Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #105,496 of 150,453
Top 3 yggy+OG, Cary, Prima Luna with stock tubes. Yggy finishes third if someone like bcowen provides the tubes.
Lol, three or four of us will provide tubes. I want to say stock tubes in PrimaLuna are PSVane. I rarely use solid silver wire inside my amp builds but you should check out some of the parts used in the HoloAudio DAC, there are a few levels and this one is the level 3 I believe.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #105,497 of 150,453
Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but is there much of a market for older model Schiit gear? Nowadays, I often find selling things more a hassle then it's worth, but I hate to see good gear go to waste. I'm planning on upgrading from my Jot OG to a Jot 2 which pushes me over the edge for gear I need to get rid of:

Jotunheim OG w/balanced DAC
Bifrost MB w/ Gen 5 USB
Valhalla 2
Lyr 3 (maybe... trying to decide if to keep it or upgrade to the Lyr 3+)

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #105,498 of 150,453
Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but is there much of a market for older model Schiit gear? Nowadays, I often find selling things more a hassle then it's worth, but I hate to see good gear go to waste. I'm planning on upgrading from my Jot OG to a Jot 2 which pushes me over the edge for gear I need to get rid of:

Jotunheim OG w/balanced DAC
Bifrost MB w/ Gen 5 USB
Valhalla 2
Lyr 3 (maybe... trying to decide if to keep it or upgrade to the Lyr 3+)
Schiit gear certainly holds its value from what I have seen. Maybe a few folks from this thread will PM you.😁

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #105,499 of 150,453
On another note, maybe I should reconsider the Jot 2. If I'm downsizing to two devices (already have the Bifrost 2/64), what's the better option Jot 2 or Lyr+? I like the balanced option of the Jot, but I'd be lying if I claimed I could hear a difference - but then all those expensive balanced cables I bought go to waste.

Schiit's full size components don't interest me, sadly, just because of the added space. I use my Schiit gear in my den, at my desk or nearby recliner. In the bedroom, I more listening to my stereo (Rotel gear with KEF R3s).

Balanced aside, which one sounds better? I have a ton of phones' though I'd say the HD580/600/650/800S see the most action, but I have Uptopia 2022 incoming.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #105,500 of 150,453
On another note, maybe I should reconsider the Jot 2. If I'm downsizing to two devices (already have the Bifrost 2/64), what's the better option Jot 2 or Lyr+? I like the balanced option of the Jot, but I'd be lying if I claimed I could hear a difference - but then all those expensive balanced cables I bought go to waste.

Schiit's full size components don't interest me, sadly, just because of the added space. I use my Schiit gear in my den, at my desk or nearby recliner. In the bedroom, I more listening to my stereo (Rotel gear with KEF R3s).

Balanced aside, which one sounds better? I have a ton of phones' though I'd say the HD580/600/650/800S see the most action, but I have Uptopia 2022 incoming.
Nevermind. I'm going to do what any rational person would do: buy both. The added benefit is I can also eliminate my Saga S.

Here's what the new stack will look like (top to bottom):

Lyr+ (with SE inputs from the two DACs for easy comparison)
Jot 2 (with the Bifrost 2/64 directly connected with balanced cables, and the Lyr+ preamp out connected to SE input)
Modius E - for a DAC that measures well according to ASR's madness
Bifrost 2/64 - for the multibit goodness

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #105,501 of 150,453
Nevermind. I'm going to do what any rational person would do: buy both. The added benefit is I can also eliminate my Saga S.

Jot 2 (with the Bifrost 2/64 directly connected with balanced cables, and the Lyr+ preamp out connected to SE input)
Enjoy the Utopias! Amazing headphones. :)

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #105,502 of 150,453

I'm curious about the Modius E. I had a Modi 3E that I sold after a few weeks. The Modius has the ES9028 though compared to the Modi's ES9018.

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #105,503 of 150,453

Fwiw, Jot2 / Bifrost2 balanced synergy is hard to beat. You’ll be happy. Jot OG was excellent but the new one has more blackground and a super useful on/off for the preamp out. If you don’t care about these two things stay with OG and save $400.

HD580/600/650/800S see the most action, but I have Uptopia 2022 incoming.

I really like my Utopia ‘22 with tubes. Report on Lyr+! :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #105,504 of 150,453
Night time shots of Aegir

Here’s what my Piety projects onto my ceiling in the dark.
956CACF5-9FE9-491D-BAA2-C5C68CD6F5D7.jpeg

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #105,505 of 150,453
From a recommendation on here, I got the Emotiva CMX-2 Precision Common Mode AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator for trying to resolve a couple of issues with my Vidar powered system. It worked well (that is no reoccurrence of the problem since), and when the Tyrs were ordered I got a second one (the CMX-2 has only two outlets and the more outlet version is out of stock). They seem to do an excellent job and for me and may be worth a look.
Thanks. The humm actually stems from the Tyr that is indeed connected into a powerbar plugged into a CMX2 already :D
I doubt the powerbar is to blame? Like you said the stupid CMX2s only have 2 sockets, so i work with what I have : (

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #105,507 of 150,453
Big rig in my mind is my main system.

196714E7-EC80-413E-9B69-CCEBD2F461EB.jpeg

Today I am trying different tubes just to see if a more magical combination exists.

Musical selections include the Avett Bothers, Art Pepper, Willie Watson, Greg Brown, Tramples by Turtles, Van Morrison, and John Hyatt

Although I did not want to see it, I have a list of DAC's that should be in my upcoming comparison. That list could change slightly but I insisted on the two Yggdrasil, PrimaLuna, HoloAudio, and Aqua being there. :ksc75smile:

Yggdrasil + Less is More
Yggdrasil + OG
Benchmark DAC D3
Auralic Altair G1
Chord Hugo 2
Cary DAC 200 TS
Prima Luna EVO100 tube DAC
Aqua La Voce
Merason DAC 1
Doge 7 tube DAC
Lampizator Baltic 3
McIntosh MDA 200
HoloAudio May KTE
RME ADI-2
IFI Audio Pro iDSD

Now after such comparisons I have had folks say things like "I thought that would be the outcome". :L3000: Anyone want to make any outcome predictions BEFORE the comparisons are done. :wink:
What? You've chopped off the turntable and can barely see any tubes. My eyes are burning. 🤣🤣

This is a properly photographed big rig:

Room1.JPG

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #105,508 of 150,453
What? You've chopped off the turntable and can barely see any tubes. My eyes are burning. 🤣🤣

This is a properly photographed big rig:

Lol I was trying to avoid showing any of my cable masterwork, otherwise you would hang your head in shame.😂😂ECDECCD0-14C6-43D7-B292-DB1CB08BD217.jpeg

Here are a couple tubes so you will leave me alone!!🤪🤪

Also I have no storage yet for vinyl, I am working on birdseye maple with dovetail joints.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #105,509 of 150,453
Hey @Jason Stoddard I have a question about Freya N (of which I am one happy new owner, ‘cause I have a whole bunch of 6922 tubes that I accumulated when I was tube-rolling my Mjolnir 2)…

You mention in the original release that (my italics added):
Freya Noval. This is our other top-of-the-line tube preamp. I say “other,” because it’s exactly the same as Freya+, with the exception of some operational point changes, and the addition of two small resistors to the gain-setting structure. That’s it. Everything else—differential buffer mode, passive mode, volume ladder, etc…all the same. The difference is that this one ships with 6N1P tubes, which we have a zillion of, so you can be assured of supply. The other difference is that you can use a whole lot of different tube combos in this product—6DJ8, 6922, 7308, 6BZ7, ECC88, 6CG7, heck, you can even use 6N6P in two of the slots, combined with two lower-heater-current tubes, because as long as you’re under 2.4A total, you’re fine. (And if all of this crazy heater-current talk makes you nuts, just stick with the 6N1Ps, or try a quad of 6CG7s, or try some premium 6922s as input tubes only.)
My question is… Would I want to have 6N6P’s in the output tube slots? I have a couple extras because I ordered a bunch of 6N6P’s from the Ukraine for “just in case” on my Folkvangr. But is there a reason why 6922’s in input + 6N6P’s would be preferable to 6922’s in input plus 6n1p’s or 6922’s? I get that the amp can take it… but is there a rational reason why I should try to use tubes to max out the heater current in the amp? I mean you know I’m gonna try anyways, but I want to know what I should expect…. Or what you or the folks there @ Schiit prefer?

Thanks!

(Of course I welcome anyone’s input on this key Freya N question - but I figure since Jason threw in the seemingly key word “heck”, he might have a strong POV on this one).

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #105,510 of 150,453
Big rig in my mind is my main system.

Today I am trying different tubes just to see if a more magical combination exists.

Musical selections include the Avett Bothers, Art Pepper, Willie Watson, Greg Brown, Tramples by Turtles, Van Morrison, and John Hyatt

Although I did not want to see it, I have a list of DAC's that should be in my upcoming comparison. That list could change slightly but I insisted on the two Yggdrasil, PrimaLuna, HoloAudio, and Aqua being there. :ksc75smile:

Yggdrasil + Less is More
Yggdrasil + OG
Benchmark DAC D3
Auralic Altair G1
Chord Hugo 2
Cary DAC 200 TS
Prima Luna EVO100 tube DAC
Aqua La Voce
Merason DAC 1
Doge 7 tube DAC
Lampizator Baltic 3
McIntosh MDA 200
HoloAudio May KTE
RME ADI-2
IFI Audio Pro iDSD

Now after such comparisons I have had folks say things like "I thought that would be the outcome". :L3000: Anyone want to make any outcome predictions BEFORE the comparisons are done. :wink:
(assuming Y+ OG == Y OG soundwise...) I own Hugo 2 and May KTE, I've owned Y OG. I'd rank Hugo 2 < May KTE NOS ~ Y OG < May KTE + external HQPlayer upsampling + DSD modulation. "~" means varies with the material, Y OG wins overall for Redbook, NOS May KTE wins on higher sample rates, May KTE with external processing wins all the time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back