Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #102,616 of 151,274
As far as scary older films, The Shining, Psycho, even Jaws. I loved Alien
as well, the original is always so good and tough to duplicate. I should also mention The Omen.
When I saw the film "Jaws" (I had read the book in one day) it scared me out of the water. Which is fine since I can not swim any way. Yup. A total wimp am I. :beerchug:

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #102,617 of 151,274
When I saw the film "Jaws" (I had read the book in one day) it scared me out of the water. Which is fine since I can not swim any way. Yup. A total wimp am I. :beerchug:

Same here, saw it when I was 7, I was too scared to swim in my aunt's backyard pool...

Seven scared the heck out of me "what's in the box"?

Silence of the lambs was very disturbing as well

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #102,618 of 151,274
Same here, saw it when I was 7, I was too scared to swim in my aunt's backyard pool...

Seven scared the heck out of me "what's in the box"?

Silence of the lambs was very disturbing as well

Se7en.
Well done but jeez. I never want to see that again.

Other disturbing movies if you’re into that:
Kids
Requiem for a Dream

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #102,619 of 151,274
When I saw the film "Jaws" (I had read the book in one day) it scared me out of the water.
As a kid my family went to the ocean once and when we were all standing in the water I scared my mother by intonating the beginning of the Jaws soundtrack.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #102,620 of 151,274
I no longer own a sub but it's something that I plan to get in the next few months. SVS and Rythmik are on the short list.
Hi Roy, I just installed a pair of REL T/9x subs, pairing with my B&W 804 D3s and the Tyr monoblocks.
I was looking at SVS, but a friend uses B&W and REL equipment in his studio (and in his home systems), and he convinced me.

When he heard my 804/REL combo, about two hours into the burn-in, he said: "Sounds like you've upgraded to 801s!".
Since he listens to 801 D3s all day long, I was... blown away.

First thing about REL is the high-level integration. Not sure what magic they are using, but it is seamless.
Second thing about the REL is the high-level integration. Oh, did I say that, already?

I am not sure what smoke-based magic makes this work, but the RELs are sensing what's going to the main speakers, measured at the amplifier terminals.
Then, it integrates these data into a drive signal for the sub's driver, based on the crossover freq, level and phasing that you set.
It works like magic. Sounds like the 804s grew woofers. The timing and phasing are perfect.

More to come when they are broken in. I will post a more detailed story soonest.

I guess my first message is: "Don't forget REL!"

My next message is: "OMG Yggy is King: he makes all digital sources sound SO good (and he is going to get upgraded to a "+", just because I want a black chassis)."

My third message is: Tyr is a Monster, but it's a loveable Monster. The system is singing; so much dynamic headroom - it's just crazy. I am amazed at how the main speakers have been 'freed up', especially considering since there is no low-pass filter in play; they are doing what they've always done, just augmented by the pair of RELs.

/ds

p.s. - I am no longer thinking about upgrading the 804s to a pair of 802s. It is simply not necessary with a pair of T/9x subs.
p.p.s - Thank you REL for saving me $25k because the 802 D4 has a MSRP of $28k (and the pair o'RELs cost $3k). Money well spent.
p.p.p.s. - my neighbors are going to hate me. :p

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #102,621 of 151,274
https://sublimeacoustic.com/products/k231-stereo-3-way-active-crossover

I don’t know if the product above would serve your needs or not. It can be configured as a 2 or 3 way active crossover. The drawback being that the crossover points being adjustable by swapping crossover cards.

I prefer running the mains full range, and augmenting the bass with the sub. I’m a bit of a minimalist, I don’t want any extra circuitry in the signal path going to the mains. Unfortunately, that includes EQ’s. It’s a personal quirk. On the other hand, I have zero qualms about EQing the heck out of the signal going to the sub. I may not be normal, that’s why I’m here! :sunglasses:
I own that very device, S/N 0001. Mark has been amazing w/r/t support and config assistance. Don't dismiss the card concept; they are cheap and it works like a dream.

As I am not using my K231, I would normally consider selling it, but... it's S/N 0001. So sorry, I can't. :) You won't be sorry if you purchase one, though.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #102,622 of 151,274
Interesting changes to the button / lights layout and new NOS / phase control.
But, will the X8 light up now?
Not yet. Maybe after Urd ships, but not a definite.
Jason mentioned this in this video: at around 23m38s.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #102,623 of 151,274
That sounds so amazing! In my 2023 budget I can do one of two upgrades:
  • 2x Tyr (up from 2x Vidar) or
  • 1x Yggdrasil+ (up from 1x Modius)
The components are connected to B&W 803 D3 speakers and a Freya+ (picture can be seen here). Any advice you can give me? Which one would give me more bang for the buck, quality wise?
Tyr Monoblocks. Those B&Ws will come to life. I have 804 D3s, and I went from monoblock Vidars to Tyrs. Day and night. Black and white. Absolutely stunning. Do it!
If you don't believe me, ping @ArmchairPhilosopher.

Then, get a Yggy. While I haven't heard Modius, I live with an OG Yggy A2 every day. It is the closest thing to the Weiss DAC that I have ever heard, and it's 1/6th the price.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #102,624 of 151,274
Another comment on Gumby. My A1 version felt a little laid back in my system (with speakers that were also a tad laid back). Then I got the right system match (for me) with Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers and then MA Studio speakers with the ribbon tweeter.

The open nature of the ribbon combined with the natural presentation from the Gumby makes for a good combo.
Similarly, Gumby makes for a great DAC with OTL tube amplification and ZMF headphones. Insanely great, really.

Somehow these three components work together like peanut butter, jelly, and chocolate. Wait- like chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Yeah, that’s it.

I will always count my blessings that I have a Gumby, now that it faces an uncertain future.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #102,625 of 151,274
Thank you for confirming this. Over here in "northern" Europe the Tyr will add a nice warmth that my heating bill is going to thank me for :wink:
Philipp, my Tyrs don't ever get any warmer than ~30 C in normal use; absolute max ~35 C. Sorry. They won't augment your heating plant, but then, nor will they challenge your aircon... :)

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #102,626 of 151,274
I'm definitely a PQ first and for me nothing beats plasma for doing movies shot on film but never having spent any real time with 4K I may change my mind.
Given my recent hearing issues sound is of little consequence to me anymore as long as dialog is clear. When I move to 4K a sound bar will be more than adequate for my ears. My entire collection of over 1500 movies is on physical media.

I have a 49 inch plasma that is the base model of Panasonics upper tier models from 2010-11 and a 65 inch 4k LG OLED CX1 TV from 2020/21.

I prefer the plasma for sports, especially hockey, and movies. I dont think its a resolution fight, 4k is stunning. But the 4k tv often seems oversaturated, artificial, and for sports, slow & blurry. 600 hz vs 120 hz will do that.

I recently bought another chromecast, 4k version, so I think this will provide an apples to apples comparison, and allow me to dial in a few screen settings. Low light, bright room, sports/gaming. My Panasonic is a dumb tv and uses chromecast. With the built in streamer on the LG every app jumps to different screen settings, and that's beyond frustrating. Having 2 Chromecasts will be nice.

4k has an edge in technical specs, but the implementation & optimization is critical..

My brother still has and enjoys his 1080p Plasma. I bought he and his wife a new 4K TV but he turned it down. I visited him and agree. The screen on his Plasma is still stunning. I did how ever upgrade his home stereo from an Onkyo I bought them 3 or 4 years ago to a Denon with HEOS.

That home stereo makes the experience soo much better.

I’m a little bummed about this Yggy update. I got the GS because it was the cheapest best option (and I’m cheap) but with the idea that I could upgrade to OG and Unison for slightly less than the cost of new OG.

But the new chassis is pretty damn sexy and I would actually use the remote control to switch between my disc spinner and my RPi. I totally get the cost but this Schiit adds up quick! Plus I still want Tyr and all together that’s $5K!
I know, I know. First world problems.

You can likely sell your GS yggy for close to what you paid for it, even after todays announcement. I doubt yggys dropped in value after today. The yggy + is a great value add for new, especially with inflation, props to schiit.. The upgrade from OG to OG + is a great option, but to add unison, silver chassis, tax and shipping, I will likely be in for 899 or more on the upgrade. think it makes more sense, for me, to just save the 899 or so, and work towards a yggy + LIM or maybe just buy an Aegir, and sell my Vidar..

More schiit is for sure in the future, Nitsch Magni Piety, Modi Multibit 2 will be hard to ignore in the short term.

I hope gumby gets a similar treatment to yggy with a plus model, with the addition of autonomy. It would be really cool to see gumby with some TI cards.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #102,627 of 151,274
That sounds so amazing! In my 2023 budget I can do one of two upgrades:
  • 2x Tyr (up from 2x Vidar) or
  • 1x Yggdrasil+ (up from 1x Modius)
The components are connected to B&W 803 D3 speakers and a Freya+ (picture can be seen here). Any advice you can give me? Which one would give me more bang for the buck, quality wise?

Im an advocate for upgrading the weakest link. Enjoy the new sound, get used to it, then after a period of time, set by you, upgrade the next weakest link..

I haven't heard modius, but I own many other schiit dacs. (Fulla 3, modi 3, modi multibit, bifrost 4490, bifrost 2 OG, Gungnir A2 Unison, Yggy OG A2 gen 5)

I would upgrade your DAC, to yggy or gumby, or bifrost, and then jump to Tyrs when you are able...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #102,630 of 151,274
I have a very modest amount of stick time in XR993 which was in Red Arrows markings. There was some debate about whether 993 had actually been on the team or not. However, it was one of those 'most fun you can have with your clothes on' experiences.
xr993-stathan-190804.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back