Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #104,026 of 152,528
Christmas is coming!
The Gnomes are coming to a listening session this morning!!
LOL!

Once were Cheer Leaders for North Carolina!
1669568274905.jpeg
My wife has been busy in her pottery shed making tiny bells. We both like to give handmade items.😁 27B9BF04-17B2-4A46-84F2-3D7B866DA002.jpegAC505518-BEC9-4B11-8FDB-55F9EE099F56.jpeg

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #104,027 of 152,528
So I sat on the idea of getting one - SWMBO was not amused (she's über practical and I love and respect her for it) - and I watched last evening as the last one went. Buh-bye, missed opportunity on one of the best deals on the Schiit closedo out page.

But...when I went to bed around 11:00 PM ET, I saw 7 magically appear on the site! Hmmm....

<waits patiently> SWMBO: "If there's any left you should get one" :ksc75smile:

There were 3 left when I placed my order 10 minutes ago (not that I was checking. Gosh no!)...then there was 1 a minute ago... AND NOW THERE ARE 9??? What? 🤔
(I'm not complaining. I'm thrilled to have one on the way!)
I am happy for you! I looked at the Freya N and I like the looks but I honestly have no clue what a preamp really does for me and thereby why I would need one. Of course, I have always had receivers at home or in the 70s, the all-in-one turntable/receiver with speakers. I think the Freya N is very nice looking and was tempted but again, I doubt I would know what to do with it except ultimately give it to a family member.

It ain't easy bein' green and shallow.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #104,028 of 152,528
There are much more important things in life, like who wins when the North Carolina basketball team comes to town next Wednesday night. :ksc75smile:
I’m still in mourning over this last Friday. First they lose the football game to arch-rival NC State, and 20 minutes later they lose the basketball game to Iowa State. Was a Black Friday in the most literal sense. :sweat:

Hopefully they get their mojo back by next Wednesday. :slight_smile:

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #104,029 of 152,528
I’m still in mourning over this last Friday. First they lose the football game to arch-rival NC State, and 20 minutes later they lose the basketball game to Iowa State. Was a Black Friday in the most literal sense. :sweat:

IU’s best player has been in and out of the games with an injured right hand so NC should be in the game.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #104,030 of 152,528
As I mentioned here earlier, last Friday was a very very bad day. My first reaction when I read the mail........ That's it, I'm done with Schiit. I haven't ordered anything recently. But even $ 800 difference for a pair of Tyr mono blocks was rough. With the duty taxes that comes to a grand.
Not for the money, I'm very happy with the amps, but for the break of promise. I respected Schiit for that bold attitude.

Still very strongly considering to leave the brand for good. At least they lost my recommendations to fellow music fans. Not a promotor anymore.

Well, if sold through normal retail sources, a Tyr might run closer to $3200 each. I wouldn't want that. So, at what you paid, it's still a flat-out bargain, regardless if it wasn't the lowest price ever available. No need to dwell on that. Just enjoy what you have. 😃

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #104,031 of 152,528

We're number 5 baby...! Go Hoos...! :laughing:

Edit - A shame about UVa football. So sad...! 😢

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #104,032 of 152,528
The dangers of looking at the B-Stock & Closeout page once too often...I ordered a Freya N. To go with the Tyrs I already ordered. Makes sense, right?
So now I turn to my fellow Head-Fiers for tube recommendations. Hopefully, not too expensive. What say you, Paladin79? Got any advice? Or any vintage goodies you might consider parting with?
I need help, I know it...

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #104,033 of 152,528
The dangers of looking at the B-Stock & Closeout page once too often...I ordered a Freya N. To go with the Tyrs I already ordered. Makes sense, right?
So now I turn to my fellow Head-Fiers for tube recommendations. Hopefully, not too expensive. What say you, Paladin79? Got any advice? Or any vintage goodies you might consider parting with?
I will get back to you later, I saw plenty of great tubes on EBay recently. Just remember you do not need matched quads. I like many brands except for Genalex in this tube type. Football now.🤪🤪🤪🤪

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #104,034 of 152,528
I'n not supposed to be looking at tubes either, but I am open to recommendations and suggestions for my Freya N. Y'know, for "future reference". 😇

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #104,035 of 152,528

I'm just happy most of the SEC has been a complete basket case this year upsetting everyone at work, except the one Georgia fan. Add in The Ohio State losing to Michigan to get the one Ohio fan upset and its been a good year. Now TCU needs to beat Michigan to get the one last college football fan at work and everyone will be heartbroken.

Helps when the school I went to has no football team.

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #104,036 of 152,528
I'n not supposed to be looking at tubes either, but I am open to recommendations and suggestions for my Freya N. Y'know, for "future reference". 😇
I will see what I can find at halftime.🤪
The good ones can get pricey, I have none I want to relinquish at this time myself.

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #104,037 of 152,528
I'm just happy most of the SEC has been a complete basket case this year upsetting everyone at work, except the one Georgia fan. Add in The Ohio State losing to Michigan to get the one Ohio fan upset and its been a good year. Now TCU needs to beat Michigan to get the one last college football fan at work and everyone will be heartbroken.
Helps when the school I went to has no football team.
You win the Holy of Holies. The Sacred NoK :L3000: aka, The Nod of Knowledge. Why? Because other than getting the crap beat out of me throughout High School by football payers, I know nothing about football. Actually, I hate the game and those in it. When the NFL went on strike in the mid 80s the San Diego Chargers, like all teams, had tryouts for a temporary team. I never played but we had a fellow at our gym that had played before and was quite athletic. He was going to tryout and told me (we did NOT get along) that he thought I should try out because he would make me look like a fool when we lined up opposite one another. He was a guy that caught passes or so I recall.

I knew many of the players at the local JC where I had used the weight room between classes and they could have told him he was being a fool. Suffice to say his words were pointedly putrid and racially toned, LOL but words do not really harm me and I had to laugh at his clever wording of insults! I can have a temper but the gym owner came between us and said we would be banned if we got into a fight. It gets funnier but suffice to say, I acquiesced to his demand as did the other fellow.

I really do NOT like football or football players. I had a run in with two Chargers at a different gym and it was easier to shut them up than this guy. I hate football, LOL!

You win the award, my friend! I am a football moron. Just ask my family the delight in ignorance of all things sports and my extreme dislike for what I term "brofessional assletes". Baseball is not my thing either. Nor basketball (although I did laugh at the drive-in when they played Cheech and Chong's "Bassetball Jones"! I do not even watch the Olympics.

Cane toadish of me, I know. Hail to thee oh Knight of NoK!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #104,038 of 152,528
I am happy for you! I looked at the Freya N and I like the looks but I honestly have no clue what a preamp really does for me and thereby why I would need one. Of course, I have always had receivers at home or in the 70s, the all-in-one turntable/receiver with speakers. I think the Freya N is very nice looking and was tempted but again, I doubt I would know what to do with it except ultimately give it to a family member.

It ain't easy bein' green and shallow.:beerchug:

Thanks! I do like great music and fiddling with my Schiit and other bits in the audio chain. The Freya N will work nicely in my Library/reading room. I like to listen with wired cans on a 10-foot cable, so I'll be able to adjust the volume and switch between the Asgard 3 and the MagPie (which will flip between my play office and library), and maybe an Urd eventually with the Freya's remote. This will mean I should upgrade from a Lokius to a Loki Max... 🤔

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #104,039 of 152,528
I will see what I can find at halftime.🤪
The good ones can get pricey, I have none I want to relinquish at this time myself.
Watching 🐻, it's going to be a long day..

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #104,040 of 152,528
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125573805292?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304714356050?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225244353691?

These are examples of some for the gain side, (right side)

I might use these in the cathode follower side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265915884557?

These could be very good at a low price, 1974 and 1975 are the sought after years but 1973 could be decent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285022550800?

an example of 1975 pricing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175378135332?

What I normally do is decide on a brand and type and they watch for great deals. I spent as much as six months watching for specific Melz 1578's and they finally showed up.

watch for 1974 and 1975 Reflektors and they will eventually turn up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114854759812?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back