs (to go from 2 to 1, say) you can quickly press whatever button you assigned to next input (tap tap tap tap), but then you have to keep pointing the remote at the target device and wait for it to transmit the IR signals (click......click......click......click go the relays).

Sadly you need proprietary, somewhat clunky software and an active internet connection to program it. That works by Logitech building a whole firmware image with your settings on their servers, which then gets downloaded and flashed onto your remote for every change, which is a slow process as a result that will break if Logitech shuts those servers down.

The Inteset INT422-4 in contrast requires using codes on the remote itself to program it, so will still be fully functional if the company goes bust. But I don't like how it feels, so I can't fully recommend it either.

Unlike the Harmony 665 it also doesn't have a display, which can be handy for rarely used functions instead of memorizing which of the many buttons you randomly assigned to them months ago.

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #109,209 of 155,168
I'm using the Logitech Harmony 665. I like how it feels when I hold it or use its buttons, and that it's quite flexible.
So what is available today remote wise that's like a Harmony? I have being using Harmony's FOREVER as in before Lofitech bought them, the the point of always buying 4 ina 3 TV house so I had the same remote everywhere and a backup to rotate into the rotation to maximize shelf life. And they are all GONE with my house fire.

Harmony is kinda like Tivo, best product that eventually folds. So sad!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #109,210 of 155,168
I think I found ORT's house...
326590418_894316791808053_214323715177752231_n.jpg

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #109,211 of 155,168
I'm strapping in for the ride! (Exclaimed the old-guy newbie teetering on the edge of the audiophile rabbit hole)
Welcome! It's a fun ride, and this is an excellent thread with some additional scenery to enjoy along the way. 🤣

(exclaimed the old-guy in a rabbit hole so deep that even light can no longer escape)

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #109,212 of 155,168
I’m still amazed at all the music that I’ve missed along the way but really enjoy running into it eventually. Discovered this on Qobuz (how have I never heard of them?). Sounds like a really good vinyl recording on all my headphones and 2 channel.
https://open.qobuz.com/track/190922302
I found them on Apple's Jam Band playlist 3-4 months ago. There is a LOT of great music out there that doesn't bubble up to the mainstream. AM and FM radio became dead to me almost 2 decades ago with their algorithm-driven programming and every song sounding much like the other.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #109,214 of 155,168
I really appreciate the sense of community that has developed in this thread.
Most everyone gets along. :ksc75smile: I try to treat others with respect and help where I can, I am saving up cardboard for @bcowen as we speak.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #109,215 of 155,168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back