Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 4, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #100,621 of 151,179
Tomorrow have a drink before you turn Bifrost on, then see how long it takes for it to come into its own...:)

Hey, now that's always going to be a better test, and more fun too :cocktail: touché. My other well run-in R2R DAC normally takes 50-60m max in the same system.

Someone shared earlier they feel I "do not have enough time on the new BF 2/64 DAC", and to recheck what happens later after 14-30 days of use and constant power-on. Will defer to others here who report it has something to do with the r2r chips and design, taking more time to warm up or just "leave it on 24x7" instead. Sensitive to cable swaps too. Tried a few. In any case it does sound nicer compared to the first few hours.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #100,622 of 151,179
Tomorrow have a drink before you turn Bifrost on, then see how many drinks it takes for it to come into its own...:)
FTFY... (c) Bcowen

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #100,623 of 151,179
Speaking of music and drinks, tonight my wife and I opened my two channel system up with Wagner as we sipped fine whiskey. Finnegan took a chair right in the sweet spot and did not budge for two hours.🤪 Luckily I am not in an apartment nor do I have neighbors close by. Another of our cats was in the room but she could not handle the dynamic range like Finnegan.😉🤪

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #100,624 of 151,179
...Luckily I am not in an apartment nor do I have neighbors close by...
Enjoying my new place with multiple acres/over 1.5 hectare/over 15000 m2 since coworkers know land in acres/hectares/m2 based on origin country. No close neighbors has shift the amount of headphone listening to 3M Work Tunes doing yard work exclusively.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #100,625 of 151,179
Enjoying my new place with multiple acres/over 1.5 hectare/over 15000 m2 since coworkers know land in acres/hectares/m2 based on origin country. No close neighbors has shift the amount of headphone listening to 3M Work Tunes doing yard work exclusively.
Everyone on my street has one or two acres with woods behind us as well as limestone. Headphones are mostly what I do if my wife is watching television upstairs or reading a book. Sonus Fabers with REL subs can handle most anything I throw at them in my listening space.🤪

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #100,626 of 151,179
Speaking of music and drinks, tonight my wife and I opened my two channel system up with Wagner as we sipped fine whiskey. Finnegan took a chair right in the sweet spot an did not budge for two hours.🤪 Luckily I am not in an apartment nor do I have neighbors close by. Another of our cats was in the room but she could not handle the dynamic range like Finnegan.😉🤪
Tom's new hobby---breeding audiocats.

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #100,627 of 151,179
+1. I will add to that short list most middle and high school bands and orchestras. I am glad the kids are learning music, but holy hell can they be painful to listen to.
Amen. I have the curse of perfect pitch. And the sprout learnt the violin. Those were days… Not “THE” days, just days. Long ones.

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #100,628 of 151,179
Well, I haven't seen this mentioned here, so I'll toss the grenade... An article published in the Washington Post recently popped up on my news feed, but I didn't even look until today. It is the culmination of a reporters' yearlong search for 'The Perfect Sound'. (Not that THAT will raise any eyebrows or ire here...)

It's on the Post's site. Here's the photo lead, and no, I haven't read it yet.

Attachments

• PostAudiophileArticle.jpg
    PostAudiophileArticle.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #100,630 of 151,179
It is the culmination of a reporters' yearlong search for 'The Perfect Sound'.
But don't we all do that in one way or another?
The only thing that's wrong with that is that this reporter stopped searching after a year, apparently. Such a plebeian… 🙄

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #100,631 of 151,179
Having been part of terrible, great, and middling bands & choirs as a kid. I cannot fully express how much the instructor/conductor/teacher matters.

Having the ability to get kids to eagerly show up to school at night, after sports practices, just to practice and learn jazz is something I still marvel at.
As a current Middle school Choir, Band, and Orchestra teacher (19 years in!), I believe every group, at any level, should play together and in tune. Many of my colleagues pick too challenging of music and sacrifice pitch and musicianship. I work hard to make sure my beginning string and band groups create mature sounds. It isn’t easy because you have to be able to demonstrate that sound on 10+ instruments myself. It’s taken a long time to confidently do that!

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #100,632 of 151,179
As a current Middle school Choir, Band, and Orchestra teacher (19 years in!), I believe every group, at any level, should play together and in tune. Many of my colleagues pick too challenging of music and sacrifice pitch and musicianship. I work hard to make sure my beginning string and band groups create mature sounds. It isn’t easy because you have to be able to demonstrate that sound on 10+ instruments myself. It’s taken a long time to confidently do that!
That's got to be one of the most rewarding careers in the world. Band was my favorite class in middle- and high-school. :)

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #100,633 of 151,179
@ArmchairPhilosopher this is a bit late, but I’m glad you brought up your experience with the Bifrost and NOS mode. I have the 2/64 (bought as a regular 2 and then upgraded) going balanced into a Lokius to a Jot R and Raal SR1-A. I think I have decent ears, but I can’t hear any difference between normal and NOS. I thought I was going crazy or the differences were being overblown here. I’m going to try single ended and see if that changes anything.

Oct 5, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #100,634 of 151,179
@nojwe @ArmchairPhilosopher this is a bit late, but I’m glad you brought up your experience with the Bifrost and NOS mode. I have the 2/64 (bought as a regular 2 and then upgraded) going balanced into a Lokius to a Jot R and Raal SR1-A. I think I have decent ears, but I can’t hear any difference between normal and NOS. I thought I was going crazy or the differences were being overblown here. I’m going to try single ended and see if that changes anything.

@nojwe On my recently new BF 2/64 the difference between NOS mode and the digital Megacomboburrito filter activated is overly obvious on my system. It's too much of a good thing for my setup. The MCB digital filter behaves like it adds substantial bass, more upper treble, more air, sound stage comes forward a tad too much for my taste, and can even be a little grainy on some tracks. It's just too much for my system with dual stereo subs and larger speakers. Back to the NOS mode I go every time. NOS mode is much closer to neutral, flat, more enjoyable and the sound stage sets back to a more natural position which I prefer in my particular system. I have other R2R dacs I'm comparing to, fwiw. Just another point of reference if it helps.
----
Edit: a buddy contacted me today indicating he read a different review where people "could not barely tell little difference between NOS or MCB/Digital filter". Not sure what to say. I hear what I hear with my BF 2/64, my system, speakers, cables, in my room. Not sure what others do/dont/can't hear.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #100,635 of 151,179
Happy Teacher Day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back