Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 4, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #100,606 of 149,496
:rolling_eyes: That Grauniad is a great example of their supercilious silliness that keeps me from ever sending them any money. They go find some willpower-depleted subjects who blame streaming for their lack of self-control, and then make that into a pretentious zeitgeist piece. Some of the best albums I've heard recently I found via streaming:

Ghosts, Michael Wollny
In These Times, Makaya McCraven
View With a Room, Julian Lage
New Seasons, Gidon Kremer/Kremerata Baltica (thanks to our resident philosopher)
The Song Is You, Enrico Rava/Michael Hersch
Americana, JD Allen
Valse Sinistre, Billy Drummond
Saudade, Plínio Fernandes
Mississippi Son, Charlie Musselwhite
The Spirit of Ntu, Nduduzo Makhathini
Afrikan Culture, Shabaka
All added to the test listening on Q - probably via modi-mb/FV/HD6xx in my office.

I love this stuff though based on previous experience only about 15% them will stay in my library.

Cheers

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #100,608 of 149,496
Yep, good ears are essential. Back in the late 80's I did a lot of engineer work in several small recording studios in the SF Bay Area. We always had five or six different loudspeaker setups to test mixes on a variety of systems, and the only thing we used measurements for was to keep the levels from going too far into the red. :) One producer I liked working with would burn a quick cassette of whatever we were mixing and go out to listen to it in his car. He'd almost always come back with a few tweaks that needed done. I also knew a guy with genuine "golden ears" who could stop a recording session with, "The rhythm guitarist's E string is slightly sharp" or some such comment. He'd always be right.

I find this fascinating. I need an electronic tuner to tune my electric guitar. I could never do it by ear.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #100,609 of 149,496
I find this fascinating. I need an electronic tuner to tune my electric guitar. I could never do it by ear.
It's actually rather easy to hear when the tuning is a bit off, as long as you have other instruments that are properly tuned playing at the same time. The resulting dissonance will jump out at you like a bottle of North Carolina barbecue sauce at a Texan cookout, even when the tuning of one instrument is off by just a tiny bit.

But yeah, with just a single guitar, I can hear if something's off, but I would have to focus on it pretty hard to be able to tell you which string, and I wouldn't be able to tell you by how much it might be off.

Perfect pitch, I do not have. But detecting even just the slightest dissonance between instruments? I guarantee that pretty much everybody can do that. People can here that "something is off" even if they don't quite know what exactly, why exactly, or how to describe whatever it is they hear.

Just listen to any non-professional orchestra out there (and also a shockingly non-trivial fraction of the professional ones) and you will immediately know what I mean.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #100,610 of 149,496
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #100,611 of 149,496
Mine does the same thing, but only when using USB input. It happens very infrequently when using coax input
I was primarily using the optical input on mine at the time. I didn't test if other inputs worked better.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #100,612 of 149,496
Mine does the same thing, but only when using USB input. It happens very infrequently when using coax input
My Modi Multibit does this on coax and optical every once in a while. My solution is to plug it into an APC power strip so it powers on when I switch on my Freya S, which is plugged into the master outlet.

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #100,613 of 149,496
Just listen to any non-professional orchestra out there (and also a shockingly non-trivial fraction of the professional ones) and you will immediately know what I mean.
+1. I will add to that short list most middle and high school bands and orchestras. I am glad the kids are learning music, but holy hell can they be painful to listen to.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #100,614 of 149,496
+1. I will add to that short list most middle and high school bands and orchestras. I am glad the kids are learning music, but holy hell can they be painful to listen to.

Having been part of terrible, great, and middling bands & choirs as a kid. I cannot fully express how much the instructor/conductor/teacher matters.

Having the ability to get kids to eagerly show up to school at night, after sports practices, just to practice and learn jazz is something I still marvel at.

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #100,615 of 149,496
It's actually rather easy to hear when the tuning is a bit off, as long as you have other instruments that are properly tuned playing at the same time. The resulting dissonance will jump out at you like a bottle of North Carolina barbecue sauce at a Texan cookout, even when the tuning of one instrument is off by just a tiny bit.

But yeah, with just a single guitar, I can hear if something's off, but I would have to focus on it pretty hard to be able to tell you which string, and I wouldn't be able to tell you by how much it might be off.

Perfect pitch, I do not have. But detecting even just the slightest dissonance between instruments? I guarantee that pretty much everybody can do that. People can here that "something is off" even if they don't quite know what exactly, why exactly, or how to describe whatever it is they hear.

:thumbsup: Actually, the reverse would be just as shocking. The difference is, one would be a tragedy, the other would be a miracle.

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #100,616 of 149,496
My wife and I have just returned from eight days in Co. Cork, Ireland. It was fantastic!

It's been a long time since we've been there, because of COVID, so it was great to be back.

At an Antiques Shop in Kinsale, I spotted this working Technics system, which really made me smile.

(It wasn't for sale; it's what the owner uses to create 'ambience' in his shop)

No sign of any record cleaning machine here :beyersmile:

Attachments

• Kinsale Hi Fi 031022.JPG
    Kinsale Hi Fi 031022.JPG
    979.9 KB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #100,617 of 149,496
Today's vinyl..

Van Morrison Moondance
Doors , album by the same name
Desire by Bob Dylan
Abbey Road, White Album, Sgt. Peppers
Rumours

Tomorrow the Stones, Hollies, The Animals, Kinks, etc. Just exploring original purchases for now. I bought a few collections along the way but have not explored those yet.

I have an ultrasonic cleaning machine arriving tomorrow. :ksc75smile: It will also work for watch parts, jewelry, etc.

Oh and today I cleaned the stylus of a Grado G1+ I forgot I owned, hard telling how old it is but I do love the sound.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #100,619 of 149,496
I don't know what 1-bit magic they are building, but 1-bit designs that perform well are not simple, as this slide deck teaches, see slide 5 for the most basic 1-bit design from the 1990s, slide 28 for a block diagram of a better performing design. Indeed, the by far the most expensive DACs I own, built into Linn Klimax gear, use such a PWM-AFIR design, with a lot of the cost going into getting signal delays just right. Don't ask for detailed explanation, I'm only learning about this now and my DSP knowledge is very rusty.
I remember some of those diagrams from vibrations/controls class, and why there are no seats on the right side of a plane in Poland.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #100,620 of 149,496
Testing a few times from power-off cold this week, it seems to take my recently new Bifrost 2/64 about 120 minutes warmup to come into its own - for whatever reason.

Tomorrow have a drink before you turn Bifrost on, then see how long it takes for it to come into its own...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back