Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 17, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #103,156 of 148,981
Magni+. But that's me. And I may be crazy.

Cerakote is...really finicky. Everything has to be sandblasted and 100% free from any kind of oil, then it has to be baked at exactly the right temperature, and the baking has an effect on both surface finish and durability. Maybe it could be dialed in if we had the time and inclination, but it's not confidence-inspiring for a high-volume, high-value product. That's why we didn't go with it.

Old look, anodized aluminum and black powder for Modi Multibit 2. This was supposed to be a March product.
There is a fine line between crazy and genius. So long as you neither cross that line or snort it, you will be fine sir. For the record? The company you and Mike have built and the folks that work both for and with you confirm the latter of the two. Well done, indeed.:beerchug:

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #103,158 of 148,981
Since having seen an RMAF presentation by an ESS guy talking about how they found and fixed what audiophiles disliked about delta sigma DACs*, I've been curious to try a well designed ESS DAC again.

Any plans to make a kick ass ESS DAC with a flagship chip of theirs (ES9039PRO, say), the best power supply and output stage you can manage, etc.? An Yggdrasil+ ES or new non multibit Gungnir?

I know you're also working on your own delta sigma DAC, maybe that's a conflicting investment.

*Le video:

Something about the noise floor itself being dependent on the DAC state, which can be measured, but typically isn't - if this has ever been picked up by ASR I'd be curious to see their take on it.

Fascinating, I love the mention of Rebecca Pidgeon singing Spanish Harlem. It is one of the songs my local group used for blind tests before we had music specifically recorded for our studies.

https://audiophilemusic.io/portfolio/the-raven-rebecca-pidgeon-1994-chesky-album-of-all-time/

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #103,159 of 148,981
How much does the free built-in DAC on the motherboard of a $500 PC cost? Probably $2? $5 at the max. I’ve heard people claim that add on DACs can’t improve over those.
Exactly how I got into this hobby. Had a work PC and some Bose desktop speakers plugged into the HP output. Put a U-DAC in between and was blown away by the improvement. Then I stumbled across Schiit Audio and my life was forever changed :)

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #103,160 of 148,981
Exactly how I got into this hobby. Had a work PC and some Bose desktop speakers plugged into the HP output. Put a U-DAC in between and was blown away by the improvement. Then I stumbled across Schiit Audio and my life was forever changed :)
Same here - my onboard sound card was locking up Zoom on an aging PC. I bought a $45 sound card and was shocked. I now own two tube amps, a Vidar, two Modis, a Vali, a Lyr and a Saga.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #103,161 of 148,981
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #103,162 of 148,981
For some audiophiles, Spanish Harlem is like Merlot.

Really?? :ksc75smile::ksc75smile: I can only recall using a small segment of it myself and it has been a while but then I like some of the Chesky recordings. What do you and some audiophiles prefer?

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #103,165 of 148,981
I have never heard this song until right now. Eek.
LOL it is not so much the song itself as some of the background instruments. HD Tracks used it as an example along with maybe 7 other recordings as best I recall but I have no idea if they still do that.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #103,167 of 148,981
Will it have an optical input?
Absolutely.

Modi Multibit Black '22-004.jpg

Modi Multibit Silver '22-001.jpg

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 17, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #103,168 of 148,981
Did I miss a chapter? Or am I just dumb (no comments)...! I've been wondering, what the heck is a Piety??? So, I looked it up. Very interesting. Lot's of new releases in the land of Schiit. While I don't need all of these new pieces, I definitely want them. Crap. 😡

Piety
Headphone amplifiers are like sweaters and tools. You can never have enough of them. 😊

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #103,170 of 148,981
Five years ago (or so) I bought a Modi 2U and Vali 2 and have never regretted my purchase, use them daily (using them whilst I write this).

My only regret is that I didn't spring for the Modi Multibit at the time, now I find that I now have a chance later this year / early next year. And of course I am currently moving house so have no spare money. C'est la vie. Good thing that I'm very happy with my original purchase still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back