Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #105,631 of 149,495
Same power, but sounds better! (Yes, heretical...)

I get in those "it measures the same, so it has to sound the same" arguments all the time. Especially when discussing boutique capacitors in speaker crossovers. No one seems to think there can be audible differences in capacitors, when listening to caps of the same value. But, I know what I hear...! Exhausting...! 🙃

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #105,632 of 149,495
Oof, that new vidar faq section on class d sounds eerily silmilar to the recent discussions on this thread, haha. Though in fairness it does make a distinction between standalone amps and powered speakers. Most of my impressions of class D come from the latter.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #105,633 of 149,495
Nice...! :laughing:

So, the tube sub is a servo sub. Impressive. Can you share details, brand?

Thanks!

19AD8344-8B40-4955-B84D-877EC8D8AD08.jpeg
I bought the GR driver and Rythmik A370PEQ amp from GR Research and then built the tube cabinet. It was a fun project and my first speaker build. And it is a BEAST! Easily hits under 20Hz and will knock schiit off the walls when pushed.

This is the current version of the kit. You can also order a flat pack of the cabinet to build and finish.
GR Research Single Servo Sub and amp kit.

Or if you want a completed regular box version of this you can get it from Rythmik Audio.
Rythmik Audio F12G

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #105,634 of 149,495
What is the reason only XLR is available for monoblock mode? Couldn't nexus help with this?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #105,635 of 149,495
So I moved the electronics over to my “B” system and found the warmth I was missing. This combo is stunning!

Speakers are GR Research X-Statiks with a Sealed Servo-controlled subwoofer.

Tyr has elevated these towers to a level of which I didn't know they were capable! They just seem to have total control of the drivers and yet still provide a ton of air, depth, and dynamic energy.

The X-Statiks use a soft dome Peerless tweeter. It’s not as transparent as the Super 7’s planar tweeter, but it is more forgiving of poor recordings. These are particularly great for rock, techno, and similar music.

AC61986C-F7E3-4D5C-ABEC-1FCA5277FE21.jpeg
Ahhh, I see IsoAcoustics GAIA isolators... someone else who has discovered the magic they bring! Awesome.
"What a ridiculous tweak!" I thought. And then I installed them, and listened for a bit.
And then I uninstalled them, bc I couldn't believe the difference I heard.
It took about 15 seconds back on the factory spikes... and then I re-installed the GAIAs and never looked back.
Won't go without them, ever again. Best bang for the buck non-electronic system tweak ever.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #105,636 of 149,495
Ahhh, I see IsoAcoustics GAIA isolators... someone else who has discovered the magic they bring! Awesome.
"What a ridiculous tweak!" I thought. And then I installed them, and listened for a bit.
And then I uninstalled them, bc I couldn't believe the difference I heard.
It took about 15 seconds back on the factory spikes... and then I re-installed the GAIAs and never looked back.
Won't go without them, ever again. Best bang for the buck non-electronic system tweak ever.
Agreed. I got mine used for a good price. Retail price is a tough swallow but they do work well.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #105,637 of 149,495

I bought the GR driver and Rythmik A370PEQ amp from GR Research and then built the tube cabinet. It was a fun project and my first speaker build. And it is a BEAST! Easily hits under 20Hz and will knock schiit off the walls when pushed.

This is the current version of the kit. You can also order a flat pack of the cabinet to build and finish.
GR Research Single Servo Sub and amp kit.

Or if you want a completed regular box version of this you can get it from Rythmik Audio.
Rythmik Audio F12G

Interesting. A Rythmik sub has been on my wish list for a while now...! Plus, I didn't know GR Research offered a sealed version of their sub. I always assumed there's was only for open baffle.

Thanks again. 😃

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #105,638 of 149,495
That'll help, but best would be tailoring to the actual complex impedance curve of a specific driver. That's why Class D embedded in a speaker (bi-amped or tri-amped) usually gives much better results--you can either flatten the speaker impedance, or compensate for it in the filter.

Same power, but sounds better! (Yes, heretical...)
Sorry I should have been more clear, will it go into overcurrent protection as easy as OG Vidar?

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #105,640 of 149,495
What is the reason only XLR is available for monoblock mode? Couldn't nexus help with this?
According to the Schiit website, mono is not a mode but the result of driving each channel with one-half of a truly balanced signal; so it goes without saying that you'll need a preamp with REAL balanced outputs (any of the Schitt products with balanced outputs qualify).

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #105,641 of 149,495
Vidar 2's standby sounds great. Been sweating idle watts, and don't want to be constantly turning on/off my kit. Shot up to the top of my future purchase responsible amp list (surpassing Class-D, thank you for saving me).

That said, I did have a Covid fever dream (so real fever) thinking the mystery second item was that Bifrost/Asgard sized desktop amp - thinking 8-10 watts - 1-2 watts Class A, all of the lessons from Continuity (Continuity S?) via Aegir, Jot 2, and Lyr+. Nexus? FUSION (really dreaming)!? Mini side heatsinks and lots of speed holes? $500? $750 w/ tube? A person can dream...

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #105,642 of 149,495
Vidar 2's standby sounds great. Been sweating idle watts, and don't want to be constantly turning on/off my kit. Shot up to the top of my future purchase responsible amp list (surpassing Class-D, thank you for saving me).

That said, I did have a Covid fever dream (so real fever) thinking the mystery second item was that Bifrost/Asgard sized desktop amp - thinking 8-10 watts - 1-2 watts Class A, all of the lessons from Continuity (Continuity S?) via Aegir, Jot 2, and Lyr+. Nexus? FUSION (really dreaming)!? Mini side heatsinks and lots of speed holes? $500? $750 w/ tube? A person can dream...

I like your dream, lets see if we can manifest it into reality...

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #105,643 of 149,495
2022 Chapter 16
Fully Modern, Meet Old Skool
I'm excited for Vidar 2! The spec says 400w at 8ohm for the mono. What's the watt at 4ohm for mono configuration? Is its power supply robust enough to drive hard to drive speakers using the mono configuration? Because bridged mono amps tend to suffer with hard to drive speakers.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #105,644 of 149,495
So I moved the electronics over to my “B” system and found the warmth I was missing. This combo is stunning!

Speakers are GR Research X-Statiks with a Sealed Servo-controlled subwoofer.

Tyr has elevated these towers to a level of which I didn't know they were capable! They just seem to have total control of the drivers and yet still provide a ton of air, depth, and dynamic energy.

The X-Statiks use a soft dome Peerless tweeter. It’s not as transparent as the Super 7’s planar tweeter, but it is more forgiving of poor recordings. These are particularly great for rock, techno, and similar music.

AC61986C-F7E3-4D5C-ABEC-1FCA5277FE21.jpeg
Have you heard your X-Statics in comparison to the NX-Oticas? I'm wondering how big of an improvement they are (assuming you add the bass back in).

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #105,645 of 149,495
Sorry, no Vidar 1.5, 2, 3, or Vidar+ in the works. It's a solid product, not much to change.
I notice a ver. 2 today. Any change to the sonics/tone from the first. Could one detect a difference doing an A/B listen from old to new?

:scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back