Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #99,661 of 152,569
I can only imagine the amount of cables you must have lol
I like choices.🤪 I drive home tomorrow and then I will decide on which cables to use this weekend if all goes well. Often I use Mogami cable with some top of the line Neutrik connectors.

I also need to build shelves for around 400 music CD’s, most all classical. That was a weak link in my music collection.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #99,662 of 152,569
I like choices.🤪 I drive home tomorrow and then I will decide on which cables to use this weekend if all goes well. Often I use Mogami cable with some top of the line Neutrik connectors.

I also need to build shelves for around 400 music CD’s, most all classical. That was a weak link in my music collection.
Now to start a flame war.... what's your option on audioquest. I use there cables personally and have no issues with them but if i can sell the ones i have and get better (sound) quality for less money then I may just do that lol. Mogami (worlds best cables) is what i originally used when I ran single ended and liked the quality of them.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #99,663 of 152,569
just got my Jot 2, haven’t had much time to use it but I like it but I’m severely disappointed in QC. I’ll let you see for your self what the issue is, I would expect this from C stock

Sound wise though holy crap this amp has power. Only had like 5 min free so still have a lot of listening to do. But I’ll prob have to exchange this unit that I’m pissed about that.

Is there a warm up peroid with these amps in general heat wise and what about break in?
Jotun-HEE-HEE
hee hee.jpg

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #99,664 of 152,569
Now to start a flame war.... what's your option on audioquest. I use there cables personally and have no issues with them but if i can sell the ones i have and get better (sound) quality for less money then I may just do that lol. Mogami (worlds best cables) is what i originally used when I ran single ended and liked the quality of them.
Sorry but I best avoid that discussion.😉
Often you get into what someone hears or believes they hear, that is not an argument you can win.😀

It sounds like you have heard both types of cables so that is a choice you should make. Have someone swap or not swap them while you are blindfolded and see if you can correctly pick one over the other in say ten attempts. Just a thought.😉

If you no longer have Mogami I can loan you some.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #99,665 of 152,569
Yes, the lower posts are the low frequency terminals on the 804 D3s. The upper posts feed the midrange and the tweeter. I just said "why not?" and positioned them this way as a trial; I will move the main cable to the lower posts after I get a good solid listen under my belt... technically, it should not make a difference, right? - especially with such solid jumpers, but... this is audio, where all things are not as they seem. :sunglasses:

If there's a reason that they should be on the LF posts, please advise. I just got home from dinner with friends; the system has been playing at low volume for the last six hours (or so) and after a short listen, I'm pretty darn convinced that the OctoQuads were well worth the investment... more to come in the AM when I'm less giddy.

I've also heard recommended that you use the +Side High Input along with the -Side Low Input. Supposed to sound better (for whatever reason)? Something about the signal following a natural flow to ground. As long as it sounds good, that's all that matters. Simple enough to try as well. 😁

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #99,666 of 152,569
Dammit! Your post sent me bouncing around the internet, including the dreaded Google machine. The few places were a clear opinion was expressed indicate connecting the main speaker wires to the HF terminals then jumping to the LF terminals. Naturally I had my speakers wired to the LF terminal so I switched it around. I am not sure I hear a difference, and now I am trying to stave off an attack of audio nervosa. :scream_cat:
It's electrically the same, with VERY slight differences in resistance. If you actually heard a difference I'd be worried.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #99,667 of 152,569
Is there a warm up peroid with these amps in general heat wise and what about break in?
My opinion....the Jot 2 takes 20 or 30 minutes after turning on to sound "true" to it's form.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #99,668 of 152,569
I have a Pangea AC-9 and it is a very thick, impressive cable. It’s also a bit heavy and unwieldy. They’re well made but I follow Galen Garies of Iconoclast (by Belden) and here’s his analysis of power cords.

https://www.iconoclastcable.com/techpapers/bavpoweranalysis.pdf

Last year I happened to find a 75’ spool of 12/3 EPDM cable on eBay for $200. What a score! I think I paid more for all of the Marinco plugs I bought for all of the power cords I cut from that spool! I also ended up making a couple of power strips using heavy duty Hubbell outlets and the same wire internally.

The main thing I noticed was my system noise levels were virtually eliminated. Just dead quiet when no music was playing. It also helps running it all to an outlet next to the breaker panel. (I’m renting so it’s a homemade dedicated line.😉)

40E5874C-15AE-465A-B783-02F0AB07C833.jpeg
Interesting picture - I certainly find that in the UK ( 220-240 v 50hz ac ) from ring mains it definitely pays to use well made screened mains cables and blocks to keep noise at bay - especially from SMPS wall warts and LED lamps on the same ring main , and this pays double when cables are routed with care ! My DNM signal cables are unscreened and untwisted and really do react to close proximity to mains cable or even metal objects !!

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #99,669 of 152,569
It's electrically the same, with VERY slight differences in resistance. If you actually heard a difference I'd be worried.
I agree it shouldn't make a jots worth of difference BUT certainly with typical UK mains poor cables and cruddy mains blocks kill the dynamics - importantly you don't have to spend much to get well made mains cables and blocks - Tacima in the UK sell very modestly priced kit £30-£50 that are a substantial improvement on bundled leads .

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #99,671 of 152,569
I know there's a few Tekton users here so here's a new review. Yeah, Randy can be a bit much sometime but here ya go.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #99,672 of 152,569
Sorry but I best avoid that discussion.😉
Often you get into what someone hears or believes they hear, that is not an argument you can win.😀

It sounds like you have heard both types of cables so that is a choice you should make. Have someone swap or not swap them while you are blindfolded and see if you can correctly pick one over the other in say ten attempts. Just a thought.😉

If you no longer have Mogami I can loan you some
You can send me a PM of your opinion i'm honestly curious if is woo woo or whatever the term is lol. I could ask my partner to do a blindfold ab and that may get fun LMAO.

Part of me wonders if it's all placebo, even so its still an effect.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #99,673 of 152,569
Yeah, Randy can be a bit much sometime but here ya go.
I mean, who isn't… Honestly, the number of audio gear reviewers out there that aren't "a bit much sometimes" I can count on one hand.

It almost appears as if audio were a field that's filled to the brim with overly opinionated and argumentative men. Luckily, we all know that ain't true! 😎

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #99,675 of 152,569
I mean, who isn't… Honestly, the number of audio gear reviewers out there that aren't "a bit much sometimes" I can count on one hand.

It almost appears as if audio were a field that's filled to the brim with overly opinionated and argumentative men. Luckily, we all know that ain't true! 😎
I'd love to know who doesn't make your cut of "a bit much sometimes". The good (?) thing about youtoob is that there are choices. So many choices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back