Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #105,706 of 150,829
My user experience with mono Vidars driving hard to drive speakers has been very positive. I've had Magnepan LRSs for over 2-1/2 years and have only experienced one protection occasion on one channel. This was early-on when "trying to see what the system can do" which is way louder than typical listening. It also drives the KEF LS50 Metas great and those have a dip in the curve and are known to be difficult to drive well. I think this system is optimized by pairing the Vidars with the Freya S which I use in the Nexus 4X gain mode. I love the way this preamp compliments the sound of the Vidar OGs. Cheers
++1 - I'm running my Freya-S at Nexus-1 into Vidar Mono's driving Apogee Duetta Sigs, couldn't be happier. The Apogees are NOT efficient; the Vidar's get hot when listening at louder levels, i've only run them into protection once.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #105,708 of 150,829
Mjolnir 3, when it hits, will be accompanied by something like the "15 Magnis" chapter. It took a long time for me to come up with something we liked. We tried a bunch of approaches, including Nexus/Continuity/Programmable OPS, tube hybrid, all-solid-state-tech-forward, etc...and ended up with something that's a bit of a left turn. It's closest to the Freya+ buffer stage topologically, but with some Mjolnir 1 DNA, and with a bunch of things we've never done before: true dual mono, choke-input, discrete-regulated supplies, ultra HV front end, real Class A with switchable SE or push-pull operation, switchable no overall feedback, switchable gain.

It's still huge for a desktop amp, it's extremely heavy with 4 48VA core transformers/chokes inside, and it puts out an insane amount of heat. This is real, no-fooling Class A, like the original Asgard, not high-bias Class AB or Continuity. It won't be for everyone. And it's still many months out. Maybe summer. We'll see.
Great summer heat is coming!
Asgard 1...

OMG, I had one and it was INDEED hot!

Here we go again...I will take one please!

:>)

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #105,709 of 150,829
And now for something else:
Considering all the 15 or more pieces of Schiit I've owned since May 2016 not one piece has ever failed on me.
That being said there is one minor thing that always "bugged" me.
No, not the power switch on the back, and no, not the lack of a sundial imprint on rotated knobs to allow accurate repeat settings on continuous rotation types.
It's those damnable lazer lights to let you know the equipment is on (excepting the JOT R which had none for some reason).
At one point I started using light dims bought from Amazon. They worked great and come off clean in the event you want to sell the piece and come in several shades of silver and black to match from translucent to opaque.
They were just the ticket when I moved my Lokius (and JOT R) to shelves under my TV stand. I have 2 other pieces in the stand that have standby lights on them but they are dim enough whether the pieces are on or off they don't draw my attention to them. My HSA-1B has a large round red/orange light for on, and even on it was not as noticeable as the blue white starlight Schiit's LEDs emit. In a completely darkened room except for my Schiit pieces those LEDs are all I needed to get up and walk around whether it was my upstairs or downstairs rig.
Minor thing for sure. And while a dimmer knob of some sort, front or back, would entail more cost, there's got to be a way to use a lower intensity LED, right?.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #105,710 of 150,829
Mjolnir 3, when it hits, will be accompanied by something like the "15 Magnis" chapter. It took a long time for me to come up with something we liked. We tried a bunch of approaches, including Nexus/Continuity/Programmable OPS, tube hybrid, all-solid-state-tech-forward, etc...and ended up with something that's a bit of a left turn. It's closest to the Freya+ buffer stage topologically, but with some Mjolnir 1 DNA, and with a bunch of things we've never done before: true dual mono, choke-input, discrete-regulated supplies, ultra HV front end, real Class A with switchable SE or push-pull operation, switchable no overall feedback, switchable gain.

It's still huge for a desktop amp, it's extremely heavy with 4 48VA core transformers/chokes inside, and it puts out an insane amount of heat. This is real, no-fooling Class A, like the original Asgard, not high-bias Class AB or Continuity. It won't be for everyone. And it's still many months out. Maybe summer. We'll see.
This sounds like an instant-buy for me.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #105,713 of 150,829
There is not only the cost of the VU meters, but also the cost of adding a switch to turn them on/off and/or dim the lights. Even if it would be interesting to occasionally see VU meters in action, there is no way I would want them on all the time.
They are easy enough to incorporate into a separate cabinet if anyone wants them, there are also existing products out there that are reasonably inexpensive. I personally use them for more than looks but I do like the appearance as well. :ksc75smile:

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #105,714 of 150,829
VU meters would drive up the costs, with little added benefit (except aesthetic appeal for a minority of cusomters) - which seems to be counter to Schiit’s goals. There are other companies that cater to that shtick, if that‘s a person’s priority.
I never dated someone I thought was unattractive... to me. Schtick, eh? That is Yiddsh for clowning around. So then, making something more aesthetic is now buffoonery? Nice schtick.

And yes I am well aware that beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I don't drink beer.:beerchug:

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #105,715 of 150,829
@Jason Stoddard any chance of a balanced A2D in the future?
Obviously I am not Jason; however, I think it is unlikely as Jil was not sufficiently popular to remain in production and a more expensive unit would likely not have more success. Jason has also stated that Schiit do not have a good knowledge of, or market exposure in, professional audio which would likely be the main market for a more capable ADC.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #105,716 of 150,829
And now for something else:
Considering all the 15 or more pieces of Schiit I've owned since May 2016 not one piece has ever failed on me.
That being said there is one minor thing that always "bugged" me.
No, not the power switch on the back, and no, not the lack of a sundial imprint on rotated knobs to allow accurate repeat settings on continuous rotation types.
It's those damnable lazer lights to let you know the equipment is on (excepting the JOT R which had none for some reason).
At one point I started using light dims bought from Amazon. They worked great and come off clean in the event you want to sell the piece and come in several shades of silver and black to match from translucent to opaque.
They were just the ticket when I moved my Lokius (and JOT R) to shelves under my TV stand. I have 2 other pieces in the stand that have standby lights on them but they are dim enough whether the pieces are on or off they don't draw my attention to them. My HSA-1B has a large round red/orange light for on, and even on it was not as noticeable as the blue white starlight Schiit's LEDs emit. In a completely darkened room except for my Schiit pieces those LEDs are all I needed to get up and walk around whether it was my upstairs or downstairs rig.
Minor thing for sure. And while a dimmer knob of some sort, front or back, would entail more cost, there's got to be a way to use a lower intensity LED, right?.
I recall reading a JS post from years ago that indicated the lower power LEDs were too expensive, same for adjustable ones. They were changing the light tubes on whatever product was for sale at the time to lower the intensity.
It doesn’t look very professional but a strategic placed sticker could solve the problem.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #105,717 of 150,829
Dec 15, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #105,718 of 150,829
They are easy enough to incorporate into a separate cabinet if anyone wants them, there are also existing products out there that are reasonably inexpensive. I personally use them for more than looks but I do like the appearance as well. :ksc75smile:
What products are you thinking of? I know of one thing but it would be good to know what you know (in this small way)

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #105,719 of 150,829
My user experience with mono Vidars driving hard to drive speakers has been very positive. I've had Magnepan LRSs for over 2-1/2 years and have only experienced one protection occasion on one channel. This was early-on when "trying to see what the system can do" which is way louder than typical listening. It also drives the KEF LS50 Metas great and those have a dip in the curve and are known to be difficult to drive well. I think this system is optimized by pairing the Vidars with the Freya S which I use in the Nexus 4X gain mode. I love the way this preamp compliments the sound of the Vidar OGs. Cheers
Agreed, 100%. I drove my B&W 804 D3 speakers for over a year with a pair of monoblock OG Vidars, first using an OG Freya (with LISST), then with a Benchmark LA4 line preamp. The B&Ws dip below 3 ohms in the mid-bass region, and I never engaged the protection circuitry, even when pushing them really hard (ha! yes, not normal listening at all, but "friends-are-over-and-we-are-drinking-so-show-us-what-it-can-do" mode).

It was a great combo. The Tyrs have better "grip" in the low end with these speakers, all things considered. But most importantly, my brother-in-law loves his OG Freya and OG Vidar monoblocks. :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #105,720 of 150,829
I recall reading a JS post from years ago that indicated the lower power LEDs were too expensive, same for adjustable ones. They were changing the light tubes on whatever product was for sale at the time to lower the intensity.
It doesn’t look very professional but a strategic placed sticker could solve the problem.
Unless they are using those LEDs to monitor voltage levels in addition to a visual indicator, seems pretty simple to change whatever current limiting resistor they're already using to a larger value to dim them even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back