Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #102,991 of 150,893
I was joking about this, but then realized it would be an instant buy for me. And I suspect I'm not alone.
(So I hope Jason doesn't take my suggestion. Or at least my wallet hopes he doesn't...)
I liked the idea as well but then I got to thinking, no matter what I will be going through tube pre-amps into tube power amps so I should at least give solid state more of a chance for this purpose. The DAC's friends and I will be listening to will go through class A tube amps.

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #102,992 of 150,893
So we can expect a Yggdrasil+T with tubed output stage any day now, right?:yum:
Yes, yes, yes, please yes! :L3000:
Tube output stage DAC’s are hard to come by, I have been searching lol. I know of one for sure.
I love my Lampizator Amber II but it requires a USB-SPDIF converter because its USB input is mediocre (to say the least). The newer Lampis probably don't but they're unaffordable. I'd love to simplify my main rig with a Schiit DAC for its reliability, form factor, customer service and American manufacture.

I know from throwing my Bifrost Unison Multibit into the main rig that Unison is superior to my USB converter but the small scaled images and soundstage, dryness, lack of bloom and tonal richness of the Bifrost in that setup make me hesitant to try a Yggdrasil.

I'd purchase a tube output Yggdrasil in an instant. (I've had several other tubed DACs and CD players over the years).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #102,994 of 150,893
Yes, yes, yes, please yes! :L3000:

I love my Lampizator Amber II but it requires a USB-SPDIF converter because its USB input is mediocre (to say the least). The newer Lampis probably don't but they're unaffordable. I'd love to simplify my main rig with a Schiit DAC for its reliability, form factor, customer service and American manufacture. I know from throwing my Bifrost Unison Multibit into the main rig that Unison is superior to my USB converter but the small scaled images and soundstage, dryness, lack of bloom and tonal richness in that setup make me hesitant to try a Yggdrasil.

I'd purchase a tube output Yggdrasil in an instant. (I've had several other tubed DACs and CD players over the years).
Any tubed DAC's currently in production that you know of that I can compare? You mentioned Lampis of course. The Baltic 3 falls below the $8,000 mark anyway lol, it gets a bit crazy after that.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #102,995 of 150,893
How about an album recommendation that you have never seen on this or other HiFi forums? (Who can know for sure if it HAS been mentioned, as long as you haven't seen it...)

I'll start with Bella by Teddy Thompson.

Give me some good stuff to listen to, please! :)

Of course, so much depends on your musical tastes, etc. I have quite a number of items I could potentially suggest, though many would be impossible to find online, alas. Here is one you can find on Qobuz:

Marvin the Album (Frente!)

Frente! were an Australian band; they only released this and one other album so far as I know. Kind of a folk-pop sound that wasn't exactly in the mainstream in the 90's. I personally think it is an overlooked gem. Hope you like it!

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #102,996 of 150,893
Of course, so much depends on your musical tastes, etc. I have quite a number of items I could potentially suggest, though many would be impossible to find online, alas. Here is one you can find on Qobuz:

Marvin the Album (Frente!)

Frente! were an Australian band; they only released this and one other album so far as I know. Kind of a folk-pop sound that wasn't exactly in the mainstream in the 90's. I personally think it is an overlooked gem. Hope you like it!
I concur. Great sound.

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #102,997 of 150,893
shame. I was looking for a pair of 6L6 tubes, the new production Tung-Sol are supposedly the king's knickers, but yeah... will stay away.
If you are looking for new production, I would suggest Psvane. About $25 from the Tube Store in Ontario. They ship to US and price in US dollars.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #102,998 of 150,893
If you are looking for new production, I would suggest Psvane. About $25 from the Tube Store in Ontario. They ship to US and price in US dollars.
thanks for the hint. I am very impressed by the Shuguang Black Treasure KT66, might give the Psvane a try. also eyeing a pair of GE 6L6 NOS, but that is incomparable in terms of price.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #102,999 of 150,893
Any tubed DAC's currently in production that you know of that I can compare? You mentioned Lampis of course. The Baltic 3 falls below the $8,000 mark anyway lol, it gets a bit crazy after that.
Lampizator has the Amber 4 starting at $4395. Still a little rich for me, particularly as the main rig is getting less use these days (for a variety of reasons). Modwright apparently still has their Elyse DAC but it's expensive (~$7K?). And of course there's various Chinese tube DACs but the service issue and the socio-political-economic factors rule those out for me. There are some French and Italian tube DACs still I believe but they're probably all expensive. I've really not been paying attention to new equipment except for what I read about here on Head-Fi.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #103,000 of 150,893
…and at least their 6SN7 variants sound better (to my ears) than the Tung Sols, too. Of all the new-production 6SN7s I've tested yet, some of the Psvane ones are among my favorites. Especially the CV181-TII. The 6SN7-SE ("tennis ball") sounds pretty decent, too, but the ones I had were particularly sensitive to RF interference from nearby-ish wifi devices.
Not a fan of the 6SN7-UK, though. They aren't the worst tubes I've ever heard by any means, but a bit too bland to my ears. They're pretty cheap, though, so they'll do in a pinch.

In Freya+, a pair of CV181-TII in the input and a pair of 6SN7-SE in the output stage is my favorite new-production tube combo.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #103,001 of 150,893
Lampizator has the Amber 4 starting at $4395. Still a little rich for me, particularly as the main rig is getting less use these days (for a variety of reasons). Modwright apparently still has their Elyse DAC but it's expensive (~$7K?). And of course there's various Chinese tube DACs but the service issue and the socio-political-economic factors rule those out for me. There are some French and Italian tube DACs still I believe but they're probably all expensive. I've really not been paying attention to new equipment except for what I read about here on Head-Fi.
I talked to ModWright and the Elyse is no longer made. It was a tube stage added into an OPPO DAC as I recall.

PrimaLuna has one and I understand the concern about Chinese DACs, one of my group members has a Doge, so I may get to hear that. I looked for a Cary with no luck.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #103,002 of 150,893
shame. I was looking for a pair of 6L6 tubes, the new production Tung-Sol are supposedly the king's knickers, but yeah... will stay away.
I had a quad of the Tung Sol 6L6 STR (in a Rogue Cronus Magnum). I was totally unimpressed with them. They were thick sounding with an overemphasized bass and didn't come close to NOS RCA or Sylvania 6L6GCs or the Reflector 6P3S-E.

Edit: or the Genalex KT66 re-issue for that matter.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #103,003 of 150,893
Love that show! Highly recommended :relaxed:
Ok, when talking theme songs. The intro of Somebody Feed Phil is sung by Rachael Price and Lake Street Dive, I just learned that on a Nashville show featuring T-Bone Burnett. :ksc75smile:

My favorite Rachael Price cover.

Nov 15, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #103,004 of 150,893
Just wanted to say that in the past I gave away my Vali 2. It sounded like A##. Well, the other day I was feeling "happy" and I ended up buying the Vali 2 ++. The next day, I said to myself oh my. I was not impressed with the 2, and I doubt that the 2++ would sound significantly better. Why did I buy it? Thought I may return it even before receiving it. Well, I've listened to it extensively over the last couple days and I am completely blown away. I have other tube amps for much more money, but this is very very close to those. Drives the 300 ohm HD 6xx extremely well. They also drive the 150 ohm 660s, my planar magnetics, and of course my beloved Grado's. Haven't tried with IEM's yet. Regardless, I wanted to spread the love and let you know that surprises await you if you've not been surprised already.

Leo

Nov 15, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #103,005 of 150,893
…and at least their 6SN7 variants sound better (to my ears) than the Tung Sols, too. Of all the new-production 6SN7s I've tested yet, some of the Psvane ones are among my favorites. Especially the CV181-TII. The 6SN7-SE ("tennis ball") sounds pretty decent, too, but the ones I had were particularly sensitive to RF interference from nearby-ish wifi devices.
Not a fan of the 6SN7-UK, though. They aren't the worst tubes I've ever heard by any means, but a bit too bland to my ears. They're pretty cheap, though, so they'll do in a pinch.

In Freya+, a pair of CV181-TII in the input and a pair of 6SN7-SE in the output stage is my favorite new-production tube combo.
Have you also listened to the Psvane 6SN7GT? If so, how did you feel it compared to the CV181-TII?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back