Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #102,647 of 150,767
The ZMF would be my second choice after Focal Utopias.
Don't you mean 2nd and 3rd given one can buy 2 Verite for the price of 1 Utopia? :D

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #102,648 of 150,767
For me, the film "Aliens" was painfully scary and I was a full grown, kinda-sorta adult. If a friend had not already seen the movie and told us it would be "okay", LOL, my wife and I would have probably gotten up and left. Yup. I am a wussy. :beerchug:

I saw a remake of Frankenstein on TV back in the early/mid 70's where the Doctor reanimated his bodies via chemicals not electricity. I don't know if this was an actual theatrical release or made for TV. If it was made for TV, I wonder how they got it past the censors! There was one scene where he had a severed arm in a fish tank filled with his magic juice. He told the person he was describing the process to to go over and touch the arm. They did so and the arm (and hand) immediately grabbed the guy's hand and wouldn't let go. As the guy was fighting with the hand, he pulled the fish tank over shattering it and in the process, the arm was dropped onto the floor. It started crawling toward the guy, using its fingers and nails to pull itself along the floor. When I went to bed that night and the rest of the week, I literally jumped into bed for fear that arm was under the bed waiting to grab me. Back then, I was an early teenager. To this day that scene still freaks me out. :scream:

The scene in "The Shining" where Danny is tooling around on his Big Wheel in the hotel and turns the corner to see the twins. Yep. Saw that when it was released in the theater. I don't think my heart dropped below 100 bpm until a couple hours after seeing the Jacksicle.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #102,649 of 150,767
Hi Roy, I just installed a pair of REL T/9x subs, pairing with my B&W 804 D3s and the Tyr monoblocks.
I was looking at SVS, but a friend uses B&W and REL equipment in his studio (and in his home systems), and he convinced me.

When he heard my 804/REL combo, about two hours into the burn-in, he said: "Sounds like you've upgraded to 801s!".
Since he listens to 801 D3s all day long, I was... blown away.

First thing about REL is the high-level integration. Not sure what magic they are using, but it is seamless.
Second thing about the REL is the high-level integration. Oh, did I say that, already?

I am not sure what smoke-based magic makes this work, but the RELs are sensing what's going to the main speakers, measured at the amplifier terminals.
Then, it integrates these data into a drive signal for the sub's driver, based on the crossover freq, level and phasing that you set.
It works like magic. Sounds like the 804s grew woofers. The timing and phasing are perfect.

More to come when they are broken in. I will post a more detailed story soonest.

I guess my first message is: "Don't forget REL!"

My next message is: "OMG Yggy is King: he makes all digital sources sound SO good (and he is going to get upgraded to a "+", just because I want a black chassis)."

My third message is: Tyr is a Monster, but it's a loveable Monster. The system is singing; so much dynamic headroom - it's just crazy. I am amazed at how the main speakers have been 'freed up', especially considering since there is no low-pass filter in play; they are doing what they've always done, just augmented by the pair of RELs.

/ds

p.s. - I am no longer thinking about upgrading the 804s to a pair of 802s. It is simply not necessary with a pair of T/9x subs.
p.p.s - Thank you REL for saving me $25k because the 802 D4 has a MSRP of $28k (and the pair o'RELs cost $3k). Money well spent.
p.p.p.s. - my neighbors are going to hate me. :p
I totally get what you are saying about REL subs and run them in my 2 channel system. :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #102,651 of 150,767
Tyr Monoblocks. Those B&Ws will come to life. I have 804 D3s, and I went from monoblock Vidars to Tyrs. Day and night. Black and white. Absolutely stunning. Do it!
If you don't believe me, ping @ArmchairPhilosopher.

Then, get a Yggy. While I haven't heard Modius, I live with an OG Yggy A2 every day. It is the closest thing to the Weiss DAC that I have ever heard, and it's 1/6th the price.
I have a Yggy OG and demoed a Weis DAC in my system for a week. It is incredibly detailed. But I decided I preferred my Yggy. It seems more musical where the Weis was more analytical. Of course at this level it really comes down to preference.

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #102,652 of 150,767
Nov 10, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #102,653 of 150,767
In what way? Just curious.

Yes! The space would have been great. At night with the DAC on the other end of the room, and the old layout, 44.1 and 96 look the same:
⚪⚫⚪
With the new layout, 44.1 and 48 look the same:
⚪⚪

I also like the idea of this:
⚪️️⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

The X1 LED would always be lit and serve as a visual reference for the first two (again, in a dark room from a distance)

Or this:
⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪
It looks like a game of "Connect 5". :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #102,654 of 150,767
I just got back to civilization after 2 weeks of vacation. I am seeing rumors/speculation on a new Valhalla. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #102,656 of 150,767
If you already have an Yggdrasil, you can choose:
  • To upgrade to Yggdrasil+. This means sending your Yggy in to us. We won’t be sending these chassis upgrades out, sorry. Though if you want the old chassis back, we’ll be happy to send it to you if you pay the shipping. It’s yours if you want it.

The engineers among us would still love the option to order a bag of parts!

I'd be happy to accept that all risk is on me and that there's no warranty extension. The real motivation here is that I'm in Canada, and two way shipping is EXPENSIVE and a huge PITA. It would probably cost be $350 just to send it back to you.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #102,658 of 150,767
Se7en.
Well done but jeez. I never want to see that again.

Other disturbing movies if you’re into that:
Kids
Requiem for a Dream

Ah, Requiem for a Dream. First, there was the What? glance from Tyrone...
maxresdefault.jpg

And then I had kinda this reaction...
Requiem-For-A-Dream-Sara-600x338.jpg

When I watched Harry doing this.
requiem-for-dream-hd-wallpapers-arm-250099387.jpg

Loved watching the fridge come to life, too.

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #102,659 of 150,767
More schiit is for sure in the future, Nitsch Magni Piety, Modi Multibit 2 will be hard to ignore in the short term.
Yes!!

I hope gumby gets a similar treatment to yggy with a plus model, with the addition of autonomy. It would be really cool to see gumby with some TI cards.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #102,660 of 150,767
I said something along those lines. My birthday pressy to me last year was the LG 77" OLED and I have to say that it is fantastic. One thing it does is to work with the receiver and automatically into Dolby Vision - so no adjustment color fiddling etc.

Now if only it would not taunt me by switching to a different input each time it's turned on.
If I ever update it will most likely be to an LG OLED in the 85 - 90" range if they ever make one that isn't the price of a car...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back