Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #105,226 of 150,820
Well folks, just sold the last of my big ticket hardware. I'm down to a few accessories and some odds and ends and my tube inventory. I started this liquidation on Oct 18, I can not believe how everything sold as fast as it did, almost all the big Schiit was out the door in about 10 days. I made around 30 sales, only had to list 6 or so, so many proactively contacted me. Thanks to all on this thread I dealt with, it was a a pleasure.
I am loving the items I received and it was a pleasure meeting you. I have no doubt all were thrilled with the way you maintained the products. I received two ring binder notebooks that you created for the PrimaLuna and Sonus Fabers and REL's that contained some wonderful information including one of your reviews. Not to mention original boxes and paperwork. My son will finally get to hear the system when he visits over Christmas, he is looking forward to it. (He did most of the heavy lifting as we loaded a van with gear.
Once you get moved if you ever need a small rack system for your remaining or new gear it will be my gift to you.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #105,227 of 150,820
I want to try that. My secret sin/guilty pleasure food is a quarter pounder loaded with fries.
This would be on another level.
Sadly I suspect it will not appear down-under at least in that form.
But will be on the lookout.

Edit: For clarity, there are much better burgers IMHO, but still get dragged back to a quarter pounder once or twice a year!
In the interest of full disclosure, I saw "Carolina BBQ done right" (as if that were possible) and opportunistically pounced purely for comedic reasons. 😆 🤣

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #105,228 of 150,820
Well folks, just sold the last of my big ticket hardware. I'm down to a few accessories and some odds and ends and my tube inventory. I started this liquidation on Oct 18, I can not believe how everything sold as fast as it did, almost all the big Schiit was out the door in about 10 days. I made around 30 sales, only had to list 6 or so, so many proactively contacted me. Thanks to all on this thread I dealt with, it was a a pleasure.
Congratulations!

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #105,229 of 150,820
We are watching The Beatles "Get Back" documentary by Peter Jackson. The sound engineer is Glyn Johns. I bring this up because his control board is literally covered with VU Meters. Made me think of you @OldRoadToad. :)

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #105,230 of 150,820
Schiit says the dissipation is 4W, so the skin temp appears to be on the high side for that wattage dissipation. Contact Schiit for their take on this problem.
+1 that 120-130F sounds a bit high for 4W dissipation rating.

from some informal tests on my own units (sample of one, some unit-to-unit variation expected):
schiit-supplied wall-wart 15VAC 1500mA model is about 3- 3.5 W by itself
silver Magni 3+ about 2W when first powered on, rising to 4.2 - 4.5 W after warm-up (takes at least 1/2 hr) 87F center of top cover, unchanged after 3 hrs
silver Loki Mini+ about 4.7W when first powered on, and 5.2 - 5.4 W after 1 hr (92F center of top cover, via thermocouple taped in place).

unit under test on a desk by itself, not stacked, away from heating ducts and drafts, room at 68F ambient
kil-a-watt P3 AC usage meter (~$30 meter) for AC power measurements,
Fluke 179 DMM with thermocouple probe for temperature readings.

TL/DR; the Magni 3+ and Loki Mini+ should be in same temperature range, with the Loki Mini+ a bit warmer (but not 2x)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #105,232 of 150,820
The Loki Mini+ I have is definitely considerably warmer than the Magni+. However, I think part of the problem is that they ARE stacked, and not just stacked but velcro'd (still have the feet creating distance between them, but it's snug) and sitting on a somewhat insulating surface as well (the Loki Mini+ is on the bottom of the stack). There's not sufficient surface area exposed to normal room airflow to efficiently remove heat from the chassis. I was able to get a cooler feeling operation by setting the stack on its side, and may just keep using it like that, but if you think I ought to contact Schiit I guess I can do that.

I will note that if you google "Loki Mini+ Hot" there are a lot of people who note similarly that it gets really hot compared to their expectation of it and compared to their Schiit amps.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #105,233 of 150,820
Thanks go out to @sam6550a for Satsuma mandarins. It pays to have friends, now I just need to think of a suitable thank you gift.🤪

D94B7325-192E-4DAF-8CBE-35062CBC9226.jpeg

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #105,234 of 150,820
Random meme I saw somewhere (dunking on 'murrica) and I had to think of it when I saw the post I replied to.
While looking for the original image I stumbled upon a recipe... created by someone who also saw this burger in a meme, this time about "the dangers of marijuana".
That recipe was entitled "BIG WILLY'S SUICIDE BURGER". "Suicide burger" is a fun search term and I am very hungry now...

It will be hard to beat the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas, though.
Heart-Attack-Grill-Menu.jpeg
I love that they have a vegan option... cigarettes!

Seems like that requires technique at some point:
18155791_10154376038142111_308159778397411010_o.jpg
(not mine)

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #105,236 of 150,820
It'll drive anything--headphones, speakers, Raals (the bass shelf is a bit different for Audeze, otherwise it's the same as the Jot R.) Also a little lower gain. I'd personally pick up a set of Raal circumaurals and call it a day, or get an adapter made so you can use the amp with any other headphone or nearfield speakers. It's perfectly safe, just designed for tons of current and low voltage.

Snake Oil cables knows the pinout and has done speaker/adapter cables.

Would my Jot R (+ adapter) be a better option to run difficult to drive headphones like the susvara over something like the Jot 2?

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #105,237 of 150,820
Random meme I saw somewhere (dunking on 'murrica) and I had to think of it when I saw the post I replied to.
While looking for the original image I stumbled upon a recipe... created by someone who also saw this burger in a meme, this time about "the dangers of marijuana".
That recipe was entitled "BIG WILLY'S SUICIDE BURGER". "Suicide burger" is a fun search term and I am very hungry now...

It will be hard to beat the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas, though.
Heart-Attack-Grill-Menu.jpeg
I love that they have a vegan option... cigarettes!

Seems like that requires technique at some point:
18155791_10154376038142111_308159778397411010_o.jpg
(not mine)
I once had a 10 patty burger thingy at In-N-Out. My supervisor at the time thought it would be fun and so we all went there for lunch and I consumed the whole thing. I used to be what was once known as a "trencherman" in my quest for calories to build muscle with. I had 8 medium pizzas at one lunch and we went to an all you can eat prime rib feastival where i had an estimated 3+ lbs of meat along with anything else they gave me.

I no longer do that as it would be ridiculous for someone my age and I no longer need as many calories in a day, let alone a sitting.:ksc75smile:

For me, being some thing of a pig is no longer needed!:beerchug:

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #105,239 of 150,820
B-stock is right. Says so on the page!

OK., never noticed that.

There are many items I've never seen on the B-stock page, but maybe it's because they sell right away when they're added.

I had two Tyrs in my cart a few days after black Friday. $1599 each is tough to swallow considering I'm in Canada and have to add exchange, import duties, etc. (more like $2500 each to us) $1299 was a bit easier to take. When messing around with the cart, I accidentally deleted them. I never did see them reappear on the B-stock page. Bummer. But I'll watch the b-stock page to see if any ever reappear as returned items.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #105,240 of 150,820
Would my Jot R (+ adapter) be a better option to run difficult to drive headphones like the susvara over something like the Jot 2?
I’ll figure that out when I get the custom cable next week for the nearly equally hard to drive Stealths. All I needed is a gender change adapter, but went with the full cable. I have a Jot 2 for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back