Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #102,976 of 148,591
Oh, I wish I weren't colorblind, as I'd love to get my pilot's license...! 🤣
You can still get a pilot's license although there may be restrictions such as not being able to fly at night. Depending on just how color blind you are you could possibly get a full FAA Class I medical. Maybe seek out an aeromedical doc in your area and find out.

Here's a link to find a doc. It's a government website so it's not very good. Select "AME" under designee types, select "Location Search" and only select your state and you'll have better luck with the search.

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #102,978 of 148,591
So we can expect a Yggdrasil+T with tubed output stage any day now, right?:yum:
Tube output stage DAC’s are hard to come by, I have been searching lol. I know of one for sure.

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #102,979 of 148,591
If we're talking TV opening music, how about:
The Wild Wild West (arguably, the music was better than the show)
George of the Jungle (you can claim you didn't sing along, but I won't believe you)
and the ne plus ultra,
Mission Impossible.
(Dear Lord, I'm old...)
Played percussion in the jr high band many years ago. Always started practice with George of the Jungle theme on tympani

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #102,980 of 148,591
Yes, but ever since The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones, these soundtracks are all starting to sound "Samey".

I rather have Barney Miller or Cheers instead.
I was going to mention Barney Miller - a lot of great funky TV intros back then. Starksy and Hutch, Baretta (Sammy Davis Jr.), SWAT, Sanford and Son (Quincy Jones!).

Two other soundtracks that come to mind:

The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
The Nick - Cliff Martinez

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #102,981 of 148,591
I can't dance like that any longer. Knees and back don't cooperate now. Even Stimpy's get old...! 😩

I guess that's why I turned to the ways of The Force...! Mind control doesn't require good knees.

That looks like a young Finnegan.🤪
I have been working on losing weight and have a fairly smart scale that records on my phone. Yesterday morn I am looking at my phone trying to figure out how I gained 7 pounds overnight. I looked down and Finnegan had his two front paws on the scale.😁

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #102,982 of 148,591
That looks like a young Finnegan.🤪
I have been working on losing weight and have a fairly smart scale that records on my phone. Yesterday morn I am looking at my phone trying to figure out how I gained 7 pounds overnight. I looked down and Finnegan had his two front paws on the scale.😁

The best 7 pounds that you've ever packed on...! :grinning:

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #102,983 of 148,591
Speaking of tubes, I happened on this ModWright device a couple days ago, it adds tube sound to most any amp or preamp.

Below are features of the Analog Bridge:
It has a tube rectified and SS regulated power supply.
Two pairs of RCA inputs for two sources, two pairs of RCA outs.
We offer an optional add-cost fully balanced option that includes one pair of fully balanced XLR inputs and outputs.
Tube complement: (2)6922, (2)6SN7, (1)5AR4/GZ34

Frequency: 20Hz(-.5dB) - 200Khz(-1.5dB)
THD: < .005%
Noise: < -105dB (unweighted)

1668522094143.png
I do not need one since I have tube amps and pre-amps but I thought it interesting nonetheless. :ksc75smile: They used to add a tube stage inside an OPPO DAC but they no longer make those. It allows you to choose between 6sn7's and 6922's with the flip of a switch.
I find it really interesting, @Paladin79 - I had a Musical Fidelity X10 v3 in a previous system, and I loved the way it sounded in that rig. The tubes were not rollable in the X10 device, though... the ModWright sounds like a better solution for my current system.

I don't see the Analog Bridge on ModWright's webpage in the product section, though... the last note there was on the blog, from early June, that boards were ready, etc... it looks like you found one in a more complete state - if not, that's an incredibly realistic rendering! :)

Can you explain to me how they can offer a fully balanced I/O channel without doubling the tube compliment? What am I missing? /ds

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #102,985 of 148,591
You can still get a pilot's license although there may be restrictions such as not being able to fly at night. Depending on just how color blind you are you could possibly get a full FAA Class I medical. Maybe seek out an aeromedical doc in your area and find out.

Here's a link to find a doc. It's a government website so it's not very good. Select "AME" under designee types, select "Location Search" and only select your state and you'll have better luck with the search.

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Thanks!

And my color vision is pretty bad. During an eye exam, the Dr. pulled out a color chart book, turned to page 1, and asked me, "what did I see?" When I answered "nothing", he slammed the book closed, threw in back into his desk drawer, and said, "everyone can see that page...!" I guess not...! 🤣

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #102,986 of 148,591
I find it really interesting, @Paladin79 - I had a Musical Fidelity X10 v3 in a previous system, and I loved the way it sounded in that rig. The tubes were not rollable in the X10 device, though... the ModWright sounds like a better solution for my current system.

I don't see the Analog Bridge on ModWright's webpage in the product section, though... the last note there was on the blog, from early June, that boards were ready, etc... it looks like you found one in a more complete state - if not, that's an incredibly realistic rendering! :)

Can you explain to me how they can offer a fully balanced I/O channel without doubling the tube compliment? What am I missing? /ds
I will PM you the info I got in an email, mind you that device is minimum $2900. It might be better if you asked them directly about the balanced portion. :ksc75smile:

It is cheaper to get a Freya + of course.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #102,987 of 148,591
How about an album recommendation that you have never seen on this or other HiFi forums? (Who can know for sure if it HAS been mentioned, as long as you haven't seen it...)

I'll start with Bella by Teddy Thompson.

Give me some good stuff to listen to, please! :)
Well, I thought you'd be inundated with suggestions, but the soundtrack shout-outs seem to have caught everyone's attention.

My recommendation, based on absolutely zero knowledge of your tastes, and having never knowingly heard Teddy Thompson would be the third Pete Atkin album, A King At Nightfall. You can listen to it here at Smash Flops, the Pete Atkin fan site, along with all the rest of the music he and Clive James created. I really like the site, it's like stumbling into one of those dark, impossibly cluttered little hardware shops in small country towns that sold everything you'd ever need and smelled of all sorts of surprising chemistry.

I've no idea what quality the tracks stream at so they may sound like a**, or they may intrigue you enough to listen to more.

Either way, as you started with the recommendation for Bella by Teddy Thompson, then we've just traded a nudge to music that we both think deserves a wider audience, so cheers, thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #102,988 of 148,591
Hey all,

A quick announcement: the death of tubes has been greatly exaggerated!

6SN7 tubes are back for Freya+, specifically Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. LISST are available too.

More tomorrow. Not on tubes.

All the best,
Jason
Oo and for the FV too. Excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back