Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #104,086 of 150,791
So last week I was complaining to my son (who is a sous chef at a resort) because my Cusinart special knives from Bed Bath and Beyond were not cutting it anymore.

After he was finished laughing, he took me to a professional chef's knife shop and got me a beautiful Takayuki knife from Japan.

Well, have to say, carving the Turkey with this was like butter! Who knew?

Kinda like me saying to him that music is a whole lot better on my headphone system, than his iPhone / airpods setup. :)
I have a set of Cuisinart knives in a block on the counter. Guests are impressed with them and I let them use them freely.

Hidden in the drawer, in its own sheath, is a Zwilling knife that only a trusted few know about and are allowed to use.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #104,087 of 150,791
Have all you Canucks looked into a parcel service like the one listed below?

https://www.runninred.com/

Basically you send your package to a US parcel service on a border town, and then a Canadian company comes into the US picks up the goods and brings it through Canada customs and puts the goods into domestic shipping.

I have no idea if it saves money, or just time and hassle, but these services appear popular and exist all along the US-Canada border.

Might be worth looking into.

The parcel services will generally hold the goods as well for a period of time, before assessing a nominal fee for storage.
I was doing it for 10 years pre-COVID.

Unfortunately, Washington State started charging 10% US state taxes on items shipped to a PO Box. It's cheaper to pay 12% CDN taxes.

Border lineups are painful sometimes, not to mention gas.

Less than half the traffic to Washington State this year than pre-Covid... these increased costs make most stuff the same or more cost.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #104,088 of 150,791
Oh god I want to buy the Loki+ on sale ($149 down to $99), but I also want to wait for Modi Multibit 2.

And I don't want to pay shipping twice (shipping is NOT cheap to Canada).

Oh the struggle!

sale price probably is close to shipping differential between a single shipment and splitting into two shipments.

another consideration is the finish. the black powder coat should be essentially the same between Loki+ and MM2 when it releases in Dec 2022/ Q1 2023.
silver however-- will MM2 ship with anodized aluminum top or silver powder coat finish over steel? will a Loki+ be available to match it?

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #104,089 of 150,791
Hi all, Wasn't sure where to ask this - so please let me know if there's a more appropriate location.

I just received my Modi+ and I'm trying to get it to work with my iPhone as the source. I have it powered up with the included USB C to USB A cable and wall-wart, but when I connect to the USB input with the Apple Camera connector kit, I get the "Cannot Use Accessory: Schiit Modi+: This accessory requires too much power." message. I've sent a note to Schiit support but thought I'd ask here if anyone has found a solution.

Thanks

Mine does the same thing, no matter how much power I give it independently from the iPhone input.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #104,090 of 150,791
I know virtually nothing about iPhones, but have you tried using a powered USB hub between the iPhone and DAC? While the DAC has its own power, the DAC needs power via the USB to power the USB controller chip. Some phones just do not output enough power to relaibly power the USB controller chip in the DAC. A Powered USB HUB will provide the power needed to power the USB chip and not rely on the phone to do so. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #104,092 of 150,791
Is the camera adapter plugged into a power source? whenever I use an apple product with my schiit gear I keep the adapter plugged in, the dac plugged in, and everything works great.

Plus my apple device stays charged.

so ive got a 20w apple charger plugged in to the power input and the CCK plugged in to the usb data/power input

works out fine with modi 3e but not the plus.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #104,093 of 150,791
I just received my Modi+ and I'm trying to get it to work with my iPhone as the source. I have it powered up with the included USB C to USB A cable and wall-wart, but when I connect to the USB input with the Apple Camera connector kit, I get the "Cannot Use Accessory: Schiit Modi+: This accessory requires too much power." message.
Mine does the same thing, no matter how much power I give it independently from the iPhone input.
I got that with several devices with an old iPad as well, even with the adapter having a charger in it (that just seems to charge the iPad, not help it supply more power to downstream devices).

have you tried using a powered USB hub between the iPhone and DAC?
That's the ticket. I used this one from Anker and it worked with my iPad, if that helps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZQ07NE/
$36 in 2019, and now it's "on sale" for $40...

What should also work is an iFi iDefender with an external power supply. Compared to a USB hub it has the advantage that it also cuts the ground connection (both the Anker and two different Sabrent USB hubs don't do it). Whether that is at all beneficial to you is a different question, but it breaks a ground loop in one fun scenario I tried.

Is the camera adapter plugged into a power source? whenever I use an apple product with my schiit gear I keep the adapter plugged in, the dac plugged in, and everything works great.

Plus my apple device stays charged.
Isn't enough for my iPad, FWIW.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #104,095 of 150,791
Holy schiit, was wondering when should I get a Lokius when this happened

Thanks Jason, secured one for myself!

Just to confirm, these are still B-stock right?

Also, do I need to specify that I need a 220V adapter for the Lokius?
As Jason replied, it's A stock. Another plus, silver is the same price as black (+20 for silver when ordered standard).

I picked up a Lokius with the savings. My unit to NC was ($262 with tax and shipping), the same price range I'm seeing Lokius go for used on Ebay.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #104,096 of 150,791
No word from her for quite a while. I even made these mini radials since she likes Purple Heart wood.F3AB1A2F-4668-4B6C-9074-8974402D0EEB.jpeg
B6E064CF-3F2F-4A19-9484-93CCB717471B.jpeg
Well, this time of year is especially about family and she is an integral part of this one. It is my hope, my prayer if you will, that she is doing well and will return at her convenience. I know what it is to be away, believe me. And no, I do not mean just away from here but from those you love in, let us call it the "real world". Your family and the friends you love as family.

You guys may not be in that real world I call my own, but one day I hope to meet you and that I can be a part of your real world. Same with AudioGal. She is one of us here and more than worthy to be in each of the worlds we all know as real.

Enough ramblin'. You folks are wonderful. Look after yourselves, please. In all ways and for always, be well my friends.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #104,097 of 150,791
My Ragnarok 2 has only been used as a preamp. I use both balanced sets of inputs. One for the Yiggy and one for the right and left outputs of the surround system. The Ragnarok 2 drive two Tyrs. Sometimes I use it as a headphone amp so I can listen to the Yiggy.
I’ll proceed with confidence, then! The headphone output to listen to the Yggy early in the morning is exactly why I want to keep Rag2 there.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #104,098 of 150,791
They are the original Yggdrasil, hence the big cut.

Lokius looks like it's just a deal--not B-stock. If it says "Black Friday Deal," that's regular A-stock. There's also B-stock and closeout.

With respect to the adapter, if you didn't note it on your order, just contact orders@schiit.com and let them know voltage and plug type, and they'll get you taken care of.
Erm, apparently I was told that I cannot change my order anymore as the order is shipped even though I see that Fedex havent taken the package yet

I am ok with getting the mug on a separate occasion but would need the 230V adapter at the very least

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #104,100 of 150,791
I read a review that makes me want to try the Heretic, seems like a very capable amp too with really great measurements - I'm trying to ease my kiddo into the hobby, maybe I should get one and let him use the one I'm not using at a given time as a loaner :)
Personally I would do Magni + instead...

Heretic will be flat, but Magni + will put some meat on the bones while being clean too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back