Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #104,057 of 151,560
Alright.. excellent Black Friday sale, time to try two Aegirs with the Heresy IVs… Has anybody used their Ragnarok 2 as a preamp?

1669579050276.jpeg
I seriously thought about the Rag as a preamp. Then I remembered that I have a Freya OG and Freya S, so I put my credit card away. 😁

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #104,058 of 151,560
@Jason Stoddard

Looking forward to the next chapter!

I dont think its a competition at all..both amps here are superlative.

From Jason's comments:
But just goes to show: infinite variations. Some people will like one, some another, some none of the above. It comes down to much more than measurements. Power output is an important factor, and Piety is very weak in the Magni universe (it's the lowest power Magni ever made--the original Magni got near double its ratings.) It sounds great in many applications, but also has significant trade-offs. You'll run into protection on Magni Piety much faster than any other Magni. And yes, this matters. Maybe not to you, but to many, many others.

I have a Magni deep dive tech chapter coming, probably next week, that goes into some of the stuff we've explored--and discovered--through the years.

Listening with Piety with D8000 Pros, Orchid 2541 NOS dac...excellent pairing.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #104,059 of 151,560
I seriously thought about the Rag as a preamp. Then I remembered that I have a Freya OG and Freya S, so I put my credit card away.

No need to put it up just yet. Send me your CC info and I'll be happy to help you rackup reward points. Or I can just DM you my shipping address for the Frey+ N. 😏

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #104,060 of 151,560
Two observations:

If I purchased one fully loaded Ragnarok, my Freya OG, Freya S, Vidar, Aegirs, Gungnir, Mani, Jotunheim, Valhalla, Lyr, Magnius, Modius, and Saga S would all become superfluous.🤔

Also, looking at all the models and versions listed on the B-Stock, Closeout, and Black Friday Deals page I realized the inventory nightmare that Jason hoped to avoid. And those listed are only the tip of the iceberg. 😮

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #104,061 of 151,560
Alright.. excellent Black Friday sale, time to try two Aegirs with the Heresy IVs… Has anybody used their Ragnarok 2 as a preamp?

1669579050276.jpeg

I experimented with Rag 2 as a preamp into a single stereo Aegir with Klipsch Forte IIs. It was very good, but I actually preferred the Rag 2 on its own. I also like the simplicity of a single integrated setup.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #104,062 of 151,560
As I mentioned here earlier, last Friday was a very very bad day. My first reaction when I read the mail........ That's it, I'm done with Schiit. I haven't ordered anything recently. But even $ 800 difference for a pair of Tyr mono blocks was rough. With the duty taxes that comes to a grand.
Not for the money, I'm very happy with the amps, but for the break of promise. I respected Schiit for that bold attitude.

Still very strongly considering to leave the brand for good. At least they lost my recommendations to fellow music fans. Not a promotor anymore.

I know this is a difficult time and I understand your anger about a company lowering prices(?); however, consider this:

1) Schiit is well aware of what's been mentioned in the past regarding sale practices, and they aren't enjoying this.

2) If Schiit has a bunch of money sitting in the warehouse in the form of Schiit they have too much of and Schiit they don't what to make anymore, they absolutely should turn that Schiit into Schiit they can use to "move the company forward". To do otherwise is irresponsible, period - regardless of past "business sales principles".

3) Schiit doing this is good for all of us. The more cash Schiit has means they can build / launch more Schiit that people will actually buy. A healthy Schiit is a good Schiit.

4) Withholding advice about lower cost Schiit that sounds good from your "friends"... well... I'm not sure your friends will appreciate that Schiit.

5) Get over this Schiit and enjoy the music.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #104,063 of 151,560
I seriously thought about the Rag as a preamp. Then I remembered that I have a Freya OG and Freya S, so I put my credit card away. 😁
I have a Freya OG and Freya S. I succumbed to the lure of a Freya N anyway. I am weak, weak, I tell you!

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #104,064 of 151,560
Likely a dumb question, and I'm asking out of idle curiosity, but can the LISST not-tubes be adapted for the Freya N?

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #104,065 of 151,560
Likely a dumb question, and I'm asking out of idle curiosity, but can the LISST not-tubes be adapted for the Freya N?
there were some noval (9 pin) LISST made at one time that should work with Freya N, but they were discontinued due to slow sales and/or difficult to manufacture. generally very hard to find.

the octal LISST should work electrically, but will need a stack of socket savers and octal-socket-to noval-tube adapters, and will stick up quite a bit. someone, perhaps @bcowen mentioned a guy (Deyan?) that makes custom tube adapters.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #104,066 of 151,560
For the record, Schiit does pre-warn us 🇨🇦 Canadians that FedEx adds a up to $10 charge for "brokerage" despite the US-MEX-CAN agreement. It is what it is...
In a previous life (i.e. pre retirement) I worked in import/export for many years. Even if a product is made in the USA, when shipped to either Mexico or Canada, the parcel carrier needs to file a customs entry with the recipient's government customs agency. In Canada, that would be the Canada Border Services Agency. If the item or items qualify for NAFTA duty free entry, a customs entry still needs to be filed, which in the example cited, costs up to $10. Essentially, the $10 fee is for the "labor" of filing a customs entry for the shipment.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #104,067 of 151,560
Other way around here - happy with Rag 2, want to try Aegirs, not interested in Freya at the moment…

I’m sure the pre outs are as transparent as the rest.

1669588612858.jpeg

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #104,070 of 151,560
When we were talking about movie soundtracks did anyone mention John Carpenter's The Thing?
Ennio Morricone's music is creepy as all get out.
(enjoying the 4K version as I type)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back