Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #100,036 of 150,285
Let's see…
- No CarPlay or Android Auto support. — And I wouldn't hold my breath, considering that they are a) "investigating support" for those, which is marketing speak for "we really don't want to, so let's wait and see how annoying users get over this before we commit any effort to it," and b) Roon is written for .net (a set of libraries that are not native to the platforms they run on), and at least for CarPlay (but potentially also Android Auto) they would have to re-implement at least the UI and some code in Swift using native libraries — something they completely lack any institutional know-how for right now.
- Offline-listening for local content only (i.e. not for any Tidal or Qobuz content)

In short: A major release (going from 1.8 to 2.0) for a feature that a TON of people asked for for years — which is fair — but that received — in typical Roon fashion — an implementation that is half-assed and unfinished at best. And probably buggy as all hell, too, for the next three to six months, if past experiences are any indication.

More new lipstick on the same old pig. They either can't do better, or they don't have to. Either way, it's really time they get some serious competition in the field.

(The usual disclaimer applies whenever I post something about Roon: I appreciate that some of you love this thing, and I'm glad that you do. More power to you. But as a seasoned software developer with a strong background in quality control and UI/UX design, the standards that I apply to the software I want to use personally are admittedly brutal, but still fair. I know how much better something like Roon could be done, for considerably less money than they ask for. And that just angers me.)
I've experienced no bugs, the early access support thread was uneventful. But that is probably due to the simplicity.

And I doubt that Qobuz and Tidal/ record labels will allow 3rd party downloads.

I've also been able to play over USB whilst using Android Auto.... I'm happy with it so far.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #100,037 of 150,285
Is this Siemens E88CC still usable? Asking for a friend 😜

Attachments

• 9F353896-A8F8-4232-A32F-0E04A221DCED.jpeg
    9F353896-A8F8-4232-A32F-0E04A221DCED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #100,039 of 150,285
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #100,040 of 150,285
A question, a comment and a recommendation.

What are the recommended Schiit options for the Grado GS1000e? No preference between SS and tube. I am currently using an old Audio Alchemy HPA-1 class A SS amp.

My quick impression of my speaker system that uses a RPi/Digi + Pro HAT streamer to a Yggy LiM, then a Saga S, to an Aegir to Klipsch Chorus (OG). All I can say is that this combination gets me lost in the music. Fantastic.

Recent new fave album if you like prog rock - The Pineapple Thief's Nothing But The Truth from 2021. Exceptionally well recorded, very musical and for those that keep track, amazing dynamic range for a rock album. I measured a DR 12 for the album using the foobar plug in. Also, if you like fantastic stick men, Gavin Harrison is their current drummer.
1663708750309.png

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #100,041 of 150,285
Some audiophiles use tinker toys. They work!

Leo
Someone's REALLY GOTTA GET CREATIVE and make some Lego Cable Lifters! Get your artistic mojo on, people!

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #100,043 of 150,285
Someone's REALLY GOTTA GET CREATIVE and make some Lego Cable Lifters! Get your artistic mojo on, people!
Now this is my next project. But not sure if I have enough yellow bricks. 😁

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #100,044 of 150,285
Let's see…
- No CarPlay or Android Auto support. — And I wouldn't hold my breath, considering that they are a) "investigating support" for those, which is marketing speak for "we really don't want to, so let's wait and see how annoying users get over this before we commit any effort to it," and b) Roon is written for .net (a set of libraries that are not native to the platforms they run on), and at least for CarPlay (but potentially also Android Auto) they would have to re-implement at least the UI and some code in Swift using native libraries — something they completely lack any institutional know-how for right now.
- Offline-listening for local content only (i.e. not for any Tidal or Qobuz content)

In short: A major release (going from 1.8 to 2.0) for a feature that a TON of people asked for for years — which is fair — but that received — in typical Roon fashion — an implementation that is half-assed and unfinished at best. And probably buggy as all hell, too, for the next three to six months, if past experiences are any indication.

More new lipstick on the same old pig. They either can't do better, or they don't have to. Either way, it's really time they get some serious competition in the field.

(The usual disclaimer applies whenever I post something about Roon: I appreciate that some of you love this thing, and I'm glad that you do. More power to you. But as a seasoned software developer with a strong background in quality control and UI/UX design, the standards that I apply to the software I want to use personally are admittedly brutal, but still fair. I know how much better something like Roon could be done, for considerably less money than they ask for. And that just angers me.)
Get to it!

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #100,045 of 150,285
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #100,046 of 150,285
Let's see…

Worked perfectly for me.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #100,047 of 150,285
Let's see…

I'm listening to Qobuz right now on my iPhone.....

Leo

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #100,048 of 150,285
Roon is written for .net (a set of libraries that are not native to the platforms they run on), and at least for CarPlay (but potentially also Android Auto) they would have to re-implement at least the UI and some code in Swift using native libraries — something they completely lack any institutional know-how for right now.
A bit misleading; M/S and Zamarin's CLR libraries themselves are not native to any given O/S, but the runtimes are. We could say the same thing about PHP, Swift, JRE, or even Flash

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/maui/what-is-maui

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #100,050 of 150,285
Is this Siemens E88CC still usable? Asking for a friend 😜
sell it on eBay as "rare one of a kind", check the Item Condition box as "Not Working - For Parts or Repair Only" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(disclaimer: meant as a joke only, I DO NOT recommend selling this to someone, could end very badly)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back