Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #102,406 of 150,577
Too be more correct, the various countries/empires that conquered Great Britain through the centuries (Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Normans, etc.) "created" the original words which were "Anglicized"... or as I sometimes explain to English as an Additional Language students, "English is a Lego Language and the colours don't always match".
Worst part is when people take a file to good LEGO pieces to make stuff fit and ruin it. There was some interesting spelling changes trying to make it "Latin" adding silent letters (doubt, debt, and so on).

Nov 7, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #102,407 of 150,577
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #102,408 of 150,577
Has anyone actually heard both the Less Is More Yiggy and the OG Yiggy? It seems that It seems most commenters purchased one based on other people's comments.

I am trying a make a decision. The three reviewers who attended the blind testing and have their reviews included on the Schiit website are so contradictory.

This is not easy.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #102,409 of 150,577
Does anyone hear listen to SACD discs or stream DSD audio? DSD streaming seems the more straightforward of the 2. Easier to implement, with a USB DSD capable DAC.

But, what about SACD discs? The waters start to get murky. To me, more difficult to support. One can buy a CD/SACD player, and use it's RCA analog outputs. But, can I add a DSD DAC to a player? If so, how? DSD doesn't stream through S/PDIF. HDMI supports DSD, but not much DAC support for HDMI. Do I use an AVR and forget about better sound? Rip my small SACD collection and use a USB DAC? Or is there a 3rd option I'm not aware of? Something simple that I'm missing?
Find a used Oppo UDP.
PS Audio makes a player and dac but they’re not cheap. Maybe a used one.

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #102,410 of 150,577
Has anyone actually heard both the Less Is More Yiggy and the OG Yiggy? It seems that It seems most commenters purchased one based on other people's comments.

I am trying a make a decision. The three reviewers who attended the blind testing and have their reviews included on the Schiit website are so contradictory.

This is not easy.
Choice is making it difficult for you. Buy one and be happy. Or.... buy all versions and pick one you like. Haha.
I did buy a Bifrost 2/64 btw, less trouble to make a decision.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #102,411 of 150,577
Hello all,

Which Schiit headphone amp will pair well with a First Watt F4 ?

The F4 "needs a preamp that has voltage gain - a passive preamp or buffer will not drive an F4. This amp has no voltage gain so works best when paired with an active preamp that has reasonable gain."

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #102,413 of 150,577
133 days, then. So only slightly longer than the one to two days that some around here insisted it would take to sell out.
Yeah. I'll own up to the fact that I was one of those that thought it would be a very brief availability. I suspect that its slower than I expected sales was due to the fact that some here are unselfish and wanted to give those not flush with cash the opportunity to save-up and buy an FV. Thanks to the kind folks that generously set a self-imposed FV moratorium. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #102,414 of 150,577
Folkvangr has been officially removed from the Schiit website. I assume the Golden Sound interview moved the last few units out the door.
I certainly have no 'buyer's remorse' after buying one of these bonkers amps and entering the mad world of tubes for the first time:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #102,416 of 150,577

This is not easy.
That's why I bought the OG — and never looked back.

LiM or MiL could be the bee's knees, but I'll never know. The way Jason decided to market the three flavors was nothing short of cruel, considering that most of us can't just drive to the Schiitr to audition all three. That guy's a sadist if I ever saw one. 🤣
So I decided to "punish" Schiit by buying the most expensive one. 🤪

But all kidding aside, there's really no other way he could have marketed it. Schiit doesn't do impressions—and for good reasons; as the reviews you mentioned provide, impressions are just waaaaaaay too subjective to be helpful at all—so short of just picking one and kill off the other two, doing it the way they did was pretty much the best way to go.

I chose the OG because I had enough experience with other AD-based multibit products by that point that I could be certain enough that I'll definitely like the OG's sound. I knew that even if LiM or MiL end up to sound better to my ears, at least I won't dislike the OG.

In the end, I loved the OG's sound so much that I never gave auditioning LiM or MiL a second thought, even though I've been at or near the Schiitr quite a few times since.

That said, I have since bought a 2/64 card (Bifrost's equivalent of "LiM", if you will) for my Bifrost 2, because when I played around with a 2/64 at the Schiitr last time I was there, I ended up liking the way it sounded quite a bit more than Bifrost 2. But that's with the caveat that Bifrost 2 has always been my least favorite multibit DAC because of a number of sonic shortcomings that the OG doesn't have. (To me, Bifrost 2 sounds quite veiled, narrow, and a bit flat. Yggy OG (and Gumby, for that matter) is the polar opposite to that.)

I've been contemplating buying the LiM "upgrade" to try in Yggy within my own chain for a little while (which would be the best way to check out what it sounds like without changing too many other variables), but I'm sufficiently happy with my OG that I'm not even curious enough anymore for it to outweigh the rather small annoyance of having to open the thing up to replace the cards and EEPROM. 😅

And to not experience any nervosa about alternative flavors? To me, at least as far as my own ears are concerned, that's as good a sign as any that I chose the right one.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #102,417 of 150,577
Question for the assembled crowd...

If I use both single-ended outputs from my Gumby simultaneously (only one to a powered-on amp at a time, but leaving both plugged in), will I lose volume and/or degrade the analog signal?

More details - currently on my desk, I have a Gumby which sends its balanced outputs to a Mjolnir 2, and one pair of SE outputs to a Nobsound TPA3116 (I know, hilarious, a $1000 DAC feeding a $30 speaker amp, but it works great in nearfield). I'm adding a Folkvangr (don't worry, eventually my FV and MJ2 will live in different rooms). While I'm experimenting, what are the downsides to keeping the Nobsound connected to one pair of SE outputs, and the FV to the other set of SE outputs? I'm fairly confident based on reading that having both balanced and 1 set of SE outputs connected at the same time doesn't hurt. But I think that having both sets of SE outputs connected at the same time may present a combined parallel load to the SE op-amps. Wondering what others would do. Obivously I can try it, but would be helpful to understand the theory / benefit from others' experience.

I've seen some discussion of this here, and some on that other forum that Stevie H runs and some on the place where the friends of bestiness hang out, but I can't find an exactly analagous question. THanks.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #102,418 of 150,577
I certainly have no 'buyer's remorse' after buying one of these bonkers amps and entering the mad world of tubes for the first time:beyersmile:
Spend enough time with tube amplifiers and pre-amps and you may see why some of us use very little else. :ksc75smile: I do want to listen to various tube DAC's but getting those together in one spot is taking longer than expected.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #102,419 of 150,577
Question for the assembled crowd...

If I use both single-ended outputs from my Gumby simultaneously (only one to a powered-on amp at a time, but leaving both plugged in), will I lose volume and/or degrade the analog signal?

More details - currently on my desk, I have a Gumby which sends its balanced outputs to a Mjolnir 2, and one pair of SE outputs to a Nobsound TPA3116 (I know, hilarious, a $1000 DAC feeding a $30 speaker amp, but it works great in nearfield). I'm adding a Folkvangr (don't worry, eventually my FV and MJ2 will live in different rooms). While I'm experimenting, what are the downsides to keeping the Nobsound connected to one pair of SE outputs, and the FV to the other set of SE outputs? I'm fairly confident based on reading that having both balanced and 1 set of SE outputs connected at the same time doesn't hurt. But I think that having both sets of SE outputs connected at the same time may present a combined parallel load to the SE op-amps. Wondering what others would do. Obivously I can try it, but would be helpful to understand the theory / benefit from others' experience.

I've seen some discussion of this here, and some on that other forum that Stevie H runs and some on the place where the friends of bestiness hang out, but I can't find an exactly analagous question. THanks.
In general it is fine to connect all outputs of a device to an input at the same time. The only time this a potential problem is if one or more of the amplifiers or preamps you connect to has too low input impedance. I know nothing about "Nobsound" but I am always warry of cheap Chinese chip amps...

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #102,420 of 150,577
Spend enough time with tube amplifiers and pre-amps and you may see why some of us use very little else. :ksc75smile: I do want to listen to various tube DAC's but getting those together in one spot is taking longer than expected.
I am sure you are right @Paladin79

However, I am going to resist temptation for now, having entered both the vinyl, and tube, rabbit holes in the last 6 months.

I might be 'saved' by having active speakers, with built-in, solid state, power amps (ATC SCM 100 ASLs) which means that replacing power amps is really not an option.

My speakers are not going anywhere!
I had coveted some active ATCs for almost 20 years, before finally being able to afford a pair in 2007, so the only other tube amp I would consider is a preamp.

I did try the original Freya, but didn't like its tube output, so I sent it back and bought the Freya S when it was released.

I know that the Freya+ is a far 'better' design, but I think I'll stick with what I have.... for now!

The combination of Freya S and the ATCs sounds fantastic (to these old ears) and I have the Folkvangr for the 'tube experience' with headphones.:beyersmile:

One balanced, tube preamp which looks interesting, is PS Audio's BHK Signature Preamp, but it is £6.5k here in the UK :astonished:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back