Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #106,128 of 150,675
My opinion, but I think it takes the right combo of gear, time, your own ears/brain, and then more time, to be able to pull out sound differences and profiles with ease.

I am finding a lot of differences these days when rolling dacs and HPs.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to have Rag 2 and the new PS Audio integrated in house for an extended comparison..In many cases I struggled to tell a difference. And then I took ten thousand words to try and talk about it..... It would be fun to try that again today and see what I think this time around.

Jason has said many times that
magni/modi are all the dac/amp most people will ever need. He's right.

I wouldn't say your ears are broken.

It also matters what kind of music you listen too, how you listen, and what your brain focuses on. Do you pay attention to width, depth, height? Image, voice placement? Layering? Tone, texture, richness, detail, detail?

Depends on what you like about music, and what draws you in.

I was listening to Money for Nothing by Dire Straits last night. HE6se, Rag 2, Yggy OG. First time with that track and that pairing. All of a sudden I picked up the electric bass in a way I had never noticed before and followed it all the way through the track. It was crazy to me, how detailed but subdued that instrument was, I've probably listened to that track 1000 times in my life, with various combos of gear, and had never pulled that bass line out before.. It was like the matrix had inserted new info to old music.

We all hear differently and I think that how we hear, changes by the day/week/year.
Hence, placebo.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #106,130 of 150,675
I never had any amps going into a protection mode, which is a bit concerning to hear about the old Vidar going into protection. I don't have a Magnepan, and I don't listen very loud. But, my speakers can dip around 3 ohm. I suppose for me an amp which can bridge mono to increase power by 4x at 8ohm at the expense of being unstable at 4 ohm is pointless.
Maggie’s do dip under 4 as well. The Vidars served me well for a few years as long as I wasn’t trying to make rock concert levels.
The Tyr is definitely a step up in 4 Ohm power. They drive the 1.7i effortlessly to any level my ears and the speakers can handle.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #106,131 of 150,675
Hence, placebo.
Wrong forum. Sound science is for you. Better back up your claims with data though if you want a productive discussion.

You have your answer. Get a modi/magni and be happy to know all of us placebo ingesting users spent way more.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #106,135 of 150,675
I think it will be called URD and will include a CD drive. Or is that the EITR replacement? :D
Sounds great. Too bad Urd will be somewhat more than the B-Stock Wyrd I bought for $45. :smile_phones:

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #106,137 of 150,675
I've never had a garbled sound problem. I would have returned it years ago.
I've experienced it multiple times with my Modi Multibit OG. Seemed to happen more with coax than USB. A quick power cycle and all was good for a while until the next time. It was not frequent enough to be a huge bother. (I listen to albums mostly and at that time they were ripped CDs form my library at 44.1/16)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #106,139 of 150,675
I've never had a garbled sound problem. I would have returned it years ago.
I believe that it happens with a lot of DAC's when streaming and the digital format changes from one track to the next one being played. I have observed it on my iFi DAC. This is usually from a playlist with different formats, rather than an album where all the tracks are the same digital format. Also, I believe that one has to be playing "better-than-CD" quality for it to happen.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #106,140 of 150,675
I believe that it happens with a lot of DAC's when streaming and the digital format changes from one track to the next one being played. I have observed it on my iFi DAC. This is usually from a playlist with different formats, rather than an album where all the tracks are the same digital format. Also, I believe that one has to be playing "better-than-CD" quality for it to happen.
Oh, OK. I'm luddite CD spinner. Thanks for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back