Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #99,617 of 155,124
This'll fit in your jacket pocket: Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC/Amp, 1More Triple Driver IEMs w/Comply Foam tips and a set of Bowers & Wilkins PI7 wireless IEMs for those times when being wired just won't do. No PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 15 required; just a smartphone, laptop or iPad streaming Tidal. <g>
I have Moondrop Kxxx, which I like, and UE TripleFi 10s, which I love, though they are, well, large. Both sound great on Vali2, but brilliant on the IE Magni . I carry Vali 2 because it drives the planars that are in the same box, as well as the aforementioned IEMs, which are also in said box.

But for the jacket pocket, it's solely a FiiO X5 III and one of those IEMs. I've never found a time where I either A: couldn't deal with a cord, or B: COULD deal with BT. But that's me!

I've a friend with the Cobalt. I'll ask and see if I can borrow or at least have a listen! TY

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #99,618 of 155,124
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #99,619 of 155,124
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #99,620 of 155,124
Someone needs to buy the b-stock pair of Tyr amps before I do!
Won’t be me…this time… Damn, those would be pretty in my basement theatre/music room!

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #99,621 of 155,124
I have a Pangea AC-9 and it is a very thick, impressive cable. It’s also a bit heavy and unwieldy. They’re well made but I follow Galen Garies of Iconoclast (by Belden) and here’s his analysis of power cords.

https://www.iconoclastcable.com/techpapers/bavpoweranalysis.pdf

Last year I happened to find a 75’ spool of 12/3 EPDM cable on eBay for $200. What a score! I think I paid more for all of the Marinco plugs I bought for all of the power cords I cut from that spool! I also ended up making a couple of power strips using heavy duty Hubbell outlets and the same wire internally.

The main thing I noticed was my system noise levels were virtually eliminated. Just dead quiet when no music was playing. It also helps running it all to an outlet next to the breaker panel. (I’m renting so it’s a homemade dedicated line.😉)

40E5874C-15AE-465A-B783-02F0AB07C833.jpeg
I have never done any A/B or other testing with power cords.
But I purchased a few Pangea cords, and just picked up these two Emotiva for audio jewelry purposes:
(maybe for future Tyr)
https://emotiva.com/collections/cables/products/xiec-power-cable

1663188321700.png

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #99,622 of 155,124
The Octo-Quads

I asked Jeff at BJC to build me a 5-foot set of their "OctoQuad" speaker wires. Based on Galen's time domain work on the Iconoclasts, the OctoQuads use two lengths of Belden 1013A star quad per side, for a total of 4x 14-gauge connectors per polarity. As usual, they were built to the highest standards; Jeff is quite meticulous. I am replacing a set of BJC Canare Quad bi-wires, so I needed matching jumpers, too. Jeff came up with a great design that continued the 4-conductor-per-polarity layout... in this photo, the top set is the old Canare Quad bi-wires (roughly hacked by me at the amp end, to accommodate the 6" center-to-center distance between the Tyr's binding posts):

Canare Quad Biwires and OctoQuads 01.jpeg

Nice, eh? Jeff made the amp ends a couple of inches longer so that they wouldn't strain the binding posts on the Tyrs:

Amp End - OctoQuads 03.jpg

Bunny ears... :)

Bunny Ears 04.jpg

So... how do they sound? Different. Bass is definitely more prominent, but as I've been away from the system for nearly two weeks, it's a bit of a cold re-introduction. Yeah, I know, I should have A/B'ed them, but I can always go back to the Canare bi-wires later. I am a bit proud of myself, though - rather than start twiddling with Loki Max immediately, I decided to let them burn in for a while... <g> I can see @ArmchairPhilosopher grinning and @Ableza sadly shaking his head from side to side.

More to come.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #99,623 of 155,124
I've purchased a few cables from BJC over the years and I've always been happy with their work.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #99,624 of 155,124
The Octo-Quads

I asked Jeff at BJC to build me a 5-foot set of their "OctoQuad" speaker wires. Based on Galen's time domain work on the Iconoclasts, the OctoQuads use two lengths of Belden 1013A star quad per side, for a total of 4x 14-gauge connectors per polarity. As usual, they were built to the highest standards; Jeff is quite meticulous. I am replacing a set of BJC Canare Quad bi-wires, so I needed matching jumpers, too. Jeff came up with a great design that continued the 4-conductor-per-polarity layout... in this photo, the top set is the old Canare Quad bi-wires (roughly hacked by me at the amp end, to accommodate the 6" center-to-center distance between the Tyr's binding posts):

Canare Quad Biwires and OctoQuads 01.jpeg

Nice, eh? Jeff made the amp ends a couple of inches longer so that they wouldn't strain the binding posts on the Tyrs:

Amp End - OctoQuads 03.jpg

Bunny ears... :)

Bunny Ears 04.jpg

So... how do they sound? Different. Bass is definitely more prominent, but as I've been away from the system for nearly two weeks, it's a bit of a cold re-introduction. Yeah, I know, I should have A/B'ed them, but I can always go back to the Canare bi-wires later. I am a bit proud of myself, though - rather than start twiddling with Loki Max immediately, I decided to let them burn in for a while... <g> I can see @ArmchairPhilosopher grinning and @Ableza sadly shaking his head from side to side.

More to come.
Is the low freq driver on the lower set of posts? Why not feed main cable to lf inputs instead of daisy chaining through the hf posts first?

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #99,626 of 155,124
just got my Jot 2, haven’t had much time to use it but I like it but I’m severely disappointed in QC. I’ll let you see for your self what the issue is, I would expect this from C stock

Sound wise though holy crap this amp has power. Only had like 5 min free so still have a lot of listening to do. But I’ll prob have to exchange this unit that I’m pissed about that.

Is there a warm up peroid with these amps in general heat wise and what about break in?

Attachments

• AF75F258-C76A-4588-83A0-7559C9D12D9F.jpeg
    AF75F258-C76A-4588-83A0-7559C9D12D9F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #99,627 of 155,124
@Ableza sadly shaking his head from side to side.

More to come.
Like I always say, if it makes a difference TO YOU then more power to you. Just don't try to make any magical pronouncements of Universal Truth and you'll be fine.

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #99,630 of 155,124
I have a cable or two from them too good quality no bs, but sometimes I like the bs and shininess lol.
I may well have some BJ cables in a van load of items I picked up when visiting @FLTWS, maybe some shiny ones too. 🤪The man was a fine host and extremely cordial. Finnegan and I will be going through a lot of boxes when I return home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back