Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 2, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #102,196 of 150,362
My Folkvanger drives (amongst others) a pair of $200 HD6XX, and though some in the FV thread are amused by that I (and others) find the combination excellent.
It better be!
My HD6xx are driven or by a Hidizs S8 or Vali2/Topping D10 and both are also an excellent combination. The Fulla2 also works but not that great.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #102,197 of 150,362
Wait….at close to redline in 5th gear you’re only at 40 mph? Seems like you need 5 more gears. :sweat_smile:

The RX8 will do 140 mph with a good bit of tach left***. Unfortunately at that speed it doesn’t have any torque left.

*** a friend told me. I would never do that myself, of course. :smirk:
Okay well, red line in the other gears on the way to 5th. I think the gear limited top speed of a 91 Miata would be well above 120, but the drag limitation really kicks in around 110. Uh...not that I'd know.

I wouldn't mind a super tall 6th gear, though. Indicated 70mph is something like 4000 RPM.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #102,198 of 150,362
Hey guys!

Big fan of Schiit's products.
Somehow I bring them to Brazil and resell.
It's working well for me.

I see tube preamps being used/recommended for speaker amps/mono blocks to power hungry planars like Susvara/1266/HE6 all the time.
It became a fantasy to me to be able to listen to a chain like that one day.
Well, I have the opportunity right now, with the chain in my signature, just waiting for a Freya+ to be 🤯

What do you guys think of this idea?
Is it too crazy to have a chain like that for $449 headphones (https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t)?

Thanks in advance,
Gui
You're fine... the HE6SEV2 is considered one of the best value hp's out there, with the caveat that you need a lot of power to unlock. If you have the juice most in that forum consider it comparable to the 1500-2500 range competition. I use one with a Jot 2 in XLR, which is the minimum and most affordable route for that pair.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #102,199 of 150,362
Okay well, red line in the other gears on the way to 5th. I think the gear limited top speed of a 91 Miata would be well above 120, but the drag limitation really kicks in around 110. Uh...not that I'd know.

I wouldn't mind a super tall 6th gear, though. Indicated 70mph is something like 4000 RPM.
The first and only time that I hit the rev limiter on my '90, it scared the heck out of me. I thought I had seriously damaged the motor. I drive much more sedately now, mostly.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #102,200 of 150,362
My Folkvanger drives (amongst others) a pair of $200 HD6XX, and though some in the FV thread are amused by that I (and others) find the combination excellent.

Pending the release of the next tranche of hobby funds (*) and the purchase of a ZMF, I'm almost entirely listening to the Folkvangr with some Senn HD-650s. Swapped in 2 NOS Tungsram E88CC's. The FV has really elevated the 650s. I'm listening to that combo much more than I'm listening to the various Stax Lambdas that were previously my normal go-tos.

* the ZMF fund was depleted/delayed by the purchase of the FV. I just felt in my bones that would be a "do it, or regret your decision forever" opportunity. The more I listen, the more I feel that was one of my best audio decisions ever.

Last night's WOW event: Agnes Obel - Citizen of Glass.

(Oddly, I was clued into Agnes Obel and that album by the guy who sold me my current Stax amp.)

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #102,201 of 150,362
* the ZMF fund was depleted/delayed by the purchase of the FV. I just felt in my bones that would be a "do it, or regret your decision forever" opportunity. The more I listen, the more I feel that was one of my best audio decisions ever.
Ugh, I hit purchase on the b-stock Folkvangr and then couldn't cope with it that night and wrote and had them cancel it before it shipped. I'm going to be going back and forth. There are only 250, but it's a factor of 3x more expensive than any headphone amp I own, getting into my 2-channel main rig territory. Audio nervosa. What you said pushes me back towards saying "heck, let's do this". Which is probably a good thing. But I will definitely get a good sensible talking to.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #102,202 of 150,362
The best costume I've seen all day: Someone walking around as Santa.

You don't realize just how "wrong" that Santa costume is — until you actually see one in October. 😜
Must have been a programmer - it's well known that they can't tell the difference between DEC25 and OCT31.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #102,203 of 150,362
The first and only time that I hit the rev limiter on my '90, it scared the heck out of me. I thought I had seriously damaged the motor. I drive much more sedately now, mostly.
In trying to learn to drive in Manual mode -prior to hitting the racetrack in NV - the first time I inadvertently hit the limiter it scared the crap out of me. Took a few seconds to work out what was going on. Oh, flick that paddle........ :)

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #102,204 of 150,362
British BBQ is mainly inedible, but I do have some Romanian neighbours who BBQ regularly in the summer - on hardwood by the smell - ,intense sizzling sounds also suggest a cauldron of hot grease too , the mouth watering aromas when the breeze carries our way is torture 😋😋😋
I'm amazed, amazed I tell you, that you thought the description of British BBQ was necessary............ :xf_cool:

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #102,205 of 150,362
8CDE0352-A08C-443C-9E0C-7384450550D7.jpegB9290A71-7EF3-469D-B67E-704B127B062F.jpeg

Finnegan is helping me set up to run headphones from a power amp. The device works well and I am truly impressed. I am also running a tube preamp stage of my design along with a custom amp formerly known as the Cowen.😜😜 Finnegan is waiting his turn with the headphones.

Oh and thanks go out to FLTWS for selling me the Black Box device, I should have grabbed it when I visited but I did not know then that I really needed it.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #102,206 of 150,362
In trying to learn to drive in Manual mode -prior to hitting the racetrack in NV - the first time I inadvertently hit the limiter it scared the crap out of me. Took a few seconds to work out what was going on. Oh, flick that paddle........ :)
I essentially grew up with manual gearboxes (Germany, and all that jazz) and I can't understate how much fun it is to row your own gears on a back road or on a track.

That said, around town and in traffic, I wouldn't trade my "lazy 'Murican" automatic for anything.

So paddles are the way to go, I guess. Not nearly as fun as a stick and clutch, but more than enough to have a good time every once in a while. 😎

As for you getting scared by the rev limiter: Happens to the best of us. Before long, you'll simply start relying on your ears for when to shift. An engine is like a musical instrument, its pitch tells you when it wants you to shift. (My first car was a manual and didn't even have a rev gauge. Didn't need one, either. You simply drive by ear, it's all you ever need.)

Oh, and speaking about getting startled… The first time I ever drove an automatic, a minute or so in I rolled up to a red traffic light. Me, being used to a manual with clutch, with the left foot doing what the left foot does when you want to slow down to a halt in a manual, slammed the brake so hard I almost knocked myself out on the steering wheel. Good thing nobody was behind me… 😅
And yes, to this day, I still tend to stall a manual at least once after having driven only automatics for a while. Your left foot needs a few minutes to tap into that part of muscle memory. 😬

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #102,207 of 150,362
Wait….at close to redline in 5th gear you’re only at 40 mph? Seems like you need 5 more gears. :sweat_smile:

The RX8 will do 140 mph with a good bit of tach left***. Unfortunately at that speed it doesn’t have any torque left.

*** a friend told me. I would never do that myself, of course. :smirk:
Speed demon. I learned to drive a manual in a stock CJ3 in which 50 MPH is terminal velocity. What is this 'torque' you mentioned?
I grew up in a town that is 9604' above sea level. The fact that the Jeep could move under it's own power still impresses me.

CJ.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #102,208 of 150,362
I'm amazed, amazed I tell you, that you thought the description of British BBQ was necessary............ :xf_cool:
To review:

In Heaven -
The French are the cooks
The Germans are the engineers
The British are the waiters
The Swiss are the diplomats
The Italians are the lovers

In Hell -
The British are the cooks
The French are the waiters
The Italians are the engineers
The Germans are the diplomats
The Swiss are the lovers

Or something to that effect...

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #102,209 of 150,362
Actually, my mechanic that specializes in Miatas said to always shift at 4K and up for best performance.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #102,210 of 150,362
To review:

In Heaven -
The French are the cooks
The Germans are the engineers
The British are the waiters
The Swiss are the diplomats
The Italians are the lovers

In Hell -
The British are the cooks
The French are the waiters
The Italians are the engineers
The Germans are the diplomats
The Swiss are the lovers

Or something to that effect...
I see we Amuricans are left out. That is the case until the poo hits that fan and, as Norm MacDonald would say, the only country that worries me is Germany. :beerchug:
I think it is the beer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back